Atheism is the only rational position to take

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-08-2017, 12:37 PM
RE: Atheism is the only rational position to take
I get sick of even the word Atheist.
My lack of belief is not a belief.
There is no word for people who don't believe in bigfoot but I find the likelihood of bigfoot being real to be more likely than any God.
Maybe if there were instances of little Gods that made just one or two planets then you could intimate that bigger gods existed.
I can see that big hairy creatures exist. Maybe there's an undiscovered big hairy creature? I doubt it but it's possible.

There is an all powerful being who created everything, takes a hand in all of our fates in some mysterious way, hears all of our prayers and he really cares if your daughter gets the job at Walmart? Call it a hunch but this sounds like bullshit to me. And my rejection of this nonsense does not need a name.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like BikerDude's post
25-08-2017, 01:18 PM
(25-08-2017 12:37 PM)BikerDude Wrote:  I get sick of even the word Atheist.
There is no word for people who don't believe in bigfoot but I find the likelihood of bigfoot being real to be more likely than any God.
Maybe if there were instances of little Gods that made just one or two planets then you could intimate that bigger gods existed.
I can see that big hairy creatures exist. Maybe there's an undiscovered big hairy creature? I doubt it but it's possible.

There is an all powerful being who created everything, takes a hand in all of our fates in some mysterious way, hears all of our prayers and he really cares if your daughter gets the job at Walmart? Call it a hunch but this sounds like bullshit to me. And my rejection of this nonsense does not need a name.
Acryptozoologist

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
25-08-2017, 01:36 PM
(25-08-2017 01:18 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  

Acryptozoologist

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

No fair!
You are just taking a word and putting "a" in front of it.
Acryptozoologists are not intent upon the destruction of America and do not sacrifice babies by moonlight. Were Hitler, Stalin, Hans Gruber, and Darth Vader Acryptozoologists?
I think not.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
25-08-2017, 02:22 PM

There is an all powerful being who created everything, takes a hand in all of our fates in some mysterious way, hears all of our prayers and he really cares if your daughter gets the job at Wal-Mart? Call it a hunch but this sounds like bullshit to me. And my rejection of this nonsense does not need a name.

> Yes, there is a word for someone who rejects the existence of Bigfoot or other mythical creatures for want of evidence; a skeptic. Thumbsup
27-08-2017, 09:30 PM (This post was last modified: 27-08-2017 09:40 PM by nosferatu323.)
(24-08-2017 06:05 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  And consciousness. Are you suggesting that your brain capacity is less than 20 micrograms?
No, I think I clarified in this post that many-body quantum theory can be used to describe macroscopic systems of many particles. The size and/or weight of the system is irrelevant.

Quote:Despite our lack of understanding, I'm willing to bet that neither of us believes in Mr. Berkowitz' demon doggie.
I never claimed it's rational to believe in God, similarly I'm not claiming it's rational to believe in Mr. Berkowitz' demon doggie. I claimed talking about God is irrational in general, similarly I claim talking about Mr. Berkowitz' demon doggie is irrational, since "demon doggie" is indefinite, unless we are talking about a well-defined demon from works of fantasy for example, any indefinite notion is not qualified to be talked about within a logical framework. The Atheist's proposition also involves an indefinite notion, therefore it cannot be a proposition of logic, hence it's not rational.

I think I presented a rather clear justification of my claim in this post. It'd be great if you clearly address which of the propositions are invalid you think, so we can have a clearer discussion about this if you are interested.
28-08-2017, 12:21 AM
If it could be shown that our reality was created by an intelligent being, that doesn't show that the being still exists.

Even if it does still exist, that doesn't show that:

1) It's paying any attention
2) It's interacted in any way since the creation
3) It cares about anything humans do
4) It has power greater than a computer programmer in whatever reality it itself inhabits

It certainly doesn't show why anyone should care either, further than simple curiosity.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
28-08-2017, 12:39 AM
(28-08-2017 12:21 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  If it could be shown that our reality was created by an intelligent being, that doesn't show that the being still exists.

Even if it does still exist, that doesn't show that:

1) It's paying any attention
2) It's interacted in any way since the creation
3) It cares about anything humans do
4) It has power greater than a computer programmer in whatever reality it itself inhabits

It certainly doesn't show why anyone should care either, further than simple curiosity.

Keyword here "IF"

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
28-08-2017, 01:05 AM
Hey, Nosethruatutu.

Perhaps you can help me. I visited the post you highlight and wondered how many of these many microscopic objects I may need for my next project.

a system of many microscopic objects sounds pretty sciencie to me, so I reckon you're the bloke to ask!

My problem is this. I have a MiG 19 Farmer to build in 1/32 scale. How many of those object thingies do I need to stop it being a tail sitter?

I am worried because it had two big engines in the back.

It should look like this.

[Image: 0cfd768172faab616aabeddac1a77487.jpg]

If you can tell me how many I need, I'll order 'em off Evilbay.

Cheers mate.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
05-09-2017, 02:03 PM
(02-08-2017 02:16 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  I'm tired of hearing it. I hear it on the radio, on the tv, see it plastered all over the internet: atheism is irrational.

No it is not. atheism is the only rational position to take.

Atheism is an individuals lack of belief in or rejection of the notion of a god or gods. That's all it is. It is not a worldview. It's a position on a single issue.

Reason is compatible only with the primacy of existence principle. This is the principle that the things that exist, that facts, are what they are independent of conscious activity, including the activity of reason, which is the identification of the facts that our senses perceive. It does not create facts or alter them but identifies and categorizes them in the form of concepts. If I perceive an object, say an orange, and I identify it as an elephant, it will remain an orange. It won't transform into an elephant in order to conform to my conscious activity. In short, wishing doesn't make it so. This fact is self evident and axiomatic. It does not need to be proved. In fact, if the primacy of existence were not true, there'd be no such thing as proof and no need for it.

Theism holds the opposite principle: the primacy of consciousness. This is the principle that the things that exist are dependent upon and can be altered by conscious activity such as willing. It holds that "wishing does make it so".

For this reason theism is incompatible with reason. Therefor atheism is the only rational position to take.

I understand the "a" part of atheism, and the "ism" part, but what is "the"? Consider

Why define yourself by a denial of "the"? And, then go on to say that this is the "only" rational position to take? How about "amartianism"? Some say Martians exist and they have magical powers. Science shows no basis for this. I define myself by my denial of the existence of Martians. Therefore, I am rational and thus amartianism is the "only" rational position. No

Surely rationalism is the only rational position to take.
[+] 1 user Likes Deltabravo's post
05-09-2017, 02:39 PM
(05-09-2017 02:03 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  
(02-08-2017 02:16 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  I'm tired of hearing it. I hear it on the radio, on the tv, see it plastered all over the internet: atheism is irrational.

No it is not. atheism is the only rational position to take.

Atheism is an individuals lack of belief in or rejection of the notion of a god or gods. That's all it is. It is not a worldview. It's a position on a single issue.

Reason is compatible only with the primacy of existence principle. This is the principle that the things that exist, that facts, are what they are independent of conscious activity, including the activity of reason, which is the identification of the facts that our senses perceive. It does not create facts or alter them but identifies and categorizes them in the form of concepts. If I perceive an object, say an orange, and I identify it as an elephant, it will remain an orange. It won't transform into an elephant in order to conform to my conscious activity. In short, wishing doesn't make it so. This fact is self evident and axiomatic. It does not need to be proved. In fact, if the primacy of existence were not true, there'd be no such thing as proof and no need for it.

Theism holds the opposite principle: the primacy of consciousness. This is the principle that the things that exist are dependent upon and can be altered by conscious activity such as willing. It holds that "wishing does make it so".

For this reason theism is incompatible with reason. Therefor atheism is the only rational position to take.

I understand the "a" part of atheism, and the "ism" part, but what is "the"? Consider

Why define yourself by a denial of "the"? And, then go on to say that this is the "only" rational position to take? How about "amartianism"? Some say Martians exist and they have magical powers. Science shows no basis for this. I define myself by my denial of the existence of Martians. Therefore, I am rational and thus amartianism is the "only" rational position. No

Surely rationalism is the only rational position to take.

I don't define myself as an atheism... It's quite simple

Get your own bleeding hymn book