Atheism is the only rational position to take

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-09-2017, 04:28 PM
RE: Atheism is the only rational position to take
(07-09-2017 02:04 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  I guess Naielis's point was presuppositionalist, in which case there won't be much more to discuss.

The term "presuppositionalist" is often used, but I think Reformed Apologist or Revelational Apologist fits better.

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-09-2017, 04:32 PM
(07-09-2017 04:16 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  I wasn't making a joke in this case.

Hobo

"Presuppositionalism is a school of Christian apologetics that believes the Christian faith is the only basis for rational thought. It presupposes that the Bible is divine revelation and attempts to expose flaws in other worldviews. ... An ultimate presupposition is a belief over which no other takes precedence." (Google)

If Naielis really is a Presuppositionalist, then no discussion will be possible beyond a point. I take Presuppositionalism as an attempt to dehumanize any opposition to Christian doctrine.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but I don't think it dehumanizes any opposition at all. Quite the contrary. Reformed apologetics is simply meant to show that the unbeliever's core beliefs are inconsistent with their worldview. But the reformed position is that all humans suppress the truth of God's revelation in unrighteousness until God turns their heart of stone into a heart of flesh. Christians are no more or less human than others. It's simply that we have been saved by the Grace of God.

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
[+] 1 user Likes Naielis's post
16-09-2017, 04:34 PM
(08-09-2017 12:53 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  His argument(s) was clearly presuppositionalist, but is he going to own up to this or weasel his way out in order to keep a "discussion" going?

Well I have no problem with the term presuppositional apologetics other than the association with the imbecile Hovinds and Sye Ten.

16-09-2017, 04:40 PM
(10-09-2017 03:55 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  Just like we don't get to say that all theists are unreasonable all the time, only that some theistic ideas are unreasonable, or that theists are being unreasonable at certain times.

It's not that unbelievers can't be rational. It's simply that the laws they appeal to when acting rationally are only accounted for in the Christian worldview.

Quote:Logic and induction are skills anyone can use, not just theists or atheists.

How, on your worldview, do you solve the problem of induction?

16-09-2017, 04:44 PM
Mental mastrubation intensifies.

[Image: mental-masturbation2.png?w=300]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-09-2017, 04:45 PM
(16-09-2017 04:44 PM)Vera Wrote:  Mental mastrubation intensifies.

[Image: mental-masturbation2.png?w=300]

I mean, that doesn't exactly answer my question.

16-09-2017, 04:46 PM
(16-09-2017 04:23 PM)Naielis Wrote:  Well I'm sorry you think I'm a troll. What exactly do you think is stupid?

Without the old Slavic gods all worldviews fall short. Drinking Beverage

16-09-2017, 04:49 PM
(16-09-2017 04:46 PM)Vera Wrote:  Without the old Slavic gods all worldviews fall short. Drinking Beverage

How do the old Slavic gods account for intelligibility?

16-09-2017, 04:50 PM
(16-09-2017 04:49 PM)Naielis Wrote:  
(16-09-2017 04:46 PM)Vera Wrote:  Without the old Slavic gods all worldviews fall short. Drinking Beverage

How do the old Slavic gods account for intelligibility?

Seeing how precious little intelligibility there is in your drivel, I'm not sure such a thing even exists. Drinking Beverage

16-09-2017, 04:52 PM
(16-09-2017 04:50 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(16-09-2017 04:49 PM)Naielis Wrote:  How do the old Slavic gods account for intelligibility?

Seeing how precious little intelligibility there is in your drivel, I'm not sure such a thing even exists. Drinking Beverage

Well I would appreciate it if we dropped the insults and got down to brass tacks. How do the old Slavic gods account for intelligibility?