Atheism is religion by another name

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-09-2012, 03:28 PM (This post was last modified: 16-09-2012 03:38 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Atheism is religion by another name
(16-09-2012 03:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-09-2012 03:11 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  As Chas has pointed out before, biocentrism is nothing more than what the physicists have been calling the strong anthropic principle for a while now. (Note that Chas himself don't seem to buy it.) The act of observation is the act of creation (or manifestation or realization or collapsion, whatever you want to call it). Girly just takes the next logical babystep.

Yeppers, I like my coffee strong and my anthropics weak. Drinking Beverage

But your opinion is qualified by the fact you stopped spiking your coffee decades ago. I haven't. Wink

(16-09-2012 03:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  Girly's 'next logical babystep' goes over a cliff.

Headfirst into the abyss. ... Sure hope HoC's still got my belay on. ... Probably off drawing Gwynnies or petting George or something. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
16-09-2012, 04:10 PM

(16-09-2012 02:14 PM)Vosur Wrote:  That just makes you a pantheist. Drinking Beverage

Acosmic monist, actually. Let's get our terminology correct.Smartass

(16-09-2012 02:15 PM)nach_in Wrote:  I still don't understand where you think this god thingy is, if everything that exist is god then why not just call it universe like the rest of the world and stop trying to attribute it some sort of personality?

Because "God" is only three letters, not eight. And "universe" connotes only what is perceived with the senses or tools to aid the senses. "Universe" doesn't typically include mind.

(16-09-2012 03:05 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Morality aside, Atheism cannot be "true", because it's not an assertion. "True" and "false" apply only to assertions. Atheism is simply a lack of belief in God. It's not a claim; it's not a doctrine. It's just a lack of belief. For this reason, saying "if Atheism is true..." is nonsensical.

Atheism has traditionally meant the belief that there is no God. These days, you try to get away from the illogic of stating there is no God and redefine atheism to mean simply a lack of belief, as if you were a garden slug of some kind. But that's just word-wrangling. It's evasion.

Quote:Additionally, it can also not be a "religion", because a religion involves ritual, belief, and worship of deified figures. I say again, Atheism is simply a lack of belief. Nothing more. For this reason, saying "Atheism is a religion" is also nonsensical.

As for the rest of your argument; I'll let the others continue their correction(s). They seem do be doing a decent job.

Atheism is faith. Unless you go with your convoluted new usage of the word, which really defines agnosticism or apatheism. Given your definition of atheism, my dog is an atheist. And that's absurd. You know very well what is meant by the term God, and you believe said God does not exist. That's what makes you an atheist.[/quote]
Quote this message in a reply
16-09-2012, 04:11 PM
(16-09-2012 03:28 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(16-09-2012 03:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yeppers, I like my coffee strong and my anthropics weak. Drinking Beverage

But your opinion is qualified by the fact you stopped spiking your coffee decades ago. I haven't. Wink

You make a good argument. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
16-09-2012, 04:13 PM
Atheism is religion by another definition of religion that would exclude all current religions.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
16-09-2012, 04:15 PM
(16-09-2012 04:10 PM)Egor Wrote:  
(16-09-2012 02:14 PM)Vosur Wrote:  That just makes you a pantheist. Drinking Beverage

Acosmic monist, actually. Let's get our terminology correct.Smartass

(16-09-2012 02:15 PM)nach_in Wrote:  I still don't understand where you think this god thingy is, if everything that exist is god then why not just call it universe like the rest of the world and stop trying to attribute it some sort of personality?

Because "God" is only three letters, not eight. And "universe" connotes only what is perceived with the senses or tools to aid the senses. "Universe" doesn't typically include mind.

(16-09-2012 03:05 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Morality aside, Atheism cannot be "true", because it's not an assertion. "True" and "false" apply only to assertions. Atheism is simply a lack of belief in God. It's not a claim; it's not a doctrine. It's just a lack of belief. For this reason, saying "if Atheism is true..." is nonsensical.

Atheism has traditionally meant the belief that there is no God. These days, you try to get away from the illogic of stating there is no God and redefine atheism to mean simply a lack of belief, as if you were a garden slug of some kind. But that's just word-wrangling. It's evasion.

Quote:Additionally, it can also not be a "religion", because a religion involves ritual, belief, and worship of deified figures. I say again, Atheism is simply a lack of belief. Nothing more. For this reason, saying "Atheism is a religion" is also nonsensical.

As for the rest of your argument; I'll let the others continue their correction(s). They seem do be doing a decent job.

Atheism is faith. Unless you go with your convoluted new usage of the word, which really defines agnosticism or apatheism. Given your definition of atheism, my dog is an atheist. And that's absurd. You know very well what is meant by the term God, and you believe said God does not exist. That's what makes you an atheist.
[/quote]

No, you are the one playing fast and loose with words.

There is no evidence of gods or faeries or spirits or '57 Chevies orbiting Pluto. This is not a faith position.

And your dog is not an atheist - you are his god.

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
16-09-2012, 05:27 PM
(16-09-2012 04:15 PM)Chas Wrote:  There is no evidence of ... '57 Chevies orbiting Pluto.

Mmm... I'm leery on this one. And maybe that dog thing. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
16-09-2012, 05:39 PM
(16-09-2012 02:01 PM)Egor Wrote:  
(16-09-2012 01:45 PM)morondog Wrote:  Unless he has gone back to Veridicanism he eventually abandoned it a few months ago...

Correct as usual, Morondog: I have no religious sentiments whatsoever, not any longer. I believe God exists, but I believe all that exists is God. That being the case, I am actually an atheist and a theist at the same time. God can't have a god, so there is no God, but God exists because God is the only thing that exists.

I'm done fooling myself; in paradox there is truth.

You're labeling the universe god.
We already have a name for the universe. It's called the universe.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
16-09-2012, 05:42 PM
(16-09-2012 05:39 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  
(16-09-2012 02:01 PM)Egor Wrote:  Correct as usual, Morondog: I have no religious sentiments whatsoever, not any longer. I believe God exists, but I believe all that exists is God. That being the case, I am actually an atheist and a theist at the same time. God can't have a god, so there is no God, but God exists because God is the only thing that exists.

I'm done fooling myself; in paradox there is truth.

You're labeling the universe god.
We already have a name for the universe. It's called the universe.

no, he thinks the universe has a mind of its own, and our minds are just the same mind but compartmentalized in our brains so it's all the same. The logic is undeniable! we have minds therefore everything is a mind!! Hobo

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
16-09-2012, 06:02 PM
Egor let me try this

Let's pretend that you believe that you have an invisible, intangible hat on your head.
You believe it down to your very core. You also believe that everyone else is also wearing an invisible, intangible hat on their head.
This is your own personal belief.

You can assert that other people believe that they aren't wearing this kind of hat.
But do you also understand that others simply lack your belief. That belief is not banging around in their heads. It's not present.

I lack a third eye on my forehead. i don't just believe it's not there. I really don't have it. I lack it. It's not present.
That's what atheism is. We lack the belief. You have the belief, just like someone can have a belief that they are wearing an invisible, intangible hat.

You have something extra going on inside your head that plays out in all your daily activities. It's a belief in a god. Your mental menagerie exists within your mind.
We lack that. We don't have it. We see the world as it is.

We see a rose that is red. You see a rose that has been sprinkled with red reflective dust from god. You add in an imaginative explanation that is false.
There is no reflective red dust on the rose. Your world view gives you the wrong answers to just about everything because you can't accept reality.

I don't know why this is, but all the evidence that you provide by how you think the world functions is diametrically opposed by observation of the natural world.

You are in fact living in a fantasy world.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
16-09-2012, 06:14 PM
(16-09-2012 05:27 PM)kim Wrote:  
(16-09-2012 04:15 PM)Chas Wrote:  There is no evidence of ... '57 Chevies orbiting Pluto.

Mmm... I'm leery on this one. And maybe that dog thing. Dodgy

I'm pretty sure of the Chevies. Some dogs are atheists. All cats are gods.Bowing

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post