Atheism is a position with assumptions...

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 2.5 Average
30-12-2014, 10:38 PM
RE: Atheism is a position with assumptions...
(30-12-2014 10:24 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(30-12-2014 09:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Every time I see a post from Brownshirt I can't help but laugh my ass off 'cause that's my codeword with Manly for shitting myself. "Girly One come in Manly One. Girly One to Manly One come in. Operation Brownshirt is in effect."

This happens often enough that you need a codeword? Gasp

Never a better time to bust out a video classic.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
30-12-2014, 10:38 PM
Physics discounts the bible, nothing more.

I know in the back of my mind that Brownie believes this.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
30-12-2014, 10:39 PM
(30-12-2014 09:31 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
(30-12-2014 09:22 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Oh you think existence means how life came to exist.

What am I missing?

By existence, I mean literally everything. We are an offshoot of that.
30-12-2014, 10:41 PM
(30-12-2014 10:16 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I think this is all about self awareness.

You find it hard to believe that you are aware of the universe.

You can't accept that a product of the universe can be aware of the universe kinda like a liver cell in your body that is aware of onions.

And since you can't accept self awareness, you cling to a fantasy that suits you. Hey man, whatever floats your boat. Just don't vote in my elections. That's all I ask.

Nope, it's about why do we assume that we can observe everything and as it is, not as we perceive it to be. If you can rationalise this you could be worthy of a vote.
30-12-2014, 10:43 PM
Science hasn't answered ________, so religion.

Prove to us why your religion is right instead of attempting to discredit a theory not yet conceived.
[+] 2 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
30-12-2014, 10:43 PM
(30-12-2014 09:15 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Those canned responses are collectively called "the stuff we can prove and back up with evidence "

Or as some would say ... knowledge

But since you're not interested in that, good luck to ya

You have some incredibly generic and over used responses. If you can't think for yourself, it's good to get someone with a agenda to think for you.
30-12-2014, 10:46 PM
(30-12-2014 10:35 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(30-12-2014 09:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Every time I see a post from Brownshirt I can't help but laugh my ass off 'cause that's my codeword with Manly for shitting myself. "Girly One come in Manly One. Girly One to Manly One come in. Operation Brownshirt is in effect."

Obvious solution: Stop tucking your shirts into your underwear. Tongue

If only it were so easy.

#sigh
30-12-2014, 10:46 PM
(30-12-2014 09:18 PM)BryanS Wrote:  
(30-12-2014 09:03 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  The best tool does not mean it can answer it, nor that we should behave as if it definitely can. Atheists believe this to be true without any evidence beyond disproving creationism. Sorry this does;t give you any more than what it gives you.

You realise many average "atheists" want nothing to do with active atheism don't you? Why do you think that is?

I do not think it is true that most atheists assume science will explain existence. I cited one of the most outspoken advocates for science's ability to explain existence, Lawrence Krauss, and pointed out that he does not assume science will be able to achieve this feat. He is very careful to explicitly state as much.

I've read and taken in the thoughts of many atheists engaged in advocacy, and frankly they do not assume things like you say they do. What they actually do is defend the pursuit by scientists to explain existence . That pursuit is what theists attack, as they must, because if that pursuit succeeds, religion's claims on the truth will once again be damaged. We defend this scientific pursuit because we want to know the answer to the question of how to explain existence, and if theist opposition to other areas of scientific exploration (like evolution) is any indication, we need to defend science from theist attempts to snuff out that pursuit.

The average theist is not an active advocate for their faith any more than the average atheist is. If theists were all active advocates of their faith, their evangelism would be even more intolerable.

Interesting, as I really don't see it that way you do. I find Krauss' belief as strident as a theists. Sure some theists do the same thing, same side of the different coin for me. Neither is welcome.
30-12-2014, 10:47 PM
(30-12-2014 09:14 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Evolution discounts creationism, nothing more. Without the ability to account for cause and affects basing a view on what we cannot account for doesn't say much does it?

As far as I can see, this question comes down to 'without the ability to account for and know everything, there is no reason or justification for knowing anything at all'. Which is basically solipsism and a useless line of thought. You may be a contained mind in an illusionary world. So what?

I am an atheist. I don't know why the universe exists or how it got here. I don't know why the physics of the universe behaves as it does and not some other way. I don't know how life got started on Earth. And I don't assume that science will ever find out. Talking about what science may 'one day' discover is about dealing with the idiots who bring up arguments from ignorance fallacies, and there it's only usee as a demonstration of why the fallacious argument is a bad idea. We don't know the answers to a large number of questions. Not knowing in no way makes the god hypothesis 'more likely' or even 'more plausible'.
[+] 1 user Likes OddGamer's post
30-12-2014, 10:47 PM (This post was last modified: 30-12-2014 10:51 PM by Paleophyte.)
(30-12-2014 09:14 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Evolution discounts creationism, nothing more.

A theory that successfully predicted the relationship between all living creatures? You have a damned odd notion of nothing.

-edit: Please excuse the dup post. I'm having network issues.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.