Atheism is a position with assumptions...

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 2.5 Average
31-12-2014, 08:00 PM
RE: Atheism is a position with assumptions...
(31-12-2014 07:09 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Nah I'm agnostic, my lack of belief in someone else's position doesn't define mine.

None belief in a higher power makes you a atheist. While it is true you can be a agnosic, from what you just said, you are 100% sure or close to it that gods do not exist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectrum_of...robability

Agnostics are just another form of atheist. Just like humanists.

Quote:Then don't write anything.

Why are you here again if you don't care, or dwell on being an atheist again?

Quote:Take ownership on your ability to understand.

It is clearly you who does not understand.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
31-12-2014, 08:05 PM
Clearly brownstain has nothing better to do than troll here, he's been posting to himself for a solid half hour with no replies.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
31-12-2014, 08:10 PM
(31-12-2014 08:00 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  
(31-12-2014 07:09 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Nah I'm agnostic, my lack of belief in someone else's position doesn't define mine.

None belief in a higher power makes you a atheist. While it is true you can be a agnosic, from what you just said, you are 100% sure or close to it that gods do not exist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectrum_of...robability

Agnostics are just another form of atheist. Just like humanists.

Quote:Then don't write anything.

Why are you here again if you don't care, or dwell on being an atheist again?

Quote:Take ownership on your ability to understand.

It is clearly you who does not understand.

Damn, you really struggle don't you. Just keep reading other people's books, they'll tell you what to think.
31-12-2014, 08:11 PM
(31-12-2014 08:05 PM)pablo Wrote:  Clearly brownstain has nothing better to do than troll here, he's been posting to himself for a solid half hour with no replies.

I don't think you understand what kind of impact my inability to rile you has. You're (or is it "your" Shadow?) heartless.
31-12-2014, 08:48 PM
(31-12-2014 07:17 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(31-12-2014 05:15 AM)Chas Wrote:  Justify atheism? Seriously?

In what way does lacking belief in an unevidenced claim require justification? Consider

Mainly because those who claim to be atheists are also philosophical naturalists, which does require justification. Sure there will be atheists who don't hold this view but then their atheism is not active.

Well, how about:
"Naturalism is an approach to philosophical problems that interprets them as tractable through the methods of the empirical sciences or at least, without a distinctively a priori project of theorizing."

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
31-12-2014, 09:40 PM
(31-12-2014 07:33 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(31-12-2014 11:25 AM)Jack_Ripper Wrote:  Are you really a member of the Nazi party which murdered 6 million Jews? As for the rest of your Babel I have no clue what it means. Jack is pretty tame when you put him next to the Nazis.

I will presume you don't know much about the name you have then.
I got my name from dr.Strangelove the movie. You didn't notice it's not jack the ripper.
As far as your comments on color and the blind. The only way to convey color to them would be scientific. Unless of course you think the blind are incapable of understanding math and physics.
31-12-2014, 09:56 PM
(31-12-2014 08:48 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(31-12-2014 07:17 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Mainly because those who claim to be atheists are also philosophical naturalists, which does require justification. Sure there will be atheists who don't hold this view but then their atheism is not active.

Well, how about:
"Naturalism is an approach to philosophical problems that interprets them as tractable through the methods of the empirical sciences or at least, without a distinctively a priori project of theorizing."

How about you need to assume methods of the empirical sciences are able to, or least trying to address the question at hand.

Science is limited by our ability to observe. If you feel that we possess the capability to assess the totality of existence, then I think you should be able to justify this assumption. For some reason most naturalists propose "it's the best option we've got". This does not convince me as being a best option does not satisfy the fact that it feels like an attempt at certainty despite the inherent lack of anything otherwise.
31-12-2014, 10:01 PM
(31-12-2014 09:40 PM)Jack_Ripper Wrote:  
(31-12-2014 07:33 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  I will presume you don't know much about the name you have then.
I got my name from dr.Strangelove the movie. You didn't notice it's not jack the ripper.
As far as your comments on color and the blind. The only way to convey color to them would be scientific. Unless of course you think the blind are incapable of understanding math and physics.

Firstly it's babble. Babel is biblical. as in the Tower of Babel.

I would suspect Jack D Ripper may have been taken from Jack the Ripper, but who knows? I thought you omitted the "the" for whatever reason. Why did you use the"_"?

No idea what you're talking about with the colour and the blind.
31-12-2014, 10:04 PM
That's funny you trying to pass off other people's bullshit guesses about the identity of the Ripper as fact. Fuck you
31-12-2014, 10:06 PM
Babel was a play on words but I guess alot goes over your head.