Atheism is an idea and a belief system

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2015, 03:23 PM
RE: Atheism is an idea and a belief system
Uh, sure Walter.

Time for your medication, now. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2015, 04:17 PM
My response would be....

We (atheists) all have the freedom to believe in what we want. Even believing in "nothing" is believing in something (or lack of). You (theists) are told what to believe.

So yes, atheism, which is an inadequate defintion as it only states a lack of belief and gives no definable meaning or replacement to the "whats, whys and hows" is a "belief" to a specific question, it however isnt an answer, like it is for you (theists).

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
12-02-2015, 06:00 PM
(12-02-2015 01:56 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Bet that got a few of you angry didn't it?

Thing is, the past few days I've been refuting claim after claim that atheism is a belief or an idea or "just another religion" etc. Sick of just saying "atheism has no dogma". Is there a better/faster way to refute their claims?

Ask:
Is theism (aka the simple belief that gods exist) a religion?
Then how can atheism (aka not theism) be any different?
Do they know that religious atheists exist? (some buddhists, jains, raelians to name a few)
Do they know that irreligious theists exist? (deists like many of the Founding Fathers)(tell them to read up on the Jefferson bible)
[+] 2 users Like RogueWarrior's post
12-02-2015, 06:37 PM
I would ask, is not believing in leprechauns a religion ?

If they say no, then retort, "Ok, now replace leprechauns with the word gods or pink unicorns."

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
12-02-2015, 10:09 PM
I wonder about the phrase "belief system". It seems redundant. Wouldn't the simple word "belief" do? If you took a sentence containing "belief system" and deleted the word "system" would it change the meaning?

Sapere aude
[+] 1 user Likes f stop's post
12-02-2015, 10:44 PM
(12-02-2015 10:09 PM)f stop Wrote:  I wonder about the phrase "belief system". It seems redundant. Wouldn't the simple word "belief" do? If you took a sentence containing "belief system" and deleted the word "system" would it change the meaning?

No. But you wouldn't be able to use it in an inter-office memo; it isn't business-speak.
12-02-2015, 10:59 PM
(12-02-2015 03:23 PM)kim Wrote:  Uh, sure Walter.

Time for your medication, now. Shy

You're going to have to explain why there was anything about Walter's observation and vignette that compelled picking on him.
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
13-02-2015, 09:01 AM
What's hilarious to me is when Protestant Christians (especially Reformed ones) say this type of stupidity that: "Atheism is a religion!" Protestants are Bible-thumpers and divide endlessly over very technical semantics and definitions of words like "justification," "sanctification," "election," "predestination," "inspired," "original sin," etc, etc, etc...and then they pull out this bullshit to atheists of using words like "religion" super loosely to include atheism in that definition. Losers, let's work on using common agreed-upon definitions, ok? Remember how you'd get all over my case if I don't know what "justification" means, or the X number of ways Paul uses the word "flesh" in his letters?

The analogy is that if atheism is a religion, then baldness is a color of hair. If we try to establish an agreed-upon definition of "religion" (which is hard to do) as maybe being an organized body who believe a set of dogma and worship a deity (except for some Buddhism, etc), then that is polar opposite of atheism. Most religions worship a deity, atheism doesn't and is not organized and doesn't have dogma. So you cannot call atheism a religion.

So that's not a fast answer, but I'm sure you could condense it for your purposes. It was more of a rant against religious idiots using sloppy language and, in so doing, are being inconsistent.
[+] 1 user Likes Learner's post
13-02-2015, 05:17 PM
I usually respond to this by asking for their definitions of atheism and religion. Almost invariably they define religion so broadly that it's useless and atheism so narrowly that it only describes a handful of people. And then tell them that. "Okay, by that definition, a chess club is a religion. Also, I guess I'm not really an atheist, but I'm still someone who believes that there are no supernatural agents the created or interact with the world; is there a name for that?"

I'm just thinking out loud.
[+] 1 user Likes KnowtheSilence's post
13-02-2015, 05:22 PM
(13-02-2015 05:17 PM)KnowtheSilence Wrote:  I usually respond to this by asking for their definitions of atheism and religion. Almost invariably they define religion so broadly that it's useless and atheism so narrowly that it only describes a handful of people. And then tell them that. "Okay, by that definition, a chess club is a religion. Also, I guess I'm not really an atheist, but I'm still someone who believes that there are no supernatural agents the created or interact with the world; is there a name for that?"

THE DEBBIL!!!!!!!!

just winding ya up...

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.