Atheism is a position with assumptions...

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 2.5 Average
03-01-2015, 06:58 AM
RE: Atheism is a position with assumptions...
(03-01-2015 06:51 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  If all else fails, just obey the only commandment."Don't be a dick."

Suggestion for another thread. Why is that a commandment? Won't discuss it further here.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2015, 07:00 AM
Hmm....atheism is a "belief" system uh?

Baba Bozo. I'd follow him anywhere.

But only out of a morbid sense of curiosity...

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
[+] 3 users Like gofish!'s post
03-01-2015, 07:03 AM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2015 08:01 PM by ClydeLee.)
(03-01-2015 06:56 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  
(03-01-2015 06:41 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  I've seen a lot of this before, telling atheists what they believe, and adding random extra definitions to atheism.

Atheism is typically defined as the absence of a belief in god.

That "absence of belief" is created from a competing belief as to what is a qualified credible authority on the subject of god.

The theist typically thinks their holy book is a qualified credible authority on the subject of god.

The atheist typically thinks their human reason is a qualified credible authority on the subject of god.

Each party comes to a conclusion based on trust in their respective chosen authorities.

Thus, theism vs. atheism is a debate between two competing belief systems, each based on a different chosen authority.

Forum atheists are often very confused about this, thinking that their "absence of belief" somehow arises from nothing whatsoever.

There are various reasons for this confusion.

1) The forum atheist is simply young, and hasn't had a chance to fully think their position through yet.

2) The forum atheist believes in the qualifications of human reason to address the god question so thoroughly, so completely, so unquestionably, that they take these qualifications as an obvious given, not realizing that an assertion of such qualifications requires proof just as any assertion does.

3) For some forum atheists, the focus of their participation is a desire to enjoy the experience of always being the challenger, on the attack. Agreeing that their position is also built upon beliefs would cause this poster to have to shift some of their focus from offense to defense. They find this requirement an unacceptable interference in their attack agenda, and so deny all belief.

The problem is there are problems in your formulaic assumptions.

If the theist thinks their holy book is their authority.. what makes them conclude that? Did it just happen like you say Atheists wrongly think they say about their lack of a belief? Are do you proclaim that it's what, instinctual? How is that also not equally them using their REASON to conclude the bible is the authority to trust. What other way are they coming to that judgement if not that?

Actually you're a bit misguided by "forum" atheists. When you examine most forum atheists, they often poll and come out of their positions as more skeptical of their positions than general atheists. Actually more run of the mill Western world atheists are likely to fit your bill. Those are ones more commonly strong atheists who are ones more likely to hold unquestioning positions. Both will to a extend of the population, but it's less so in forum atheists than others, so to make that distinction is a weird choice by you.

And if Brownshirt had an altered message of, Many atheists hold positions that contain assumptions, he would be most certainly correct. Instead he just wants to misattribute that terms mean different things and blend illogical connections together based on his proclaimed experiences.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
03-01-2015, 09:21 AM
(02-01-2015 09:11 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(02-01-2015 08:40 PM)Free Wrote:  And you are a Nazi loving white supremacist cunt, right Brownshirt?

So there's that.

Drinking Beverage

You said the c word again, you are naughty.

Tell me a good again how you justify your naturalism? i could do with a laugh.

I could keep telling you over and over, as everyone else already has also. But since you have demonstrated that your white supremacist views greatly inhibit your ability to understand, then you are intellectually incapable of any semblance of comprehension.

Brownshirt:

1. A Nazi, especially a storm trooper.
2. A racist, especially a violent, right-wing one.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Brownshirts

Brownshirts are the New Black:

The Sturmabteilung or SA "Brownshirts."

You are exhibiting an extremely offensive position on this forum, because I am a historian, and I damn well know everything about the Brownshirts.

You don't belong here.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
03-01-2015, 10:05 AM
(03-01-2015 06:58 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  
(03-01-2015 06:51 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  If all else fails, just obey the only commandment."Don't be a dick."

Suggestion for another thread. Why is that a commandment? Won't discuss it further here.

Fuck you on the another thread - Don't be a dick is Stark's rule for the forum. You remember Stark - you were kissing his ass a couple days ago. Admin - the guy in charge - enforcer of the rule.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
03-01-2015, 10:11 AM
(03-01-2015 10:05 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Fuck you on the another thread

Thank you for not being a dick.
03-01-2015, 10:13 AM
(03-01-2015 10:11 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  
(03-01-2015 10:05 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Fuck you on the another thread

Thank you for not being a dick.

No problem. Thumbsup

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
03-01-2015, 10:48 AM
(03-01-2015 07:00 AM)gofish! Wrote:  Hmm....atheism is a "belief" system uh?

Baba Bozo. I'd follow him anywhere.

But only out of a morbid sense of curiosity...

Yea, me too. It's like those Darwin Awards... how it will end is apparent to everyone except the award recipient. Just so grizzly and fascinating. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
03-01-2015, 01:31 PM
(30-12-2014 08:23 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Atheism is a position with assumptions...

There may be a few, but the majority of atheists, like myself, do not assume anything. I do not assume that a god (or GOD, depending on how you roll) does not exist. But by the very definition of GOD given by most theists, its existence is unprovable and must be taken on faith alone. The ultimate assumption.

The second mouse gets the cheese.
[+] 1 user Likes The Drake's post
03-01-2015, 02:40 PM
The thing is, a christian can come along and say the stupidest shit and none of us really blink that much because they are slowly defining what it means to be christian.

In my mind christian is now synonymous with someone who says stupid shit

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post