Atheism is a position with assumptions...

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 2.5 Average
30-12-2014, 08:23 PM
Atheism is a position with assumptions...
Despite my "lack of belief" I do not consider myself to be an atheist.

I don't dwell on lacking belief in any theist claims, why would I bother.

I also don't assume science will answer the question of existence, nor look to it to guide my philosophy on anything. What is proven, or not falsified holds no sway on defining my position.

Those who do seem use science are addressing creationists and then take it that step further and assume that existence will be accounted for by science.(i.e philosophical naturalism). This is an assumption with no basis beyond assumption.

Is anyone who holds this position able to rationalise it beyond the standard canned arguments, which convince only the converted?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-12-2014, 08:27 PM (This post was last modified: 31-12-2014 12:56 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Atheism is a position with assumptions...
(30-12-2014 08:23 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Despite my "lack of belief" I do not consider myself to be an atheist.

I also don't assume science will answer the question of existence, nor look to it to guide my philosophy on anything. What is proven, or not falsified holds no sway on defining my position.

Those who do seem use science are addressing creationists and then take it that step further and assume that existence will be accounted for by science.(i.e philosophical naturalism). This is an assumption with no basis beyond assumption.

Is anyone who holds this position able to rationalise it beyond the standard canned arguments, which convince only the converted?

Don't obfuscate the primary prenuptials with rasberries. Often, the pertinent cat presents fabled necessities in the parking chamfer. Realize your net precedent. Triangulate! Save the best for the alligators. Ever the bastille notches the orchestra but Wendy is not green and horses will capitulate. Filter out the log from the turnstile and cry prevalently.

So there brown stare. Feed your inner walnut and resolve. Subject your lemon to the ingenious door in the presence of snow and animals. Aisle 7 is for the monetary cheese whiz. Faced with the kitchen, you may wish to prolong the sailboat in the cliff. Otherwise, rabbits may descend on your left nostril. Think about how you can stripe the sea.

Regale the storm to those who (6) would thump the parrot with the armband. Corner the market on vestiges of the apparent closure but seek not the evidential circumstance. Therein you can find indignant mountains of pigs and apples. Descend eloquently as you debate the ceiling of your warning fulcrum. Vacate the corncob profusely and and don’t dote on the pancreas.

Next up, control your wood. Have at the cat with your watch on the fore. Aft! Smarties ! Rome wasn’t kevetched in an autumn nightie. (42) See yourself for the turntable on the escalator. Really peruse the garage spider definitely again again with brown. Now we have an apparent congestion, so be it here. Just a moment is not a pod of beef for the ink well nor can it be (4) said that Karen was there in the millpond.

Garbage out just like the candle in the kitty so. Go, go, go until the vacuum meets the upward vacation. Sell the yellow. Then trim the bus before the ten cheese please Louise. Segregate from the koan and stew the ship vigorously.

And remember, never pass up an opportunity to watch an elephant paint Mozart.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 24 users Like Bucky Ball's post
30-12-2014, 08:30 PM
Science explains my existence quite well.

From the moment of conception and forward into childhood, science has a pretty good idea about how that all came to take place.

If you are uncertain about some of the biology, then I suggest reading up on it. Its fascinating

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
30-12-2014, 08:31 PM
You were lost? I'm sure you stick with "show me evidence".
30-12-2014, 08:34 PM
(30-12-2014 08:23 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Despite my "lack of belief" I do not consider myself to be an atheist.

^^^This assumption has no basis in reality.

[Image: 205495_10151724473103465_1533468322_n.jpg]

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 7 users Like Paleophyte's post
30-12-2014, 08:34 PM
(30-12-2014 08:30 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Science explains my existence quite well.

From the moment of conception and forward into childhood, science has a pretty good idea about how that all came to take place.

If you are uncertain about some of the biology, then I suggest reading up on it. Its fascinating

Excellent, tell me what science has demonstrated to you. I'm sure you're not another atheist who depends on evolution as rationalisation for your dependency on science to account for existence.
30-12-2014, 08:35 PM

I also don't assume science will explain existence, but I think it may be possible that one day it does. I also do not know of atheists who assume science can explain existence, including well known atheists like Lawrence Krauss who advocate for the possibility that science may eventually do just that. However, one thing I am certain of is that religion won't ever do the job.
30-12-2014, 08:35 PM
(30-12-2014 08:34 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  

^^^This assumption has no basis in reality.

[Image: 205495_10151724473103465_1533468322_n.jpg]

Apart from all neo-atheists claiming it. Re-read anyone of the founder's books.
30-12-2014, 08:36 PM
(30-12-2014 08:27 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

don't obfuscate the primary prenuptials with rasberries. Often, the pertinent cat presents fabled necessities in the parking chamfer. Realize your net precedent. Triangulate! Save the best for the alligators. Ever the bastille notches the orchestra but Wendy is not green and horses will capitulate. Filter out the log from the turnstile and cry prevalently.

So there brown stare. Feed your inner walnut and resolve. Subject your lemon to the ingenious door in the presence of snow and animals. Aisle 7 is for the monetary cheese whiz. Faced with the kitchen, you may wish to prolong the sailboat in the cliff. Otherwise, rabbits may descend on your left nostril. Think about how you can stripe the sea.

Regale the storm to those who (6) would thump the parrot with the armband. Corner the market on vestiges of the apparent closure but seek not the evidential circumstance. Therein you can find indignant mountains of pigs and apples. Descend eloquently as you debate the ceiling of your warning fulcrum. Vacate the corncob profusely and and don’t dote on the pancreas.

Next up, control your wood. Have at the cat with your watch on the fore. Aft! Smarties ! Rome wasn’t kevetched in an autumn nightie. (42) See yourself for the turntable on the escalator. Really peruse the garage spider definitely again again with brown. Now we have an apparent congestion, so be it here. Just a moment is not a pod of beef for the ink well nor can it be (4) said that Karen was there in the millpond.

Garbage out just like the candle in the kitty so. Go, go, go until the vacuum meets the upward vacation. Sell the yellow. Then trim the bus before the ten cheese please Louise. Segregate from the koan and stew the ship vigorously.

And remember, never pass up an opportunity to watch an elephant paint Mozart.

Yeah, what he said. Thumbsup

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
30-12-2014, 08:37 PM
(30-12-2014 08:23 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Is anyone who holds this position able to rationalise it beyond the standard canned arguments, which convince only the converted?

Got a minute...

[Image: MQEps4h.jpg]

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post