Atheism is the only rational position to take

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-08-2017, 12:05 PM
(14-08-2017 07:41 AM)mordant Wrote:  I'd wager most atheists don't believe existence possesses inherent meaning and purpose (I certainly don't)

I’d agree with you, if they did they’d just be a closeted theist, akin to the 8% of self-identifying atheists that also indicate they believe that God exist.

[auote]but it really has nothing to do with the entirely separate question of whether belief should be afforded to the notion that gods exist. [/auote]

Says the folks that complain that they can’t understand what people mean by the term God.

In fact the question of inherent meaning, of teleology, is the entire basis of why I and many others believe in God in the first place, and a significant part of the question of whether one believes in God.

They are not separate questions, but part of the same question. Imagining as you do that they’re different is perhaps why the handful of atheists like yourself can’t seem to understand what’s meant by the term “God”, who in their ignorance imagine the question of God, like one might the question of Bigfoot.

Quote:Indeed, there are theists who don't believe in an inherent meaning and purpose in existence. Just because a god exists doesn't define what it supposedly has or hasn't provided us with. A deity could just as well expect us to figure out our own meaning and purpose.

Well, I’m doubtful of your abilities as an atheist to be a spokesperson for what they do or do not believe. Apparently you and others can’t seem to understand what they even mean by the term “God”, so not sure we should put much stock in your understanding of their theism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-08-2017, 12:52 PM
RE: Atheism is the only rational position to take
(14-08-2017 11:51 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  I see there are people who still dont have Tomasia on their ignore list. Drinking Beverage
Lets wait a little bit more... Laugh out load

Tomasia bases his whole argument on a false dichotomy and resolutely ignores the fact when it is pointed out. So yeah, a waste of time....
14-08-2017, 01:04 PM
We seem to have a new fallacy in play: "No true spokesperson." SMH

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Astreja's post
14-08-2017, 01:07 PM
(14-08-2017 11:51 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  I see there are people who still dont have Tomasia on their ignore list. Drinking Beverage

I'm getting a vision, straight out of a '60s dish detergent commercial:

(announcer, sotto voce): We've replaced a regular TTA commentator with an insufferable chowderhead. Let's see if they notice!

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
14-08-2017, 01:41 PM
(14-08-2017 12:52 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  

Tomasia bases his whole argument on a false dichotomy and resolutely ignores the fact when it is pointed out. So yeah, a waste of time....

If you can’t decipher what people mean by God, you can’t appeal to a false dichotomy in an argument about this very meaning of the word.

You can’t claim what a belief in God does or does not entail, when you confess to being ignorant of what it does entail.

The comparison someone brought up, is one that treated the word God, like the word “hokilaksjh”, and placed the burden of defining it upon theists.

But apparently people seem to want it both ways. They want claim that they’re ignorant of the meaning of the term, then tell theists such as myself what it does and what it doesn’t mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
14-08-2017, 05:12 PM
(14-08-2017 01:04 PM)Astreja Wrote:  We seem to have a new fallacy in play: "No true spokesperson." SMH

No, it's just that someone whose own views are the antithesis of the views in question, is unlikely to be good spokesperson for that group. Nor do I think people who belong to a group that indicated previously that they can't make sense of what's meant when people express belief in "God", are going to good job expressing to me what theists believe.

I'm sure you'd understand the point, if you imagine a theists like Kent Hovind, acting as a spokesperson for atheists.

14-08-2017, 05:33 PM
(14-08-2017 12:05 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Well, I’m doubtful of your abilities as an atheist to be a spokesperson for what they do or do not believe.

See, precious, some of us have outgrown not just the infantile need for a father figure, someone to kiss our booboos better and tell us it's all going to be all right, but also the herd mentality.

Then again, being a sheep is much easier, I guess.

[Image: gif-sheep-Favim.com-2681172.gif]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
14-08-2017, 08:26 PM
*meep* That is the ugliest sheep I've ever seen.

14-08-2017, 08:31 PM
(14-08-2017 08:26 PM)Astreja Wrote:  *meep* That is the ugliest sheep I've ever seen.

You're the second person today to say these exact same words Big Grin

Let me ask you what I asked them - am I to understand that you have seen beautiful sheep and is there something you'd like to share with the group? Angel

[Image: sheep-in-clothes-picture-id515052257]

[Image: sheep-in-christmas-clothes-picture-id530362231]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
14-08-2017, 08:46 PM
(14-08-2017 08:31 PM)Vera Wrote:  Let me ask you what I asked them - am I to understand that you have seen beautiful sheep and is there something you'd like to share with the group? Angel

I think sheep in general are cute. Cartoon sheep (q.v. Wallace and Gromit) are cute, too. That... that thing standing on the hay is obviously an outlier.