Atheism is often a three-step process

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-05-2012, 07:01 AM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2012 07:04 AM by lightninlives.)
RE: Atheism is often a three-step process
(07-05-2012 10:33 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(07-05-2012 09:36 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  You're not even sure of you? Please do expand.

Means I ain't even sure about me so why should I give a shit about other dogs barking?

(07-05-2012 09:36 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  I've had that thought once or twice, but only when I was a teenager under the influence of copious amounts of LSD (as well as a few other assorted, controlled substances).

Our recovery rate is undisputedly individual. Thumbsup
Spend some time in a gang-infested territory, or a war zone, or maybe even just the African jungle. It's amazing how quickly empirical evidence takes center stage and how clear as day your objective existence (and impending disintegration of said existence) becomes.
(08-05-2012 05:30 AM)PeterKA Wrote:  I had a 3 step process but it was a different one
1 - Question organized religion, but still believe in God
2 - Get exposed to other cultures who have many different beliefs to your own
3 - Realize that without organized religion, God doesnt matter
Interesting! Thanks for sharing.

I definitely went through the first two. The third one is tricky because I am good friends with deists and panentheists. They utterly and completely reject any and all religions and yet believe in a very obscure god concept.

I was in that realm for a while as well (a non-religious hybrid of advaitistism) and finally let go of even those more obscure, non-religious concepts in recent years.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2012, 09:29 AM
RE: Atheism is often a three-step process
1. Realise that science is able to tell us about the history of the universe and of our species, the books of the Bible are "errant" and that some should really have been discarded by now. Realise the kind of company you keep as a theist.
2. Hold religion and evidentialism with equal weight for a while, while your world view adjusts. After all, there is no reason to depart from the beliefs you hold just yet.
3. Realise that the things you accepted as a child that "God" has done according to his word are anything but perfectly moral, and reject God as being logically inconsistent with himself and with reality.

Having no reason to believe anything else that might be proposed, you have become an atheist!

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post