Atheism is the only rational position to take

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-09-2017, 04:53 PM
RE: Atheism is the only rational position to take
(16-09-2017 04:52 PM)Naielis Wrote:  Well I would appreciate it if we dropped the insults and got down to brass tacks. How do the old Slavic gods account for intelligibility?

I'd appreciate it if you could use the Multi quote function.

Cheers.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-09-2017, 04:56 PM
(16-09-2017 04:53 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I'd appreciate it if you could use the Multi quote function.

Cheers.

Sorry I don't know what that is. I don't come on here that often. Would you mind educating me?

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
16-09-2017, 05:15 PM
If you all would like to better understand my position I recommend you read some Van Til and Greg Bahnsen. I'll also post a link to a debate I recorded between an atheist and my friend Necessitarian. I jump in at some point as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dcPy1b6obk

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
16-09-2017, 05:16 PM
(16-09-2017 04:52 PM)Naielis Wrote:  Well I would appreciate it if we dropped the insults and got down to brass tacks.

No, we can't. Am not in the habit of mastrubating in front of others. Drinking Beverage

And I would appreciate it if others refrained from it, too. Way too many pseudo-intellectual onanists around this place lately. Is becoming truly tedious. Well, for anyone with an intellectual age of more than 15, that is.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
16-09-2017, 05:17 PM
(16-09-2017 05:16 PM)Vera Wrote:  No, we can't. Am not in the habit of mastrubating in front of others. Drinking Beverage

And I would appreciate it if others refrained from it, too. Way too many pseudo-intellectual onanists around this place lately. Is becoming truly tedious. Well, for anyone with an intellectual age of more than 15, that is.

Well then I'm afraid we can't continue discussing.

16-09-2017, 05:26 PM (This post was last modified: 16-09-2017 05:41 PM by Thoreauvian.)
(16-09-2017 04:32 PM)Naielis Wrote:  Reformed apologetics is simply meant to show that the unbeliever's core beliefs are inconsistent with their worldview.

Okay, I'll ask. What are an "unbeliever's core beliefs" and how are they "inconsistent with their worldview"? What worldview is that? The lack of belief in any god is not a worldview. If you want to criticize naturalistic materialism, you are up against scientists and philosophers, not just atheists.

You think your god is necessary. We do not. Unless you can prove your assertion that your god is necessary, why should we consider atheism inconsistent with anything except the belief in a god? You have the burden of proof, so give it a shot.

I personally think such assertions as the one quoted above show you don't understand much about atheism. Being an atheist means we don't need to accept the burden of proof for theistic assertions.
[+] 4 users Like Thoreauvian's post
16-09-2017, 06:00 PM
(16-09-2017 05:26 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  Okay, I'll ask. What are an "unbeliever's core beliefs" and how are they "inconsistent with their worldview"? What worldview is that? The lack of belief in any god is not a worldview. If you want to criticize naturalistic materialism, you are up against scientists and philosophers, not just atheists.

The unbeliever's core beliefs tend to be what many atheists posit as axioms: laws of logic, uniformity of nature, reliability of sense perception, reliability of their own faculties, etc. A belief in these is inconsistent with atheism because the atheist worldview lacks the means to account for these beliefs. As far as materialism goes, it seems at this point to be dead in the water.

Quote:You think your god is necessary. We do not. Unless you can prove your assertion that your god is necessary, why should we consider atheism inconsistent with anything except the belief in a god? You have the burden of proof, so give it a shot.

I personally think such assertions as the one quoted above show you don't understand much about atheism. Being an atheist means we don't need to accept the burden of proof for theistic assertions.

So I agree that the burden of proof is on me to demonstrate God is necessary. But I also believe the burden of proof lies on the unbeliever to demonstrate they can reason or predicate intelligibly while being autonomous from the Christian God.

16-09-2017, 06:04 PM
(16-09-2017 06:00 PM)Naielis Wrote:  The unbeliever's core beliefs tend to be....

The unbeliever doesn't have beliefs. Let's start by describing people accurately.

I haven't read your posts all the way through, but from what little I've seen so far, you sound like a schmuck.
16-09-2017, 06:05 PM
(16-09-2017 06:04 PM)Aliza Wrote:  The unbeliever doesn't have beliefs. Let's start by describing people accurately.

Atheists don't have beliefs??? I think you are confused.

Quote:I haven't read your posts all the way through, but from what little I've seen so far, you sound like a schmuck.

Well I'm sorry you've decided to judge me so hastily.

16-09-2017, 06:08 PM
(16-09-2017 06:05 PM)Naielis Wrote:  Well I'm sorry you've decided to judge me so hastily.

I'm not.