Atheism & losing loved ones

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-05-2015, 04:51 PM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2015 05:01 PM by Timj.)
I am very new here. I am not sure where to post this thread. Does anyone have experience on coping during the loss of a loved one as an Atheist. I once believed in God, and now I do not. I have just lost a loved one and am kinda lost. In the past I would have sought comfort from my church. Forgive me if this post is in the incorrect place.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Timj's post
10-05-2015, 04:54 PM
RE: Atheism & losing loved ones
There's never a wrong place to ask a question, or for help.

I know the feeling of loss. BTDT many times. It's never easy, you never really get used to it.

You do however, learn to appreciate the times you did have with someone, and hang on to those...................

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
10-05-2015, 05:01 PM
Hi Timj

first,welcome to TTA.
second, I am sorry your heart is hurting regarding the death of your loved one.

if you havent heard of it yet, google 'why you want a physicist at your funeral'. The idea presented has brought comfort to many people.

I have said goodbye to many loved ones, many friends, both of my parents, as well as other relatives. Its never easy to say goodbye to those we love. ((hugs to you))

Many atheists feel death is much like the 100 years before you were born. You didnt know when you werent born, and you don't know when you are dead. You just stop.

There is no magic place, no special part of your consciousness, and it also in many ways makes us feel like life is so very precious, and you only get one turn to make it right and full of love and happiness.

Mods- please move to the Personal Issues and Support section.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 3 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
10-05-2015, 05:06 PM
(10-05-2015 05:01 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Hi Timj

first,welcome to TTA.
second, I am sorry your heart is hurting regarding the death of your loved one.

if you havent heard of it yet, google 'why you want a physicist at your funeral'. The idea presented has brought comfort to many people.

I have said goodbye to many loved ones, many friends, both of my parents, as well as other relatives. Its never easy to say goodbye to those we love. ((hugs to you))

Many atheists feel death is much like the 100 years before you were born. You didnt know when you werent born, and you don't know when you are dead. You just stop.

There is no magic place, no special part of your consciousness, and it also in many ways makes us feel like life is so very precious, and you only get one turn to make it right and full of love and happiness.

here's the link:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ali-a-rizv...34439.html
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
10-05-2015, 05:09 PM
Welcome Timj, I don't have anything to add to what Bows and Arrows said. Just want to send my condolences, sorry for your loss.
10-05-2015, 05:09 PM
It's hard to lose someone, even for those who thinks that person is going to a better place.

Here is the link to Grief Beyond Belief:

http://www.griefbeyondbelief.org/

It looks like they have some good links there. Seth, and other atheist podcasters, have mentioned this group as being quite helpful.

I am sorry for your loss.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
10-05-2015, 05:12 PM
(10-05-2015 04:51 PM)Timj Wrote:  I am very new here. I am not sure where to post this thread. Does anyone have experience on coping during the loss of a loved one as an Atheist. I once believed in God, and now I do not. I have just lost a loved one and am kinda lost. In the past I would have sought comfort from my church. Forgive me if this post is in the incorrect place.

I am so sorry for your loss. I used to be christian and whenever I experienced loss of a loved one--I always had my religion to fall back on. I felt some sense of comfort believing I would see them again. After becoming an atheist and realizing the idea of heaven was something that was just made up, it was really hard to take--especially after losing my dad. I think if anything the idea that there is no heaven should make us hold on to people and appreciate them *in this life* as much as we can. I agree with Bows and Arrows--the article on why you would want a physicist to speak at your funeral was helpful to me as well--more so than the idea of a magical heaven.
10-05-2015, 05:20 PM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2015 05:31 PM by Cosmic Discourse.)
Welcome aboard Timj, I'm sorry to read of your loss. The major loss in my life occurred as a teenager, when I was indifferent to belief. I didn't initially cope well, but after some time and with the help of friends and family, I was able to find a balance.

Edit*: Posts above provided the desired link Wink
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-05-2015, 05:34 PM
Thank you you for your kind words and wisdom. I am just heartbroken and have no groups with my beliefs to turn to in my area. This is a very trying time for my beliefs with nobody to turn to, except in this forum.
10-05-2015, 05:35 PM
(10-05-2015 05:01 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  ...

Since you asked so nicely...

Thread moved.

For the benefit of those who may not know, the Personal Issues and Support section is one of the few heavily moderated areas of the forum.

This means that it is a sanctuary; a place where a higher degree of decorum is expected (and maintained). This does not mean that personal or sensitive issues can not / should not be posted elsewhere.

Carry on.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post