Atheism is the only rational position to take

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-09-2017, 05:08 AM
RE: Atheism is the only rational position to take
(16-09-2017 06:31 PM)Naielis Wrote:  
Quote:Why in the world would you believe materialism is "dead in the water"?

Because materialists have consistently failed to reduce immaterial predicates to material predicates via bridge laws.

Huh

I'm sorry, but since I am not fluent in Christian assumptions, I can't explain your difficulties understanding atheism or materialism. Others are addressing these problems.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post
17-09-2017, 05:44 AM
(17-09-2017 05:08 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(16-09-2017 06:31 PM)Naielis Wrote:  Because materialists have consistently failed to reduce immaterial predicates to material predicates via bridge laws.

Huh

I'm sorry, but since I am not fluent in Christian assumptions, I can't explain your difficulties understanding atheism or materialism. Others are addressing these problems.

He is (yet again) saying there is a "hard problem" of consciousness, and other things he can't explain, (because as was pointed out to him a few months ago, he knows nothing about Neuro-science). So, the recipe is "insert favorite god here, stir well" at that point. It's known as the 'argumentum ad ignorantium'
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
17-09-2017, 07:14 AM
In our specific case, as conscious, intelligent beings, a universe appears to be a requirement that must exist before we exist.

A complex conscious intelligence would appear to need an environment from which it can exist in.

Base environment exists
If anything changes in that environment, you now have the concept of time.

A god that exists, does so in an environment.
A god that does anything, does so in time.

If there is no time, there is no power.
Power = work/ time

A god would have no power when there is no time.
A god would not exist if there is no environment to support existence.

If you wish to believe a god exists, it must exist within existence and within time.

It's also nice when you can justify your beliefs.
Can you ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
17-09-2017, 08:07 AM
(17-09-2017 07:14 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  ...
If there is no time, there is no power.
Power = work/ time

A god would have no power when there is no time.

Dividing by zero gives you 'undefined' not zero.

Therefore god is undefined.

QED.

Yes

Big Grin

17-09-2017, 09:13 AM
(16-09-2017 08:47 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(16-09-2017 06:05 PM)Naielis Wrote:  Atheists don't have beliefs??? I think you are confused.

[Image: tumblr_ldow012jAt1qbwmdbo1_r1_500.jpg]

The question is... did you?

[Image: fallcy1.jpg]

The term unbeliever encompasses the term atheist. That means that, if atheists have beliefs, then at least some unbelievers have beliefs. And yet they had said unbelievers didn't have beliefs.

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
17-09-2017, 09:15 AM
(16-09-2017 06:54 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(16-09-2017 06:52 PM)Naielis Wrote:  I don't know the mechanism.

> Then your claim is bogus. That which may be asserted without evidence may also be dismissed without evidence. Consider

How is ignorance of the mechanism a lack of demonstration? And does that claim you asserted have evidence? If it does, you're begging the question. If it doesn't, then you're inconsistent.

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
17-09-2017, 09:24 AM
(17-09-2017 09:13 AM)Naielis Wrote:  ...
The term unbeliever encompasses the term atheist.

By that reasoning ...

Do you believe in fairies?

No? OK, so you an unbeliever. Therefore you must be an atheist.

Bravo. Welcome to the club.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
17-09-2017, 09:29 AM
(16-09-2017 11:10 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Naielis, when you've discovered that you can't reach this audience with your current skills set, reach out to either me or Shai Hulud for a breakdown of what you did wrong here.

I'm happy to hear your explanation anytime. From what I see, I've done nothing wrong.

17-09-2017, 09:31 AM
(17-09-2017 09:24 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(17-09-2017 09:13 AM)Naielis Wrote:  ...
The term unbeliever encompasses the term atheist.

By that reasoning ...

Do you believe in fairies?

No? OK, so you an unbeliever. Therefore you must be an atheist.

Bravo. Welcome to the club.

Drinking Beverage

I don't think you understood what I said. The term unbeliever encompasses the term atheists because the term unbeliever refers to those who don't believe on Christ. That is not to say that it is equivalent to the term atheist. I demonstrated that at least some unbelievers must have beliefs which directly contradicts the statement "unbelievers don't have beliefs".

17-09-2017, 09:40 AM
(17-09-2017 09:15 AM)Naielis Wrote:  
(16-09-2017 06:54 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > Then your claim is bogus. That which may be asserted without evidence may also be dismissed without evidence. Consider

How is ignorance of the mechanism a lack of demonstration? And does that claim you asserted have evidence? If it does, you're begging the question. If it doesn't, then you're inconsistent.

Why exactly do you think the atheists here need to justify themselves to you? Like satisfying your criteria validates them or something?

They We don't believe in the Christian god because the Christians lack evidence that such deity exists and we don't feel the story is compelling enough to "take it on faith." That's it. There's nothing more. No one here owes you an explanation and no one is seeking your stamp of approval. The only reason you've been engaged as long as you have been is because we're like bored cats needing a toy to bat around for amusement. You have zero chance of causing anyone here to reconsider their position.

And your technique isn't even very interesting or unique.
[+] 5 users Like Aliza's post