Atheism is a position with assumptions...

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 2.5 Average
31-12-2014, 10:17 PM (This post was last modified: 31-12-2014 10:25 PM by Free.)
RE: Atheism is a position with assumptions...
(31-12-2014 07:31 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(31-12-2014 10:36 AM)Free Wrote:  Okay, so you reject demonstrable knowledge in favor of holding on to some alternate and yet undefined philosophy.

You'll need to tell me what relevant knowledge we hold towards justifying naturalism before I believe it. What did you require to believe it.

The relevant knowledge we have is quite simple; since naturalism is the position that everything arises from natural properties and causes commonly known as Physical Law. Physical laws are typically conclusions based on repeated scientific experiments and observations over many years and which have become accepted universally within the scientific community.

Now, since the only available options other than naturalism are supernatural or spiritual options, and neither one of them has ever been demonstrated to even exist nor affect anything in any way, then the most viable measurement we have is indeed naturalism.

There are no other options. If you think there are, then please present them, and present your argument that would demonstrate your option as being greater than naturalism.

Quote:
Quote:Actually, science regards it as a hypothesis which is in fact grounded and based upon empirical evidence. So, your claim above is ... X WRONG!

Lol, let me see. As science is grounded in empirical evidence, it therefore can account for what it has not observed/tested. Love your reasoning there.

What has science NOT observed or tested? Also, if you think a better method than naturalism exists to test anything, once again please bring your option to the table.

Now let's see who has a problem with reasoning.

Quote:
Quote:You reject the 'standard canned arguments" as if they are meaningless. This only demonstrates your inability to reason and rationalize effectively.

I reject the application of them. The retorts are so generic that atheists sound like theists, all singing from the same hymn book. I find it strange that you claim to be logical, but it seems only when it comes to disproving a theory you oppose. You hold no evidence, or use any logic to propose why naturalism is an appropriate philosophy beyond that as "science works" it must transcends what it has proven.

Since you are making claims against naturalism, then you are obligated to provide a better option than naturalism.

If you are unable to do that, then you are just like any other theist who comes in here with his woo and who gets WTFPWNED and then sent packing while holding his ass in his hands.

Quote:
Quote:Conclusion: You are a theist masquerading as a non theist in an effort to dupe us into not rejecting your premise based upon your theistic principles.

You are done here.

Drinking Beverage

Cannot compute, how can anyone oppose our impeccable logic. Must throw down biggest insult, you must be a theist.

You are a theist. In fact, you are a Muslim.

Oh yes, I "know."

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Free's post
31-12-2014, 10:19 PM
(31-12-2014 10:06 PM)Jack_Ripper Wrote:  Babel was a play on words but I guess alot goes over your head.

Alot is not a word, it's a lot. Was that a play on words too?
31-12-2014, 10:24 PM
He's obviously a theist. denies truth even after it slaps him in the face. Naturalism is the only viable pursuit of truth.
31-12-2014, 10:26 PM
(31-12-2014 09:56 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(31-12-2014 08:48 PM)Chas Wrote:  Well, how about:
"Naturalism is an approach to philosophical problems that interprets them as tractable through the methods of the empirical sciences or at least, without a distinctively a priori project of theorizing."

How about you need to assume methods of the empirical sciences are able to, or least trying to address the question at hand.

Science is limited by our ability to observe. If you feel that we possess the capability to assess the totality of existence, then I think you should be able to justify this assumption. For some reason most naturalists propose "it's the best option we've got". This does not convince me as being a best option does not satisfy the fact that it feels like an attempt at certainty despite the inherent lack of anything otherwise.

You misunderstand naturalism and science. I don't claim certainty, I claim weight of evidence and functional success.

Science - it works, bitch. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
31-12-2014, 10:26 PM
Lol wow. You atheists are failing hardcore here. You see now what I go through, Brownshirt? So much stupidity.

Truth seeker.
31-12-2014, 10:27 PM
(31-12-2014 10:26 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(31-12-2014 09:56 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  How about you need to assume methods of the empirical sciences are able to, or least trying to address the question at hand.

Science is limited by our ability to observe. If you feel that we possess the capability to assess the totality of existence, then I think you should be able to justify this assumption. For some reason most naturalists propose "it's the best option we've got". This does not convince me as being a best option does not satisfy the fact that it feels like an attempt at certainty despite the inherent lack of anything otherwise.

You misunderstand naturalism and science. I don't claim certainty, I claim weight of evidence and functional success.

Science - it works, bitch. Drinking Beverage

You're using logic to justify logic, but your logic says that circular reasoning is bad. Consider

Truth seeker.
31-12-2014, 10:28 PM
(31-12-2014 10:26 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Lol wow. You atheists are failing hardcore here. You see now what I go through, Brownshirt? So much stupidity.

And your stupidity has just got you another neg rep.

Keep going for the record of being the most stupid person to ever be on this forum.

Nice distinction.

Drinking Beverage

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
31-12-2014, 10:30 PM
Re: RE: Atheism is a position with assumptions...
(31-12-2014 07:17 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(31-12-2014 05:15 AM)Chas Wrote:  Justify atheism? Seriously?

In what way does lacking belief in an unevidenced claim require justification? Consider

Mainly because those who claim to be atheists are also philosophical naturalists, which does require justification. Sure there will be atheists who don't hold this view but then their atheism is not active.

Why does how one defines themselves as a label matter to you?

Based on what do you indicate atheist who don't hold a naturalist view are not active? What demonstrates being active then? You're just making assertions of unconnected ideas and seem to keep avoiding responses pointing that out to you.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
31-12-2014, 10:32 PM
(31-12-2014 10:26 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Lol wow. You atheists are failing hardcore here. You see now what I go through, Brownshirt? So much stupidity.

And yet you utterly fail to make any sort of argument, Dildo The Great Prick. Apparently you think you can laugh, and call people stupid. Even while failing totally yourself to make any sort of coherent argument. Are you 12 ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
31-12-2014, 10:33 PM
(31-12-2014 10:19 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(31-12-2014 10:06 PM)Jack_Ripper Wrote:  Babel was a play on words but I guess alot goes over your head.

Alot is not a word, it's a lot. Was that a play on words too?
I type on my phone I don't own a laptop. Excuse me If I use shortcuts. Is that all you got, nitpicking grammar?