Atheism is a position with assumptions...

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 2.5 Average
31-12-2014, 05:15 AM
RE: Atheism is a position with assumptions...
(30-12-2014 08:56 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
Quote:Laugh out load Sorry you don't get to define my position. Also, atheists us the lack of belief position to remove any burden of proof for philosophical naturalism.

Damn all you guys sing from the same hymn book.
It's as if you all hold the same position, with the same doctrinal text. Oh yes, you do.

I'm not an atheist, and I am interested in science. It does not determine the philosophy I adhere to. IF science finds something relevant to answering the riddle of existence then I will listen. Until then I'm not using what it has proven to assume something it hasn't proven.

Sure, what has it proven around existence. Is the multiverse true for example?

Some do, some don't. There are strongly implied overtones by many atheists which claim the 'natural' (what we can observe) is all there is, otherwise why would so many address this as pivotal towards justifying atheism.

Justify atheism? Seriously?

In what way does lacking belief in an unevidenced claim require justification? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
31-12-2014, 07:52 AM
I accept the idea that people can lie and imagine that something exists when it doesn't.

I accept that some people are gullible and will accept the lies of others without evidence to support a claim.

My ability to think critically and analyze a situation with skepticism helps me to evaluate claims in order to determine if they are likely to be true.

One of the key requirements for evaluating a claim is evidence .

When evidence is missing, a claim cannot be supported.

The working areas of my brain that evaluates claims justifies why I am not gullible.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
31-12-2014, 08:21 AM
(30-12-2014 08:23 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Those who do seem use science are addressing creationists and then take it that step further and assume that existence will be accounted for by science.(i.e philosophical naturalism). This is an assumption with no basis beyond assumption.

If you aren't the Bozo then you two would get along well. Your strawmen are nearly indistinguishable.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
31-12-2014, 08:40 AM
I love it when people tell me what I assume and then criticize me for it.

Sounds like an ex of mine.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
31-12-2014, 10:11 AM
(31-12-2014 08:21 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(30-12-2014 08:23 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Those who do seem use science are addressing creationists and then take it that step further and assume that existence will be accounted for by science.(i.e philosophical naturalism). This is an assumption with no basis beyond assumption.

If you aren't the Bozo then you two would get along well. Your strawmen are nearly indistinguishable.

I had the same thought as soon as I saw this thread. They even have the exact same negative rep!
31-12-2014, 10:36 AM
(30-12-2014 08:23 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Despite my "lack of belief" I do not consider myself to be an atheist.

An atheist is one who has no beliefs so ...

Quote:I also don't assume science will answer the question of existence, nor look to it to guide my philosophy on anything. What is proven, or not falsified holds no sway on defining my position.

Okay, so you reject demonstrable knowledge in favor of holding on to some alternate and yet undefined philosophy.

Quote:Those who do seem use science are addressing creationists and then take it that step further and assume that existence will be accounted for by science.(i.e philosophical naturalism). This is an assumption with no basis beyond assumption.

Actually, science regards it as a hypothesis which is in fact grounded and based upon empirical evidence. So, your claim above is ... X WRONG!

Quote:Is anyone who holds this position able to rationalize it beyond the standard canned arguments, which convince only the converted?

You reject the 'standard canned arguments" as if they are meaningless. This only demonstrates your inability to reason and rationalize effectively.

You have said nothing that a theist wouldn't say, and therefore you are demonstrating theistic influences.

Conclusion: You are a theist masquerading as a non theist in an effort to dupe us into not rejecting your premise based upon your theistic principles.

You are done here.

Drinking Beverage

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
[+] 3 users Like Free's post
31-12-2014, 11:25 AM
(31-12-2014 03:52 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(30-12-2014 10:54 PM)Jack_Ripper Wrote:  Doesn't brown shirt refer to the Nazi Party. Are you a Nazi atheist?

Are you a 19th century serial killer, who murders prostitutes in the East End of London.
Did you really only have 5 victims, why did you spell Juwes incorrectly? Was that really you? Were you a royal with syphilis?
Are you really a member of the Nazi party which murdered 6 million Jews? As for the rest of your Babel I have no clue what it means. Jack is pretty tame when you put him next to the Nazis.
31-12-2014, 11:29 AM
Oh, it's you again.

What brings you back here?

[Image: giphy.gif]
31-12-2014, 11:53 AM
Your mom assumes the position.
[+] 5 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
31-12-2014, 12:51 PM
(31-12-2014 03:54 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Hurray just what we need another line of correct thought.

Hurray! Just what we need, another tit telling us what and how to think.

You don't like Dawkins? Fine. You don't like atheism? Fine too. You want me to agree with you? Present a well-reasoned argument that isn't a childish temper-tantrum. These one-liners aren't doing your cause any favours. Otherwise, go bugger yourself with a splintery broom handle.

(31-12-2014 04:03 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(30-12-2014 11:10 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Good for you. Since you aren't going to use science, kindly turn off your computer, get off the internet on get busy dying in a drafty cave of some easily prevented disease.

Go stick your tongue in a light socket. It's been proven to have a fair kick by this funny theory called electromagnetism but you don't give a damn about that.

This is one of weakest arguments regularly used by you lot. It would be funny if you didn't believe it to be true. Science has no information relevant to offer here. Just because it does in other areas, doesn't make it so here. Keep pushing that angle though, it's actually quite funny how an indoctrinated group offer the same canned retorts. It show there's no doctrine at all eh?

You keep conflating atheism with science and science with philosophy. Put the keyboard down, go figure out what it is that you object to and why, synthesize it into a coherent thesis and then get back to us.

Seriously. Look at the OP. It's six sentences that abuse the English language and try to address all three topics at once. Pick one topic and try to address you grievances at a little more length.

(31-12-2014 04:03 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
Quote:Sorry, you want philosophy. That's in the Arts department. They're big on existence over there. Go pitch a wobbly at them.

You try to imply that science offers all solutions, even to things which it doesn't or potentially. That my slow friend, is philosophy.

Did you even read my post? It implies no such thing. It explicitly states the opposite.

Science does not answer questions such as The Meaning of Life or The Reason for Existence. It doesn't even ask them. It recognizes them as foolish questions based on the misapplication of language. What you are shrieking about is philosophy. Take it up with them.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 8 users Like Paleophyte's post