Atheism is religion by another name

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-09-2012, 01:52 AM
RE: Atheism is religion by another name
(16-09-2012 12:12 AM)Egor Wrote:  Y'all have more "shoulds" in you vocabulary than a Baptist minister protesting an Act Up rally. Lecture_preist

If atheism is true; if there really is no universal "should" handed down by a creator, then just keep your damn opinions to yourself. You can't argue for good and deny God, it's not rational--it's not logical. It's hot air.

So, if you can't pay my bills or kick my ass, don't tell me what I should do.

[Image: 05d.jpg]

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
16-09-2012, 02:01 AM

(16-09-2012 01:40 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Congratulations on passing Philosophy 101, please feel free to be pretentious and "deep" whenever you please. If you wish to cease being annoying to every single person you meet, please take a maths or engineering course. Thank you, and have a nice day.

What? How would math and engineering make me less annoying to people?

Quote:What you're saying isn't new, or deep, or interesting. Hate to be rude, but hey, I have a gun.

Me, too. So if we lived next to each other, we would be respectful because we wouldn't want a gunfight. But that's not us being good.

Again, I ask, what is "good"? As an atheist, you have to admit there is no such thing as good.

(16-09-2012 01:48 AM)DLJ Wrote:  However, there are degrees of goodness and badness as defined by our social and legal systems etc. For example, I think it is a bad thing to take another human life at times of peace, without their consent. There is consensus on this so it becomes law. If you disagree with me, I have to decide how and how far I want you to be removed from me (or me from you).

So, "good" means only what you prefer, right?
Quote this message in a reply
16-09-2012, 02:05 AM
Math and engineering and science, in my experience, tend to make people more practical and less flaky. Or maybe that's just because the flakes don't study math and science.

Goodness is subjective. Your philosophy has now caught up with the 18th century.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
16-09-2012, 02:06 AM (This post was last modified: 16-09-2012 02:13 AM by nach_in.)
"Good" is a judgement, an assertion about an action that is coherent with the prevailing moral values of a society. Said values are constructed over time based on the collective experience or history of that society and are not universal or immutable, as they differ from a society to another and, within a society, over time.

That's how I think of morality, is that enough definition?

Edit: for clarification:
"Good" or "goodness" is not a property of nature or natural phenomena and does not exist independently of human societies. Is a social fact, in other words, a concept that humans come up with from their interactions with other humans. Also, this social construct, is generally regarded as desirable for the usefulness it has for coordinating collective and individual behaviour to achieve objectives that otherwise couldn't be achieved.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
16-09-2012, 02:21 AM
(16-09-2012 02:01 AM)Egor Wrote:  
(16-09-2012 01:48 AM)DLJ Wrote:  However, there are degrees of goodness and badness as defined by our social and legal systems etc. For example, I think it is a bad thing to take another human life at times of peace, without their consent. There is consensus on this so it becomes law. If you disagree with me, I have to decide how and how far I want you to be removed from me (or me from you).

So, "good" means only what you prefer, right?

I don't recall using a reference to preference.

Dude, you know better than that.
I know you are smart and you know I can chuck it back atcha, so let's credit each other with a bit more.... whatever.... if you wanna see where lesser beings are trying to make a similar point about "good without god" etc., check out this thread that has started up again.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid170903
Seems these, pitifully brainwashed theists are only allowed on their pa's laptop on a Sunday. It's sad but you might have some fun with them if you feel like it.

16-09-2012, 02:30 AM

(16-09-2012 02:06 AM)nach_in Wrote:  "Good" is a judgement, an assertion about an action that is coherent with the prevailing moral values of a society. Said values are constructed over time based on the collective experience or history of that society and are not universal or immutable, as they differ from a society to another and, within a society, over time.

That's how I think of morality, is that enough definition?

Edit: for clarification:
"Good" or "goodness" is not a property of nature or natural phenomena and does not exist independently of human societies. Is a social fact, in other words, a concept that humans come up with from their interactions with other humans. Also, this social construct, is generally regarded as desirable for the usefulness it has for coordinating collective and individual behaviour to achieve objectives that otherwise couldn't be achieved.

Finally. It only took ten minutes of waterboarding, but we finally get to the truth. I think what you have stated is the truth if atheism is true.

So, do you think we have free will? From an atheist point of view that is.
16-09-2012, 02:31 AM
I really think Egor is simply having fun with the new members.

Or at least I hope that's what's happening.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
16-09-2012, 02:37 AM

(16-09-2012 02:21 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(16-09-2012 02:01 AM)Egor Wrote:  So, "good" means only what you prefer, right?

I don't recall using a reference to preference.

I know you are smart and you know I can chuck it back atcha, so let's credit each other with a bit more.... whatever.... if you wanna see where lesser beings are trying to make a similar point about "good without god" etc., check out this thread that has started up again.
Seems these, pitifully brainwashed theists are only allowed on their pa's laptop on a Sunday. It's sad but you might have some fun with them if you feel like it.

Sorry, that's not my conversation. And there is no good without God. There's only societal expectations, but there is no universal good, not without God. So, morality, for atheists is relative.

In other words, if we put all pedophiles on an island (Call it...Neverland). If we put all pedophiles on Neverland, and they had children (because some are women), and on that island they regularly made the children perform sex acts with adults, and in fact raised them to do that, what would you say?

Would they be right or wrong?
16-09-2012, 02:39 AM

(16-09-2012 02:31 AM)fstratzero Wrote:  I really think Egor is simply having fun with the new members.

Or at least I hope that's what's happening.

Do you have anything to add to the discussion or are you just going to stare at me in wonder? Shocking
16-09-2012, 02:45 AM
(16-09-2012 02:37 AM)Egor Wrote:  
(16-09-2012 02:21 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I don't recall using a reference to preference.

Sorry, that's not my conversation. And there is no good without God. There's only societal expectations, but there is no universal good, not without God. So, morality, for atheists is relative.

In other words, if we put all pedophiles on an island (Call it...Neverland). If we put all pedophiles on Neverland, and they had children (because some are women), and on that island they regularly made the children perform sex acts with adults, and in fact raised them to do that, what would you say?

Would they be right or wrong?

Easy. By their morality it would be fine. By my morality it would be wrong, and my morality also allows me to impose it upon others if their offense is great enough.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.