Atheism is a position with assumptions...

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 2.5 Average
04-01-2015, 04:58 PM
RE: Atheism is a position with assumptions...
(04-01-2015 04:48 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Your justification obviously meets your requirements. To me you miss many pieces of the puzzle.

Yet you utterly fail to tell anyone what those other pieces are.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like Bucky Ball's post
04-01-2015, 05:02 PM
(04-01-2015 04:58 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(04-01-2015 04:48 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Your justification obviously meets your requirements. To me you miss many pieces of the puzzle.

Yet you utterly fail to tell anyone what those other pieces are.

Exactly. He wants us to rationalize why naturalism and science is the "best option" to explain existence, but refuses to specify what other options exist.

He fails to understand that since no other options exist, then there is no need to rationalize when there is only 1 option. Like, do we have any choice? If we had a choice we could rationalize it, but how do you rationalize it when you don't have a choice?

His position is simply absurd.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 1 user Likes Free's post
04-01-2015, 05:03 PM
(04-01-2015 04:56 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  So, is this thread circular or is it a circle jerk?

Consider

Both

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
04-01-2015, 05:08 PM
(30-12-2014 08:27 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Don't obfuscate the primary prenuptials with rasberries. Often, the pertinent cat presents fabled necessities in the parking chamfer. Realize your net precedent. Triangulate! Save the best for the alligators. Ever the bastille notches the orchestra but Wendy is not green and horses will capitulate. Filter out the log from the turnstile and cry prevalently.

So there brown stare. Feed your inner walnut and resolve. Subject your lemon to the ingenious door in the presence of snow and animals. Aisle 7 is for the monetary cheese whiz. Faced with the kitchen, you may wish to prolong the sailboat in the cliff. Otherwise, rabbits may descend on your left nostril. Think about how you can stripe the sea.

Regale the storm to those who (6) would thump the parrot with the armband. Corner the market on vestiges of the apparent closure but seek not the evidential circumstance. Therein you can find indignant mountains of pigs and apples. Descend eloquently as you debate the ceiling of your warning fulcrum. Vacate the corncob profusely and and don’t dote on the pancreas.

Next up, control your wood. Have at the cat with your watch on the fore. Aft! Smarties ! Rome wasn’t kevetched in an autumn nightie. (42) See yourself for the turntable on the escalator. Really peruse the garage spider definitely again again with brown. Now we have an apparent congestion, so be it here. Just a moment is not a pod of beef for the ink well nor can it be (4) said that Karen was there in the millpond.

Garbage out just like the candle in the kitty so. Go, go, go until the vacuum meets the upward vacation. Sell the yellow. Then trim the bus before the ten cheese please Louise. Segregate from the koan and stew the ship vigorously.

And remember, never pass up an opportunity to watch an elephant paint Mozart.

I have nothing at all to contribute to a discussion on what is really one of the more inane rantings I've seen on this forum. I just wanted to say that this post by Bucky Ball was absolutely epic.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 3 users Like BnW's post
04-01-2015, 05:09 PM
(04-01-2015 04:56 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  So, is this thread circular or is it a circle jerk?
Consider

Yes

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
04-01-2015, 05:16 PM
(04-01-2015 04:55 PM)Free Wrote:  
(04-01-2015 04:54 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  i don't.

why do you propose science can answer the question of existence?

What other options exist?

None. Uncertainty abound.

You have too much entitlement in your position.
04-01-2015, 05:27 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2015 05:44 PM by Free.)
(04-01-2015 05:16 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(04-01-2015 04:55 PM)Free Wrote:  What other options exist?

And you have no entitlement to yours.

If there are no other options, then how does any rationalization exist on the only available option?

Let me explain something to you.

Your issue is with the use of natural philosophy. In relation to this discussion, here is the definition of rationalize:

a : to substitute a natural for a supernatural explanation of <rationalize a myth>

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rationalize

Since you agree there are no other options such as a supernatural explanation, what then do we substitute it with?

The problem is obvious, and the question remains:

How do you justify your rationalization that we can somehow rationalize natural philosophy when there is no substitute to consider?

The only answer is that no rationalization is possible, or required.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
04-01-2015, 05:30 PM
(04-01-2015 04:54 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  why do you propose science can answer the question of existence?

uhhhh, maybe because they're doing it and shit.

From the standpoint of physics, there is one essential difference between living things and inanimate clumps of carbon atoms: The former tend to be much better at capturing energy from their environment and dissipating that energy as heat. Jeremy England, a 31-year-old assistant professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, has derived a mathematical formula that he believes explains this capacity. The formula, based on established physics, indicates that when a group of atoms is driven by an external source of energy (like the sun or chemical fuel) and surrounded by a heat bath (like the ocean or atmosphere), it will often gradually restructure itself in order to dissipate increasingly more energy. This could mean that under certain conditions, matter inexorably acquires the key physical attribute associated with life.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
04-01-2015, 05:36 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2015 05:42 PM by Tartarus Sauce.)
(04-01-2015 05:16 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(04-01-2015 04:55 PM)Free Wrote:  What other options exist?

I think this is the crux of the issue that a lot of people here have with you. There is nothing inherent within the position of atheism which addresses epistemology. You assume that atheism, as a position requires one to abide by ontological certainties. It doesn't, it's not embedded within the concept, it solely dictates one's position when it comes to belief.

Nor are there any epistemological assumptions to have for naturalism, or rationalism, or theism, or any other philosophical position not addressing epistemology.

You come across as somebody who makes assumptions about what others epistemological stances are based off of unrelated positions. Virtually EVERY objection I've seen you bring up has been epistemological in nature.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
04-01-2015, 05:45 PM
(04-01-2015 04:51 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(04-01-2015 04:48 PM)Free Wrote:  See what I mean? He won't engage by answering any questions such as I- and others- have asked above. I will ask it again:

What, other than science, is greater at answering the question of existence?

lol I can see why you're struggling now.

To be fair it's not really the fault of Free that you're an intellectually vapid asshole. Drinking Beverage

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.