Atheism is not Responsible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-01-2013, 04:07 AM
RE: Atheism is not Responsible
We accept cash in our gift baskets.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
29-01-2013, 04:31 AM
(28-01-2013 11:56 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(28-01-2013 11:40 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  If Hitler had said in his last moment "Oh Jebus, forgive me", would he be in hell ?

The thing is, they see this as right and proper. What it means is that the arch-nemesis *caved*. He *admitted they were right* rama rama ding ding. And so, he will be forgiven, because nothing is craved more by those who're caught in the mire of cognitive dissonance than the head-rushy feeling of being *right*. Even at the expense of several million lives not to mention infrastructure destruction...

Mind you, in my biography of Richard Feynman it says that a lot of Jewish people became atheists after the war because they just couldn't handle the idea that a loving God could do that to his chosen people. I don't know if true or not - I suppose a quick trip to wikipedia would sort it out, but I'd end up spending the whole day there...
The thing is, that is exactly a continuing theme in Jewish history, as long as there has been an Israel. The first book written in the Bible, (Job), was a rant for the Exile, and how Yahweh could let it happen to his "chosen people". Then all the other "covenant breakings", were Yahweh getting pissed and doing the same thing, over and over. Noah, the destruction of the temples, finally the diaspora. You'd think they give it up at some point. I'm sure it is true. I read most modern Israelis are non-religious. It would be interesting to see what they actually do believe.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

29-01-2013, 07:13 AM
(28-01-2013 01:29 PM)hedgehog648 Wrote:  The thing is Reltzik that it doesn't matter what a person does in this context, it matters why they do it.

There have been plenty of atrocities committed in the name of any particular religion (except Pastafarianism, we're a peace loving people), but how many atrocities can you name that have been done in the name of atheism.

Plenty of atrocities have been committed by atheists, but unless it is done because of their atheism then atheism is not at fault, the person is. Regardless of how many go along with it.
I'd argue the opposite case, actually. Stalin and Pol Pot did a lot (though far, far from all) of their evil in order to promote atheism (specifically, because Marxism calls for the abolition of religion). True, I'd be inclined to say that's more on Marxism than on Atheism, but I can see someone making the other call. I'd say that this doesn't stick to atheism, though, because there's no causal link. Atheism doesn't CAUSE people do these horrible things, even if they might do them in the name of making everyone an atheist.

The critical point I was trying to make is that, potentially, religion might instill a person with essential moral inhibitions to NOT do something awful, while atheism would not have those inhibitions. I go on to argue that this is not actually the case. But if in some alternate universe or potential future it WAS the case, this WOULD be a moral mark against atheism, just like going batshit crazy is a mark against going 72 hours without sleep. As things stand, though, that mark is pretty squarely branded on religion (or, at least, its most batshit crazy, least progressive varieties).

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail