Atheism is a religion, too

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-03-2013, 04:00 PM
Exclamation Atheism is a religion, too
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/03/1...=pulsenews

Straight from Fox News, so you know it's legit.

How could you even reply to such idiocy?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DylanC's post
19-03-2013, 04:33 PM
RE: Atheism is a religion, too
(19-03-2013 04:00 PM)DylanC Wrote:  http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/03/1...=pulsenews

And what are you doing on Fox News' web site? You'll never get that smell off of your computer... Laughat

He says science is a god. Really? OK. I'm a theist then, and quite proud of it. My science god is kicking his god's ass; science can actually heal the sick and feed the poor.

...it would rather be a man... [who] plunges into scientific questions with which he has no real acquaintance, only to obscure them with aimless rhetoric, and distract the attention of his hearers from the real point at issue by eloquent digressions and skilled appeals to religious prejudice.
[+] 5 users Like guitar_nut's post
19-03-2013, 04:37 PM
Y'know, when Atheists tell me that there is no such thing as an Atheist worldview, I'm the first to be like, "Shut the front door."

Three's a number of arguments for it. Some are strong. Some are weak.

Then there's this shit.

This is the most cockamamie article I've ever read on the subject. Like for real, I had to stop reading because it was so ridiculous.

Hello, article. I would like to introduce you to my wang.......... well fuck, it's not gonna suck itself!

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 5 users Like Ghost's post
19-03-2013, 04:44 PM
(19-03-2013 04:33 PM)guitar_nut Wrote:  
(19-03-2013 04:00 PM)DylanC Wrote:  http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/03/1...=pulsenews

And what are you doing on Fox News' web site? You'll never get that smell off of your computer... Laughat

He says science is a god. Really? OK. I'm a theist then, and quite proud of it. My science god is kicking his god's ass; science can actually heal the sick and feed the poor.
I blame the Facebook news feed!
I wonder what it is about the brain of the religious that constantly tries to equate science/atheism to religion. Perhaps a sense of comfort in "you're the same as me, therefore my position can't be threatened by you."
19-03-2013, 04:59 PM
I totally agree that it is silly to call Atheism a religion.

However....

I have met many atheists....even a few on this website who act in a very religious way about it.

They become all consumed with discussing and arguing their viewpoint, they only read books on atheism or obsess on science so they can debate their cause, they begin searching for atheism music. They begin to treat conventions very much like mega churches...Basically they let it take over their life.

This has always annoyed me. Also to be honest it kind of scares me. It makes me wonder how many of my ex-religious atheist friends are just replacing religion with a new "religion". That's not getting healthy at all. Like swapping one drug with another drug.

But yes, the article is silly.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
19-03-2013, 06:01 PM
(19-03-2013 04:59 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I have met many atheists....even a few on this website who act in a very religious way about it.

That is a fine piece of equivocation. What the article means (and the comparison to theists) by religious would include definitions 1 and 2, but you're describing the religiousness of atheists by definition 3.

It's not "religious" to be passionate about something. Seriously. I know you're attempting to show some rational, objective thought by taking a shot at a group that you identify with, but perhaps this was a misfire.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-03-2013, 06:06 PM
(19-03-2013 06:01 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(19-03-2013 04:59 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I have met many atheists....even a few on this website who act in a very religious way about it.

That is a fine piece of equivocation. What the article means (and the comparison to theists) by religious would include definitions 1 and 2, but you're describing the religiousness of atheists by definition 3.

It's not "religious" to be passionate about something. Seriously. I know you're attempting to show some rational, objective thought by taking a shot at a group that you identify with, but perhaps this was a misfire.
There is also a fine line between passion and obsession. Smile

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
19-03-2013, 06:10 PM

The same way we always do. You show them the definition of religion. When they argue (such as she does in this article) that atheists "worship themselves", you show them the definition of worship. Even people like this woman wouldn't apply such a broad definition of worship to the way she acts towards her God, and especially not towards "wayward Christians" that could easily be seen as "worshiping" to that degree. They only get to the conclusion that they're working toward by redefining the terms to make the title of 'religion' fit atheism.

But even if we accepted her premise that I worship myself, at least my god wouldn't be hard to prove.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
19-03-2013, 06:23 PM
(19-03-2013 06:06 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  There is also a fine line between passion and obsession. Smile

Perhaps not even a line. I think I qualify as both passionate and obsessed Smile which is why I took personal offense. I'm not religious, but I still care a great deal about morality and truth. And Christianity, of course -- it's a subject that I'm well-educated about, and it would be a shame to waste all that knowledge.

19-03-2013, 06:27 PM
(19-03-2013 06:23 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(19-03-2013 06:06 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  There is also a fine line between passion and obsession. Smile

Perhaps not even a line. I think I qualify as both passionate and obsessed Smile which is why I took personal offense. I'm not religious, but I still care a great deal about morality and truth. And Christianity, of course -- it's a subject that I'm well-educated about, and it would be a shame to waste all that knowledge.
Well I certainly didn't mean to offend you. I apologize for that. You wouldn't even come to mind as one of the people I was talking about (from what I've seen of your posts).

I just don't understand the atheists that take it -way- beyond that. The ones who obsess on it to the point of taking over their life.

I sometimes wonder if the fact I have always just been an atheist affects how I see it.

Now that I feel bad for upsetting someone Ill shut up and go away. Lol. I'll remember to keep my opinions to myself in the future. Bad me Tongue