Atheism is a position with assumptions...

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 2.5 Average
02-01-2015, 09:42 PM
RE: Atheism is a position with assumptions...
(02-01-2015 09:26 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(02-01-2015 09:21 PM)Chas Wrote:  *it's

What are we to make of something for which no evidence is possible? Consider

Naturalism doesn't assume that evidence is always available. Information is lost continually.

You are to make nothing of it. Just because we want certainty didn't mean we can create it.

philosophical naturalism assumes we can observe all there is. without some grand theory of everything which accounts for a self creating or eternal universe there is only uncertainty.

We rely on evidence to confirm our ideas. Without evidence, there is maximal uncertainty.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2015, 09:46 PM
Earlier in this thread you were implying that nothing is quantifiable. Can you prove this and please insert references.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Jack_Ripper's post
02-01-2015, 09:55 PM
A house is built with a secret room in the basement that the home owner knows nothing about.

There are no entry ways into the room.

Just because people cannot discover this room, doesn't negate the wonderful properties that rest of the house possesses.

So what if we can't know everything.
So what if we don't know how this natural universe naturally emerged.

I'm not going to believe something until I have some Damn good reason to believe it. And that reason will contain evidence.

We have evidence that the universe exists.
We have evidence that It's expanding.
We can examine that expansion and plot where stuff was in the past. We can do that based upon the information we have gathered about the physical laws of our universe.

The things we don't know...... we don't know.
But don't act like we don't know anything, just because we don't know everything

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
02-01-2015, 09:57 PM
Is anybody else amused how everybody has collectively skipped over DeltaBravo?

(02-01-2015 09:05 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(02-01-2015 02:27 AM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  No. (Though philosophical naturalism doesn't hold the burden of proof either.)

Of course it does. It asserts the natural is all there is. You would hope that you would have evidence for this claim, such as accounting for existence so nothing beyonf our sphere of knowledge would be required.

Naturalism can also be a categorical claim about how we define all things or all potential things. Which would be a pedantic/ definitional argument and I'm sure that's beneath you.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
[+] 1 user Likes Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue's post
02-01-2015, 10:03 PM
(02-01-2015 09:17 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  That is called assuming your conclusion or "begging the question".

If you can provide a solution to account for existence then your retarded circular position would have a foundation. Unfortunately it's drowning in bullshit.

Is this your game on these threads.? to ignore people who willfully state they don't assert to know all that exists is natural and don't assert they could account for existence or that, that is even a position that makes sense.

Instead just focus on randomness. And people ignored deltabravo because that was a jumble of nonsense unrelated to the thread. I'm proud that was just glossed over which usually doesn't happen.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
02-01-2015, 10:04 PM
Atheism is a position with assumptions...
Look pink flying dogs exist and I have proof[Image: 8d2983119d4aacf92e719db3502531b7.jpg]
02-01-2015, 10:05 PM
(02-01-2015 09:57 PM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  Is anybody else amused how everybody has collectively skipped over DeltaBravo?

I read it...I have no idea what it said...therefore, couldn't comment. Sadcryface

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
02-01-2015, 10:59 PM
(02-01-2015 09:33 PM)Jack_Ripper Wrote:  I know all to well what mankind doesn't know. But I'm not looking for religion to give me the answers.
I'm not either, religion has nothing to do with it.

If you're asserting we can observe everything and account for existence then you need to rationalise it.
02-01-2015, 11:11 PM
(02-01-2015 09:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-01-2015 09:26 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  You are to make nothing of it. Just because we want certainty didn't mean we can create it.

philosophical naturalism assumes we can observe all there is. without some grand theory of everything which accounts for a self creating or eternal universe there is only uncertainty.

We rely on evidence to confirm our ideas. Without evidence, there is maximal uncertainty.

Yes, so assuming evidence is forthcoming to reemove that uncertainty is still an assumption.

The evidence obtained does nothing to remove this "maximal uncertainity".
02-01-2015, 11:13 PM
(02-01-2015 10:04 PM)Jack_Ripper Wrote:  Look pink flying dogs exist and I have proof[Image: 8d2983119d4aacf92e719db3502531b7.jpg]

That regurgitated and reheated argument holds no sway here. Pick your targets. To be honest i don't think you can.