Atheism is religion by another name

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-09-2012, 06:43 AM (This post was last modified: 16-09-2012 08:28 AM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Atheism is religion by another name
(16-09-2012 03:44 AM)Egor Wrote:  I'm satisfied with the answers I've read in this string: If atheism is true, morality is relative and there is no ultimate good. There is in fact only collective opinions that are forced upon the individual.

So, when atheists use the word "should" they are acting religiously, because should implies a universal good that everyone should be aware of--just like the religions do when they use the word should.

Atheism is religion by another name.

Ed, you devil, you. I see you're yankin' the chains, as I suspected. Tongue
(from today) ....
(16-09-2012 03:44 AM)Egor Wrote:  RE: If you had to pick a religion, what would it be? (thread).
Now that I have freed myself from religion, I couldn't go back. I can't go back to staring at shadows on the cave wall now that I've seen the truth.

If a-theism is true or not actually has nothing to do with anything else. A position of "dismissal" of theistic claims implies nothing further. The question(s) of morality remain, and are a separate matter. The premise of this thread, is unexamined, false, and actually a non-sequitur, unfortunately. A-theism is not a religion, as dismissal is not a belief system.

Morality, has two aspects, personal, and group. What is good for me, may or may not be good for anyone else, on a personal level. As a group, we collectively agree to what we will submit to, as our group morality, to promote the maximum well-being of individuals in the group. The are a number of options with respect to this, ie change the laws, or ultimately, one can leave the group. Joining a group is not "forced upon" me.

This apparent reflexive, knee-jerk, reaction of theists, to put all their mental toys in either one neat little pile or another neat little pile, is actually about something else, which we can discuss at another time.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
16-09-2012, 06:53 AM
(16-09-2012 03:44 AM)Egor Wrote:  I'm satisfied with the answers I've read in this string: If atheism is true, morality is relative and there is no ultimate good. There is in fact only collective opinions that are forced upon the individual.

So, when atheists use the word "should" they are acting religiously, because should implies a universal good that everyone should be aware of--just like the religions do when they use the word should.

Atheism is religion by another name.

Why do you want atheism to be a religion?

A religion is defined by unwarranted belief. Atheism denies unwarranted belief.

Your emotional need to equate these is really quite boring and shallow.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
16-09-2012, 08:06 AM
(16-09-2012 02:01 AM)Egor Wrote:  Me, too. So if we lived next to each other, we would be respectful because we wouldn't want a gunfight. But that's not us being good.

Yes, because when a Christian is being good, it is far better to do it out of fear of hell. Consider

(16-09-2012 02:01 AM)Egor Wrote:  Again, I ask, what is "good"? As an atheist, you have to admit there is no such thing as good.

You are incorrect. Any logical atheist would tell you that there is a certain biological objectivity for morality. It has evolved alongside any social animal. So there are "goods" and there are "bads", there are just moral grey areas. At least we are rational enough to admit it.

Yes, atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
16-09-2012, 09:43 AM
[Image: i-love-not-camping.jpg?w=600]

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
16-09-2012, 09:57 AM
What rules and rituals are we supposed to follow? I'm embarrassed to say I haven't been a very good adherent to the atheist religion. Is there some sort of temple I'm supposed to attend? Will there be coffee and donuts?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
16-09-2012, 10:00 AM
(16-09-2012 09:57 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  What rules and rituals are we supposed to follow? I'm embarrassed to say I haven't been a very good adherent to the atheist religion. Is there some sort of temple I'm supposed to attend? Will there be coffee and donuts?

Did you recently suffer a blow to the head, dude?

Baby eating! Evil_monster

And fornication.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
16-09-2012, 10:06 AM
(16-09-2012 10:00 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-09-2012 09:57 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  What rules and rituals are we supposed to follow? I'm embarrassed to say I haven't been a very good adherent to the atheist religion. Is there some sort of temple I'm supposed to attend? Will there be coffee and donuts?

And fornication.

Oh, I've been fasting. I forgot.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
16-09-2012, 10:09 AM
(16-09-2012 10:00 AM)Chas Wrote:  

And fornication.

I am confused, was baby-eating befor or after the fornications.
Shit, i quit catholic church because i could not remember all the rituals and now that...

If atheism is a religion, then not playing football is an Olympic discipline.
[+] 1 user Likes Marco Krieger's post
16-09-2012, 10:21 AM
I skipped from page 1 to page 4 so I'm sure I missed several Egor gems that I could use to quote.
I think the more I'm on this forum, the more I think that theists are being intentionally stupid and ignorant.
I say this because it's hard for me to fathom that someone can honestly have this viewpoint without some severe mental disorder.

It would be like if I spent a year picking apples from a tree in an orchard and after all that time, I still insisted that apples magically appear in grocery stores
because that's what my preachers in church taught me.

The line "if atheism is true" shows that Egor doesn't even understand the term. Atheism doesn't make any positive claims to be assessed for truth.
If not believing in something until sufficient evidence is true, then.......then that seems pretty rational

How can someone play in our sandbox for sooooo long and not get some sand on him. It must be a miracle.
The miracle of stupidity.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
16-09-2012, 11:11 AM
(16-09-2012 12:12 AM)Egor Wrote:  Y'all have more "shoulds" in you vocabulary than a Baptist minister protesting an Act Up rally. Lecture_preist

If atheism is true; if there really is no universal "should" handed down by a creator, then just keep your damn opinions to yourself. You can't argue for good and deny God, it's not rational--it's not logical. It's hot air.

So, if you can't pay my bills or kick my ass, don't tell me what I should do.

You've convinced me. I will start killing, raping, pillaging, committing larceny, and become and arson.