Atheism is a position with assumptions...

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 2.5 Average
03-01-2015, 04:36 AM
RE: Atheism is a position with assumptions...
(03-01-2015 03:35 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(03-01-2015 03:22 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Define 'existence'.

Define 'evidence'.

Define 'natural'.

After that, once I'm sure you can't weasel around, then I might answer you. Drinking Beverage

And you're right, being a dumb cunt must be tiring. Glad to say I can't relate. Good luck with that. Thumbsup
You missed the point, probably due to being a dumb fuck and then project weaseling. Who knows?

Project weaseling? Consider

Well, if your intellect is anything like your grasp of sentence structure, it leaves much to be desired.

So lets take another look at this.

"Tell me, what evidence do you have to suggest that we're getting closer to finding relevant evidence to existence being a a purely natural process."

(03-01-2015 03:35 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Existence - the universe and it's catalyst.
Evidence - to account for existence (see above if you're getting lost)
Natural - anything that we can obtain as evidence (once again see above if you're getting lost here).

"Tell me, what [to account for existence] do you have to suggest that we're getting closer to finding relevant [to account for existence] to [the universe and it's catalyst] being a a purely [anything that we can obtain as evidence] process."

Okay... Consider

So you're arguing that because we don't have 100% complete information, therefor your belief in the entirely unsubstantiated is justified?

So it's just a wordier version of "You don't know, therefore (insert my bullshit here)".

And we're the stupid ones? Right... Drinking Beverage

(03-01-2015 03:35 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Tell me how intelligent you are, anyone who says this tends to be a giant.

A giant? Consider

[Image: giant_warrior_by_velinov-d6793ud.jpg]

Once again...

If your intellect is anything like your grasp of sentence structure, it leaves much to be desired.

Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2015, 05:08 AM
Brownsleeves: What's the agenda?

Bozo: What's the ideology?

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
03-01-2015, 05:33 AM
(03-01-2015 03:45 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(03-01-2015 03:24 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  And like I said before, all you want to do here is generalize and presume anything someone says is cause by ulterior motives.

Yes that's because experience has shown that atheists, will state as much as possible but suddenly disappear when called upon to back their claims of the natural being all there is. This is primarily because of the dependence on evidence (or lack) to disprove religion, bit of a tangled web there huh? Unfortunately, there's no evidence for naturalism either. If there was some evidence which would rationalise a natural existence then you'd have something. The use of analogies misses the point here.

Quote:Is there anyway you could be convinced of someone holding the position they claim to take? What would it take? The purpose of why I deny it is because I deny anything in an absolute essence, and most of my positions on things come from a skeptical position. Even being skeptical of what I am and can be skeptical about.

So why join a devout group like atheism? You could join a theist group as well?

Quote:I'm not saying Chas denied that, but you indicated that same mental behavior with him and do the same to me when I deny it. And do the same to multiple other positions of people on this board on various points. It reeks of intellectual dishonesty.

Mainly as i don't believe atheists are intellectual honest, and want the appearance of it rather than actual honesty. The agenda of atheists is too strong.

So you're no different in being Intellectually dishonest and having too strong an agenda as well. Then you're going to go nowhere by your current paths if your assumptions are true. What is joining a group?

Are you just going to ignore anyones points to what bucks your claim of atheists. What would it take me to say or demonstrate that would make you not blindly disbelieve my position of not believing a definitive belief in naturalism?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
03-01-2015, 05:33 AM
(03-01-2015 05:08 AM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  Brownsleeves: What's the agenda?

Ego inflation via a fantasy superiority, fueled by fantasy knowings. Not all atheists, but most of those who spend every day on forums posting about atheism.

(03-01-2015 05:08 AM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  Bozo: What's the ideology?

The human mind is capable of coming to credible conclusions on the subject of god, the most fundamental question about the nature of reality.

The power of the human mind is essentially infinite, capable of answering all questions reality may present, no matter how big the question may be.

Humans are essentially gods, not limited in ability like every other form of life ever observed.

Wildly speculative assertions are totally wrong, unless they are ours. :-)
03-01-2015, 05:42 AM
(03-01-2015 05:33 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  
(03-01-2015 05:08 AM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  Brownsleeves: What's the agenda?

Ego inflation via a fantasy superiority, fueled by fantasy knowings. Not all atheists, but most of those who spend every day on forums posting about atheism.

So says the village idiot.

(03-01-2015 05:33 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  
(03-01-2015 05:08 AM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  Bozo: What's the ideology?
The human mind is capable of coming to credible conclusions on the subject of god, the most fundamental question about the nature of reality.

Sure, but not all epistemologies are built the same or work equally well. The best ones we have, the ones that have given us the most accurate information and knowledge to date, come up tits for gods. So, you know, there is that.

(03-01-2015 05:33 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  The power of the human mind is essentially infinite, capable of answering all questions reality may present, no matter how big the question may be.

Weeping

Wow, I knew you were a delusional loon who bought into some fucked up bullshit, but that's a whole new level of stupid.

(03-01-2015 05:33 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  Humans are essentially gods, not limited in ability like every other form of life ever observed.

Weeping

See above.

(03-01-2015 05:33 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  Wildly speculative assertions are totally wrong, unless they are ours. :-)

Methinks one doesn't understand what 'assertion' means in that context. Consider

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
03-01-2015, 06:38 AM
Wow, we got 'em both on the same barney.....cool.... Big Grin

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
03-01-2015, 06:41 AM
Hmm... What's all this about?

I've seen a lot of this before, telling atheists what they believe, and adding random extra definitions to atheism.

Not sure what the point is though.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
03-01-2015, 06:51 AM
One thing I've learned while on this forum, if you don't know what the fuck you're talking about, someone will explain it to you.

When you come here, expect that there will be some people who know more than you do about something.

We have science people. We have people who know the bible like the palm of their hand knows their ....

I'm a humble guy. I know somethings and lots of stuff I don't know. If you listen, you might learn something, but around here trolls and really stupid people are obvious.

If you have an opinion, say it's your opinion.
People will still ask you to back up your opinion.
But don't assert something as fact when you know it's not a fact. That makes you a disingenuous asshole.

We like the truth.
We base what we know upon the truth.

If all else fails, just obey the only commandment.
"Don't be a dick."

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
03-01-2015, 06:55 AM
(03-01-2015 06:51 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  One thing I've learned while on this forum, if you don't know what the fuck you're talking about, someone will explain it to you.

...one of the reasons I come back here...

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
03-01-2015, 06:56 AM
(03-01-2015 06:41 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  I've seen a lot of this before, telling atheists what they believe, and adding random extra definitions to atheism.

Atheism is typically defined as the absence of a belief in god.

That "absence of belief" is created from a competing belief as to what is a qualified credible authority on the subject of god.

The theist typically thinks their holy book is a qualified credible authority on the subject of god.

The atheist typically thinks their human reason is a qualified credible authority on the subject of god.

Each party comes to a conclusion based on trust in their respective chosen authorities.

Thus, theism vs. atheism is a debate between two competing belief systems, each based on a different chosen authority.

Forum atheists are often very confused about this, thinking that their "absence of belief" somehow arises from nothing whatsoever.

There are various reasons for this confusion.

1) The forum atheist is simply young, and hasn't had a chance to fully think their position through yet.

2) The forum atheist believes in the qualifications of human reason to address the god question so thoroughly, so completely, so unquestionably, that they take these qualifications as an obvious given, not realizing that an assertion of such qualifications requires proof just as any assertion does.

3) For some forum atheists, the focus of their participation is a desire to enjoy the experience of always being the challenger, on the attack. Agreeing that their position is also built upon beliefs would cause this poster to have to shift some of their focus from offense to defense. They find this requirement an unacceptable interference in their attack agenda, and so deny all belief.