Atheism is not Responsible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-01-2013, 08:27 PM
RE: Why atheism is not responsible for anything you do.
(28-01-2013 06:48 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-01-2013 06:46 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  What do we call "missionary"?

I've just been going with "Oh my non-existent-god your boobs are fucking perfect", but I feel like there's a more dignified name for it somewhere. Consider

Making The Beast With Two Backs.
I dont know. Seems like a mouthful

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-01-2013, 08:33 PM
RE: Why atheism is not responsible for anything you do.
(28-01-2013 08:27 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(28-01-2013 06:48 PM)Chas Wrote:  Making The Beast With Two Backs.
I dont know. Seems like a mouthful

"I am one, sir, that comes to tell you your daughter and the Moor are now making the beast with two backs".

Othello: Act 1, Scene 1

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-01-2013, 09:03 PM
RE: Atheism is not Responsible
(28-01-2013 09:16 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  It seems to me that to other atheists this is a complete No-Brainer, but to theists, especially the ones I deal with everyday, it boggles the mind. It seems as if they have this idea that atheism( The lack of belief in a god) is responsible for some of the greatest atrocities in recent decades. From Hitler to Stalin to the ElevatorGate incident I have had theists on my ass pointing out that atheism is a morally corrupt worldview. Leaving aside the fact that Atheism in itself is not a worldview, atheism has absolutely no stake in morality. It has no creed, or moral tennets that we, as fellow non-believers, must follow in order to BE an atheist, or get some magical prize at the end of life.

Not a worldview?

[Image: cologne12.png]

Atheism - the no god hypothesis - doesnt want to rid the world of religion.
It wants to replace religion.

28-01-2013, 10:24 PM
I find it funny that christians will try and put the blame on someone else whenever something catastrophic happens just so their fantasy world/imaginary friend doesn't get ruined. It seems like christians can't seems to reconcile the fact of the possibility of Hitler living in heaven so they have to fabricate this lie about him being an athiest, that he wasn't really a christian, or the devil possessed him.
28-01-2013, 10:56 PM
(28-01-2013 09:03 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(28-01-2013 09:16 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  It seems to me that to other atheists this is a complete No-Brainer, but to theists, especially the ones I deal with everyday, it boggles the mind. It seems as if they have this idea that atheism( The lack of belief in a god) is responsible for some of the greatest atrocities in recent decades. From Hitler to Stalin to the ElevatorGate incident I have had theists on my ass pointing out that atheism is a morally corrupt worldview. Leaving aside the fact that Atheism in itself is not a worldview, atheism has absolutely no stake in morality. It has no creed, or moral tennets that we, as fellow non-believers, must follow in order to BE an atheist, or get some magical prize at the end of life.

Not a worldview?

[Image: cologne12.png]

Atheism - the no god hypothesis - doesnt want to rid the world of religion.
It wants to replace religion.

Wanting to replace dogma with free thought and inquiry does not make us a religion. We need organizations to protect our rights against the religious majority, and we have meetings and conventions so that we can have discussions about how to move forward. We don't want to replace your 1 hour a week Jesus prayer session with an hour of science experiments and singing praise to Carl Sagan, we just want to get to the point were believing in the invisible man in the sky is no longer an unofficial prerequisite for being elected President or any other public office. We don't want uneducated fools forcing teachers to teach mythology as if it were proven science. We don't want the man in the Oval Office with access to our nation's nuclear arsenal thinking he has a personal line to the man upstairs, and trusting the voices in his head instead of rationality and evidence.

Getting this done will require organizations with agendas, but that agenda isn't to replace your religion with our own. The agenda is to make religion a private matter, to get it out of politics and public policy. You can have your god and your woo-woo, we just don't want you setting public policy with it.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
28-01-2013, 11:40 PM (This post was last modified: 29-01-2013 12:23 AM by Bucky Ball.)
When atheists do it, it's called "militant" atheism. When Christians do it, it's called "spreading the good news", and "evangelization". The Fundies have their panties all in a twist over the "new militant atheism". In fact they have been doing exactly the same thing for centuries.

Atheism is the default position, LRC, until and unless you provide one shred of evidence, for your insanity. It's not a matter of "replacing" anything with anything, it's called "reason". You accept that for whicch there is evidence. Not until or unless. Belief, is insanity, as the default position.

A2, ask them how they feel about Jeffrey Dahmer being born again in prison. He boiled and ate people. Then he told the prison chaplain he was born again. Do they not think he should be in hell, and should get a pass ? He was saved, according to their f'ing system. If Hitler had said in his last moment "Oh Jebus, forgive me", would he be in hell ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

28-01-2013, 11:56 PM
(28-01-2013 11:40 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  If Hitler had said in his last moment "Oh Jebus, forgive me", would he be in hell ?

The thing is, they see this as right and proper. What it means is that the arch-nemesis *caved*. He *admitted they were right* rama rama ding ding. And so, he will be forgiven, because nothing is craved more by those who're caught in the mire of cognitive dissonance than the head-rushy feeling of being *right*. Even at the expense of several million lives not to mention infrastructure destruction...

Mind you, in my biography of Richard Feynman it says that a lot of Jewish people became atheists after the war because they just couldn't handle the idea that a loving God could do that to his chosen people. I don't know if true or not - I suppose a quick trip to wikipedia would sort it out, but I'd end up spending the whole day there...
29-01-2013, 12:23 AM
[Image: 1.png]
[Image: 2.png]

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 5 users Like EvolutionKills's post
29-01-2013, 01:03 AM
(28-01-2013 12:25 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  And then there's the other half of the truth. That these things ARE part of the legacy, not of atheism, but of atheists
Many of the atheist dictators and such basically replaced "god" with themselves.

Also, I'd say it's NOT part of the legacy of atheism because atheism is just something they're NOT doing. If they aren't doing it in the name of atheism, it's no more relevant than mentioning they don't play golf. If you find a few serial killers who didn't smoke marijuana, is murder a legacy of non-pot-smokers?

As for the OP, and theists who blame atheism for various of the world's problems, I'd say it's because it's built into their religion. Bad shit happened to Sodom and Gemorrah because the people there had weird sex or something. So they think if people are not worshipping god, or not worshiping him right, he's sending all his wrath down on us as punishment. I've talked to people who believe this shit. They have an us-vs-them mentality, they are doing the right thing and everyone else is a terrible piece of shit sinner that needs saving. So of course they get pissed off at atheists, because they think we're doing the devil's work just by opening our mouths, and they think our actions could send them all to hell in a handbasket.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
29-01-2013, 03:31 AM
I really need to send atheists a gift basket or something for taking all those hits for me.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!