Atheism is an idea and a belief system

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2015, 01:56 PM
Atheism is an idea and a belief system
Bet that got a few of you angry didn't it?

Thing is, the past few days I've been refuting claim after claim that atheism is a belief or an idea or "just another religion" etc. Sick of just saying "atheism has no dogma". Is there a better/faster way to refute their claims?

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2015, 01:58 PM
RE: Atheism is an idea and a belief system
So?
Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
12-02-2015, 01:58 PM
a swift kick to the groin works wonders....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
12-02-2015, 02:01 PM
Hug

While, in a way, I s'pose it could be said that atheism is a belief. TO lump it into the same camp as theistic belief is poor use of language.

As for 'It's just another religion." and all the "." and other 'wave inverted' type signs that go along with such saying, if that's the case.... you should ask the poser of said comment things such as,

"Okay... it's a religion... What are its services?"

Basically... ask them to try and show where any of th trappings that an organized religion has are that should, therefore, exist if atheism were another religion.

Or... the above posters method is quick, simple though effects may vary. Tongue

Much cheers to all.
[+] 2 users Like Peebothuhul's post
12-02-2015, 02:02 PM
Why take the bait? People like that need some kind of "us against them" altercation so they can say "See, it really is a religion!"

Tell them you'd rather talk to someone who has something new to say.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
12-02-2015, 02:07 PM
I think it's a vacuous assertion, it's probably best to respond with a quip like- Atheism demands evidence, Christianity demands blind belief. Now what?

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
12-02-2015, 02:11 PM
You know how you can tell that atheism isn't a religion???

Because if you give me money (a great idea, btw) -- you don't get to deduct it from your taxes......

Next

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 8 users Like onlinebiker's post
12-02-2015, 02:28 PM
Your mom is an idea and a belief system.
12-02-2015, 02:58 PM
(12-02-2015 01:56 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Thing is, the past few days I've been refuting claim after claim that atheism is a belief or an idea or "just another religion" etc. Sick of just saying "atheism has no dogma". Is there a better/faster way to refute their claims?
It's probably a waste of time trying to refute their claims, but ...
Just ask them what it is that they think we believe and then address each of those. e.g.
Claim: Atheists believe that there is no higher power.
Response: There is no requirement for atheists to support this claim, to fit the definition of atheist one must merely lack a belief in gods.

Claim: Atheists believe that we are evolved primates.
Response: There is no requirement for atheists to support this claim, to fit the definition of atheist one must merely lack a belief in gods.

Claim: Atheists believe in methodological naturalism and philosophical materialism.

Claim: Atheists believe that when you die you cease to exist.

Claim: Atheists believe that they can personally decide what is right and what is wrong. That they are free to change their personal morals as it suits them at the time.

And so on, and so forth...
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
12-02-2015, 03:05 PM
I would just say that no religion is the default. You then learn a philosophy/religion from your parents, community, library or TV evangelist.

Born in the United States, I might compare it to English being my default language. Other languages would come after, again from parents or community.

The son of a colleague was lucky and grew up with two default languages (English and Chinese). I was in my colleague’s office when his five year old called. Yang was speaking mostly Chinese with interspersed “5:15”, “2:30” and other times in English and I must have looked puzzled. His son was practicing telling time with one of those toy clocks and called his father for help. Damn cute.
[+] 2 users Like Walter's post