Atheism is a position with assumptions...

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 2.5 Average
01-01-2015, 11:33 PM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2015 11:38 PM by Brownshirt.)
RE: Atheism is a position with assumptions...
(01-01-2015 11:19 PM)Kaepora Gaebora Wrote:  
(01-01-2015 11:08 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  it's you're.

also like there are the same type of car in Uzbekistan and Tanzania. i hear you.

Your argument is terrible and slightly retarded, so i guess it's not your fault that you think it justifies anything.

The fact that you don't comprehend elementary chemistry in which things are often made from the same type of elements is laughable.

Go back to the stone age, you'd fit better there. Tongue

Sorry i do understand that, what i don't understand is how exactly does this prove naturalism to be correct?

i love how atheists pretend basic science is understood only by them. Hell given how stupid most of you seem it's probably not pretence
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2015, 12:31 AM
I don't want to get all golden mean fallacy up in your grills but: FFS.
Both of you. (One significantly more than the other.) Can I please try to define some common ground? No goddamn progress has been made thus far.

There is a difference between methodological naturalism and philosophical naturalism.

Methodological naturalism is that which is used by science; natural things have been demonstrated to have existed. Nothing that isn't natural has been demonstrated to exit. Therefore until it is demonstrated that something unnatural exists one should test the idea that something unnatural should exist.

Philosophical naturalism is a position where one rejects claims of the unnatural due to the fact that they are claims of the unnatural and therefore they aren't falsifiable and have never been demonstrated.

Can you both agree that a universe exists and so methodological naturalism is a fair position to start from?

Furthermore:
Brownsleeves: Am I correct in that you're arguing against philosophical naturalism as you have deemed it to be unreasonable? (I am inclined to agree but only to the degree that it is the most honest position I can hold.)

Jacky_Rippa': Am I correct in saying that you're arguing for methodological naturalism and should something unnatural be demonstrated to exist you would believe it? Using your own example: If the self ordering nature of matter be demonstrated to not be a property of something in nature then it would be unnatural and Naturalism would be then demonstrated as false?

Also: Clyde should be congratulated for also trying to do this; seven pages ago.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
[+] 1 user Likes Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue's post
02-01-2015, 12:36 AM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2015 12:42 AM by Brownshirt.)
Oh you're going to spoil my fun, to be fair i have said philosophical naturalism several times.

Do you believe philosophical naturalism to probably be true, but switch to methodological so there's no proof requirement?

i think most atheists cross too far from methodlogical into philosophical and fail to recognise it.
02-01-2015, 12:55 AM
I have talked about nothing but physical laws, have I not?
The scientific method is the only viable path for the advancement of human knowledge, and is responsible for our current knowledge of the known universe. That's my position.
02-01-2015, 12:55 AM
(01-01-2015 01:59 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(01-01-2015 04:49 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  So your entire argument is based on generalizations because of some limited forms of experience.. and flat out assertions of peoples mindstates. Oh well how did you figure that one out?

In what way can you prove someone such as myself asserts naturalism or has a throne in my ass? You keep asking people to prove naturalism, but can you prove your claim ALL these atheists assert naturalism?

This is a typical ploy by the neo atheist.
it's simply a diversion which descends into semantics and definitions.

I note you haven't denied being a philosophical naturalist.

I do assert anything. I don't deny naturalism but I'm not certain of it nor think it's some definitive reality.

I don't really care to follow your questioning points because all I see you do here is make generalizations based on assumptions of other peoples "reasons." Anything someone says seems to be countered by a random alternate purpose.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
02-01-2015, 01:35 AM
(02-01-2015 12:55 AM)Jack_Ripper Wrote:  I have talked about nothing but physical laws, have I not?
The scientific method is the only viable path for the advancement of human knowledge, and is responsible for our current knowledge of the known universe. That's my position.

I hold that position. That's so non-commital that it could be held by a theist, agnostic or atheist.

The question is do you believe the natural is all there is? you have implied this a lot but seem to lack the conviction to directly admit it.
02-01-2015, 01:42 AM
(02-01-2015 12:55 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(01-01-2015 01:59 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  This is a typical ploy by the neo atheist.
it's simply a diversion which descends into semantics and definitions.

I note you haven't denied being a philosophical naturalist.

I do assert anything. I don't deny naturalism but I'm not certain of it nor think it's some definitive reality.

I don't really care to follow your questioning points because all I see you do here is make generalizations based on assumptions of other peoples "reasons." Anything someone says seems to be countered by a random alternate purpose.
i presume you mean "i don't assert anything".

What do you deny?
02-01-2015, 01:48 AM
There is no way that position could be held by a theist . That's the stupidest statement ever made.
02-01-2015, 01:53 AM
A theist believes in the world of the supernatural. However an Agnostic could hold that belief.
02-01-2015, 02:05 AM
I don't have any assumptions about things that don't exist.