Atheism is often a three-step process

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2012, 12:45 PM
Atheism is often a three-step process
http://theunconverted.com/atheism-is-oft...p-process/

I could totally see the Billy Maze infomercial, no?

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2012, 03:13 PM
RE: Atheism is often a three-step process
(07-05-2012 12:45 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  http://theunconverted.com/atheism-is-oft...p-process/

I could totally see the Billy Maze infomercial, no?
Then I must be a terrific athlete, because I made it in one dainty jete'.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
07-05-2012, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2012 04:37 PM by GirlyMan.)
"In other words, philosophy ain’t shit unless it’s backed up by evidence."

I don't agree with this. Epistemology considers the inherent limitations of knowledge and by association evidence. Feynman is rightly revered, but not for his philosophical contributions. ... He did have some cool last words, though: “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.” Cool

"Step 3: Adopt the same skeptical thinking skills that allow you to reject concepts like big foot, ghosts, fortune telling, time travel, etc. and then apply these skills to your more sophisticated, philosophical god concept."

But don't get fooled into replacing God with reason. Reason is a piss-poor replacement for God and it has proven it. Gödel the Destroyer was essentially the executioner of rationalism. Doesn't mean rationality isn't the best approach and attitude, it is. Just means we should resist the temptation to worship it.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
07-05-2012, 06:52 PM
(07-05-2012 04:19 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  "In other words, philosophy ain’t shit unless it’s backed up by evidence."

I don't agree with this. Epistemology considers the inherent limitations of knowledge and by association evidence. Feynman is rightly revered, but not for his philosophical contributions. ... He did have some cool last words, though: “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.” Cool

"Step 3: Adopt the same skeptical thinking skills that allow you to reject concepts like big foot, ghosts, fortune telling, time travel, etc. and then apply these skills to your more sophisticated, philosophical god concept."

But don't get fooled into replacing God with reason. Reason is a piss-poor replacement for God and it has proven it. Gödel the Destroyer was essentially the executioner of rationalism. Doesn't mean rationality isn't the best approach and attitude, it is. Just means we should resist the temptation to worship it.
I'm not replacing god with reason. In fact, I'm not replacing god with anything. There's no reason to do so. That would be like replacing "The Nothing" from the movie The Neverending Story. I don't need to replace it because it doesn't exist apart from being a figment of my imagination.

But if I were to replace god, it would not be with reason in and of itself. Instead, it would be with the critical thinking skill known as empirical skepticism, because evidence is the measuring stick I use to determine if my (or anyone else's) reasoning is valid.

Also, the reason that Feynman is not known for his philosophical contributions is because he didn't put much stock in philosophy. And neither do. As mentioned in the article, it's a nice form of exercise for the mind, but in my opinion, it's validity is measured by it's ability to predict or adhere to physical reality (e.g. the domain of the scientific method of inquiry).

I am the unconverted
07-05-2012, 07:59 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2012 08:04 PM by GirlyMan.)
(07-05-2012 06:52 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  But if I were to replace god, it would not be with reason in and of itself. Instead, it would be with the critical thinking skill known as empirical skepticism, because evidence is the measuring stick I use to determine if my (or anyone else's) reasoning is valid.

Yup. But get up off your knees in front of it, brother. It ain't worthy of worship and it's already told you as much.

07-05-2012, 08:42 PM
(07-05-2012 07:59 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(07-05-2012 06:52 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  But if I were to replace god, it would not be with reason in and of itself. Instead, it would be with the critical thinking skill known as empirical skepticism, because evidence is the measuring stick I use to determine if my (or anyone else's) reasoning is valid.

Yup. But get up off your knees in front of it, brother. It ain't worthy of worship and it's already told you as much.
Math is cool, and while I'm aware that some theoretical mathematicians believe that math is fundamental reality (e.g. the universe is reflection of math and not vice versa) I can't buy it because, you guessed it, there's no empirical evidence for Godel's incompleteness.

I reject the assertion that those theories represent physical reality for the same reason that I reject non-dualistic assertions like that of advaitism.

Both appear to be logically sound, and frankly, awesome mental concepts. But both are also unfalsifiable, and therefore cannot be distinguished from reality.

E.g. philosophy and math are cool, but they ain't shit unless they're backed up by evidence Thumbsup

I am the unconverted
[+] 1 user Likes lightninlives's post
07-05-2012, 09:09 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2012 09:22 PM by GirlyMan.)
(07-05-2012 08:42 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  
(07-05-2012 07:59 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Yup. But get up off your knees in front of it, brother. It ain't worthy of worship and it's already told you as much.
Math is cool, and while I'm aware that some theoretical mathematicians believe that math is fundamental reality (e.g. the universe is reflection of math and not vice versa) I can't buy it because, you guessed it, there's no empirical evidence for Godel's incompleteness.

I reject the assertion that those theories represent physical reality for the same reason that I reject non-dualistic assertions like that of advaitism.

Both appear to be logically sound, and frankly, awesome mental concepts. But both are also unfalsifiable, and therefore cannot be distinguished from reality.

E.g. philosophy and math are cool, but they ain't shit unless they're backed up by evidence Thumbsup

You empiricist. After a semester long critique of Cogito Ergo Sum long ago back in the day, I ain't even sure of me, brother, let alone your evidence. Girly is neither an empiricist nor a rationalist. Girly's a nihilist who creates his own local, artificial meaning as necessary on an as needed basis. Wink

07-05-2012, 09:36 PM
(07-05-2012 09:09 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(07-05-2012 08:42 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  Math is cool, and while I'm aware that some theoretical mathematicians believe that math is fundamental reality (e.g. the universe is reflection of math and not vice versa) I can't buy it because, you guessed it, there's no empirical evidence for Godel's incompleteness.

You empiricist. After a semester long critique of Cogito Ergo Sum long ago back in the day, I ain't even sure of me, brother, let alone your evidence. Girly is neither an empiricist nor a rationalist. Girly's a nihilist who creates his own local, artificial meaning as necessary on an as needed basis. Wink
You're not even sure of you? Please do expand.

I've had that thought once or twice, but only when I was a teenager under the influence of copious amounts of LSD (as well as a few other assorted, controlled substances).

I am the unconverted
[+] 1 user Likes lightninlives's post
07-05-2012, 10:33 PM
(07-05-2012 09:36 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  
(07-05-2012 09:09 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You empiricist. After a semester long critique of Cogito Ergo Sum long ago back in the day, I ain't even sure of me, brother, let alone your evidence. Girly is neither an empiricist nor a rationalist. Girly's a nihilist who creates his own local, artificial meaning as necessary on an as needed basis. Wink
You're not even sure of you? Please do expand.

Means I ain't even sure about me so why should I give a shit about other dogs barking?

(07-05-2012 09:36 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  I've had that thought once or twice, but only when I was a teenager under the influence of copious amounts of LSD (as well as a few other assorted, controlled substances).

Our recovery rate is undisputedly individual. Thumbsup

08-05-2012, 05:30 AM
I had a 3 step process but it was a different one
1 - Question organized religion, but still believe in God
2 - Get exposed to other cultures who have many different beliefs to your own
3 - Realize that without organized religion, God doesnt matter

The secret to a happy life is lowering your expectations to the point where they are already met
[+] 1 user Likes PeterKA's post