Atheism is a position with assumptions...

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 2.5 Average
30-12-2014, 10:50 PM
RE: Atheism is a position with assumptions...
(30-12-2014 10:43 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  Science hasn't answered ________, so religion.

Not sure what this is meant to mean.

Quote:Prove to us why your religion is right instead of attempting to discredit a theory not yet conceived.
Don't have one, just my own views. I haven't read a few books and decided some basic analogies involving Shakespeare making planes are sufficient for me to pay for Dawkins retirement home in Florida.

Some, who perhaps haven't thought about it much think the guys a philosophical genius. I think it's a sad reflection on how bite sized chunks of bullshit are so easily consumed.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-12-2014, 10:52 PM
(30-12-2014 10:38 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Physics discounts the bible, nothing more.

I know in the back of my mind that Brownie believes this.

You'll need to elaborate given atheists use it to batter creationists and anyone else who opposes neo-atheism.
30-12-2014, 10:52 PM
(30-12-2014 10:39 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  By existence, I mean literally everything. We are an offshoot of that.

OK. What's the point of it then? You obviously think you have some idea.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
30-12-2014, 10:54 PM
(30-12-2014 10:47 PM)OddGamer Wrote:  
(30-12-2014 09:14 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Evolution discounts creationism, nothing more. Without the ability to account for cause and affects basing a view on what we cannot account for doesn't say much does it?

As far as I can see, this question comes down to 'without the ability to account for and know everything, there is no reason or justification for knowing anything at all'. Which is basically solipsism and a useless line of thought. You may be a contained mind in an illusionary world. So what?

I am an atheist. I don't know why the universe exists or how it got here. I don't know why the physics of the universe behaves as it does and not some other way. I don't know how life got started on Earth. And I don't assume that science will ever find out. Talking about what science may 'one day' discover is about dealing with the idiots who bring up arguments from ignorance fallacies, and there it's only usee as a demonstration of why the fallacious argument is a bad idea. We don't know the answers to a large number of questions. Not knowing in no way makes the god hypothesis 'more likely' or even 'more plausible'.

I agree to an extent, however, without evidence nothing becomes more plausible unless you make assumptions...
30-12-2014, 10:54 PM
Doesn't brown shirt refer to the Nazi Party. Are you a Nazi atheist?
30-12-2014, 10:55 PM
(30-12-2014 10:52 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(30-12-2014 10:39 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  By existence, I mean literally everything. We are an offshoot of that.

OK. What's the point of it then? You obviously think you have some idea.

Of course I don't that is the point. Making claims of knowledge without some foundation is pointless and sounds very familiar to the religious does it not?
(30-12-2014 10:50 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
Quote:Prove to us why your religion is right instead of attempting to discredit a theory not yet conceived.
Don't have one, just my own views. I haven't read a few books and decided some basic analogies involving Shakespeare making planes are sufficient for me to pay for Dawkins retirement home in Florida.

Some, who perhaps haven't thought about it much think the guys a philosophical genius. I think it's a sad reflection on how bite sized chunks of bullshit are so easily consumed.

You don't like Dawkins? Fine. I personally think he can be a bit of an arrogant prat.

What's that got to do with the price of cheese?

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Fluoridation Mandrake!
30-12-2014, 10:56 PM
(30-12-2014 10:54 PM)Jack_Ripper Wrote:  Doesn't brown shirt refer to the Nazi Party. Are you a Nazi atheist?

No I had a brown shirt on when I created the name.
30-12-2014, 11:04 PM
Sorry, you seemed to have missed the reply earlier.

(30-12-2014 09:14 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Evolution discounts creationism, nothing more.

Evolution is a very functional and working bit of theory though, wouldn't you say

(30-12-2014 09:14 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Without the ability to account for cause and affects

Accounting for 'cause and effect'? That's physics, isn't it? Consider

(30-12-2014 09:14 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Basing a view on what we cannot account for doesn't say much does it?

Which view are people basing things on? Hence, what and why should/must it account for anything?

Much cheers to all.