Atheism is the only rational position to take

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-09-2017, 09:19 AM
RE: Atheism is the only rational position to take
(21-09-2017 11:31 PM)Naielis Wrote:  
(19-09-2017 02:20 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Hey Naielis!

Hope things are going swell for you and yours. Thumbsup

Well they aren't really. Not doing too great atm and I'm very busy. Only way I can discuss with anyone is on discord. Can't do text chats right now. No longer a Christian. But I still think TAG is a good argument. Kinda in a rough patch. I know this post is really random and nothing seems to connect, but I have to be terse. If you all want to discuss with me on discord let me know.
What I like about you is that you are wrestling with the Great Questions, even if I don't always agree with your wrestling moves. Hang in there; the transition to young adulthood is nontrivial and fraught with real and perceived perils. You will get through it, and have more clarity. It gets better.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
22-09-2017, 06:16 PM
(22-09-2017 07:30 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(22-09-2017 07:10 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  You keep mentioning TAG, and I have no clue what that stands for. Can you (or anyone) enlighten me?

Transcendental Argument for God -- a Matt Slick favorite which should give you an idea of the "value" of the argument.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcende...nce_of_God

P1. God is necessary for logic and morality
P2. Logic and morality exist
C: God exists

Premise 1 is a flat assertion that assumes the conclusion so the whole thing is a house of cards.

Recently had a convo with Matt Slick about evolution. It was interesting.

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
[+] 1 user Likes Naielis's post
22-09-2017, 07:45 PM
(22-09-2017 06:16 PM)Naielis Wrote:  
(22-09-2017 07:30 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Transcendental Argument for God -- a Matt Slick favorite which should give you an idea of the "value" of the argument.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcende...nce_of_God

P1. God is necessary for logic and morality
P2. Logic and morality exist
C: God exists

Premise 1 is a flat assertion that assumes the conclusion so the whole thing is a house of cards.

Recently had a convo with Matt Slick about evolution. It was interesting.

This would be the same as a conversation with a 4 year old about quantum mechanics.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
22-09-2017, 07:48 PM
(22-09-2017 07:45 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  
(22-09-2017 06:16 PM)Naielis Wrote:  Recently had a convo with Matt Slick about evolution. It was interesting.

This would be the same as a conversation with a 4 year old about quantum mechanics.

Not so sure about that.

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
22-09-2017, 07:49 PM
(22-09-2017 07:48 PM)Naielis Wrote:  
(22-09-2017 07:45 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  This would be the same as a conversation with a 4 year old about quantum mechanics.

Not so sure about that.

> So, enlighten us. Consider
22-09-2017, 07:53 PM
(22-09-2017 07:48 PM)Naielis Wrote:  
(22-09-2017 07:45 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  This would be the same as a conversation with a 4 year old about quantum mechanics.

Not so sure about that.

You would be better served reading anything an actual biologist has to say, than listening to his misunderstandings on the topic.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
22-09-2017, 08:33 PM
(22-09-2017 06:16 PM)Naielis Wrote:  Recently had a convo with Matt Slick about evolution. It was interesting.

Thumbsup

Awesome! Might you be able to share a link to the experiance? Assuming the event was recorded for poaterity?

Much cheers to you and yours Naielis. Hug
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post