Atheism is an idea and a belief system

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-02-2015, 08:27 AM
RE: Atheism is an idea and a belief system
(12-02-2015 10:59 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(12-02-2015 03:23 PM)kim Wrote:  Uh, sure Walter.

Time for your medication, now. Shy

You're going to have to explain why there was anything about Walter's observation and vignette that compelled picking on him.

You're right - I was being an asshole... probably not the first time ... probably not even in this thread. The evil side of self boredom is never an excuse to lash out.

Sorry for the shit comment in response to your post, Walter - it was in fact, astute and charming. Far more relevant than anything I can contribute.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
15-02-2015, 05:57 PM
RE: Atheism is an idea and a belief system
(12-02-2015 10:09 PM)f stop Wrote:  I wonder about the phrase "belief system". It seems redundant. Wouldn't the simple word "belief" do? If you took a sentence containing "belief system" and deleted the word "system" would it change the meaning?
There's a difference between a belief and a set of beliefs and a system of mutually reinforcing beliefs. Christianity for instance is a system of beliefs (or memes if you prefer): Jesus is god, was born of a virgin, performed miracles, rose from the dead -- these are all individual beliefs in a system of beliefs relating to just one aspect of Christianity.

I concede that the phrase is somewhat overused and at times used where "belief" will do, though.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply