Atheism is the only rational position to take

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-08-2017, 02:16 PM
I'm tired of hearing it. I hear it on the radio, on the tv, see it plastered all over the internet: atheism is irrational.

No it is not. atheism is the only rational position to take.

Atheism is an individuals lack of belief in or rejection of the notion of a god or gods. That's all it is. It is not a worldview. It's a position on a single issue.

Reason is compatible only with the primacy of existence principle. This is the principle that the things that exist, that facts, are what they are independent of conscious activity, including the activity of reason, which is the identification of the facts that our senses perceive. It does not create facts or alter them but identifies and categorizes them in the form of concepts. If I perceive an object, say an orange, and I identify it as an elephant, it will remain an orange. It won't transform into an elephant in order to conform to my conscious activity. In short, wishing doesn't make it so. This fact is self evident and axiomatic. It does not need to be proved. In fact, if the primacy of existence were not true, there'd be no such thing as proof and no need for it.

Theism holds the opposite principle: the primacy of consciousness. This is the principle that the things that exist are dependent upon and can be altered by conscious activity such as willing. It holds that "wishing does make it so".

For this reason theism is incompatible with reason. Therefor atheism is the only rational position to take.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 17 users Like true scotsman's post
02-08-2017, 02:21 PM
RE: Atheism is the only rational position to take
[Image: TchkwlH.jpg]

#sigh
[+] 9 users Like GirlyMan's post
02-08-2017, 02:23 PM
Who is saying that atheism is irrational and why? The only people I’ve met who feel that are the ones who employ the argument from popularity or the bandwagon argument, that is, “50 Million Elvis Fans Can’t Be Wrong!”

A rejection of evidence-free claims is entirely justified. “Because I say so” only works on children and even then, not for very long.
[+] 3 users Like Rachel's post
02-08-2017, 02:52 PM
(02-08-2017 02:21 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  [Image: TchkwlH.jpg]

Very nice! but the ears need some workSmile

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
02-08-2017, 03:04 PM
(02-08-2017 02:23 PM)Rachel Wrote:  Who is saying that atheism is irrational and why? The only people I’ve met who feel that are the ones who employ the argument from popularity or the bandwagon argument, that is, “50 Million Elvis Fans Can’t Be Wrong!”

A rejection of evidence-free claims is entirely justified. “Because I say so” only works on children and even then, not for very long.

Many, many theists. Just do a search for "atheism is irrational" and you'll find many hits.

02-08-2017, 03:08 PM
(02-08-2017 02:23 PM)Rachel Wrote:  Who is saying that atheism is irrational and why? The only people I’ve met who feel that are the ones who employ the argument from popularity or the bandwagon argument, that is, “50 Million Elvis Fans Can’t Be Wrong!”

Here's just one example: http://www.conservapedia.com/Atheism_and_irrationality

02-08-2017, 03:21 PM
The best part is when you break down why it's supposedly irrational, the vast majority, if not all, of the reasoning given is itself irrational. Most of it boils down to A) that many people can't be wrong (yes they can) and/or B) they just can't fathom how things came to be without a god (sucks for you).
[+] 7 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
02-08-2017, 03:22 PM
(02-08-2017 03:08 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  

Here's just one example: http://www.conservapedia.com/Atheism_and_irrationality

That has to be a record most shit loaded into a webpage.
[+] 4 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
02-08-2017, 03:33 PM
Either here or over on atheistforums, one of the trolls recently posted a cartoon with a guy in the library and you could see three rows of bookshelves -- religion, science and atheism. With only the latter empty and with cobwebs in the corners.

The message being, I suppose, that atheism is intellectually bankrupt and based on nothing. In a backhanded way it IS based on nothing -- on the absence of valid substantiation, evidence or logical argument for theism -- which leads to there being no valid reason to believe theism's claims. And it is a narrow belief position on a single topic. So there isn't much to write about it as such. You'd have better luck filling a bookshelf on humanism or empiricism (or science, obviously).
[+] 4 users Like mordant's post
02-08-2017, 03:57 PM
(02-08-2017 03:33 PM)mordant Wrote:  Either here or over on atheistforums, one of the trolls recently posted a cartoon with a guy in the library and you could see three rows of bookshelves -- religion, science and atheism. With only the latter empty and with cobwebs in the corners.

The message being, I suppose, that atheism is intellectually bankrupt and based on nothing. In a backhanded way it IS based on nothing -- on the absence of valid substantiation, evidence or logical argument for theism -- which leads to there being no valid reason to believe theism's claims. And it is a narrow belief position on a single topic. So there isn't much to write about it as such. You'd have better luck filling a bookshelf on humanism or empiricism (or science, obviously).

And yet they are always complaining about all the books written by the "new atheists".

[+] 2 users Like true scotsman's post