Atheism & losing loved ones

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-05-2015, 05:39 PM
RE: Atheism & losing loved ones
(10-05-2015 05:34 PM)Timj Wrote:  Thank you you for your kind words and wisdom. I am just heartbroken and have no groups with my beliefs to turn to in my area. This is a very trying time for my beliefs with nobody to turn to, except in this forum.

This is an amazingly caring, supportive, and knowledgeable group of people...I am glad you found us.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
10-05-2015, 06:26 PM
(10-05-2015 04:51 PM)Timj Wrote:  I am very new here. I am not sure where to post this thread. Does anyone have experience on coping during the loss of a loved one as an Atheist. I once believed in God, and now I do not. I have just lost a loved one and am kinda lost. In the past I would have sought comfort from my church. Forgive me if this post is in the incorrect place.

Oh my, it's hard when it's raw.

I came here first after I lost my husband - but I came to rant about all the nonsense people were saying about him.

I don't know who died or how much they were involved in your daily life. Can you tell us a bit more?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
10-05-2015, 06:44 PM
(10-05-2015 06:26 PM)Dom Wrote:  Oh my, it's hard when it's raw.

I came here first after I lost my husband - but I came to rant about all the nonsense people were saying about him.

I don't know who died or how much they were involved in your daily life. Can you tell us a bit more?

She was the closest friend I have and will ever have. The first and last person I would speak to everyday of my life. The person who I would go to during the hard times in my life. The kindest person I ever did know. The most caring, and most compassionate nurse I have ever known. The most hard working and caring mother of two beautiful children. She was such a bundle of joy with the most contagious smile. Such a wonderful person, one I will never see again.
10-05-2015, 06:53 PM
A terrible loss.

There are no magic words to make it easier. Just know that many of us have been through similar situations. No one here will tell you that things will one day be all better or be the same as they were, because they won't.

Cherish the memories and know that this person would want you to live your life.

Take the time to grieve, it's important to do so.

Come talk when you need an ear or a shoulder.

Hugs.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
10-05-2015, 06:55 PM
(10-05-2015 06:44 PM)Timj Wrote:  
(10-05-2015 06:26 PM)Dom Wrote:  Oh my, it's hard when it's raw.

She was the closest friend I have and will ever have. The first and last person I would speak to everyday of my life. The person who I would go to during the hard times in my life. The kindest person I ever did know. The most caring, and most compassionate nurse I have ever known. The most hard working and caring mother of two beautiful children. She was such a bundle of joy with the most contagious smile. Such a wonderful person, one I will never see again.

She sounds like she was an amazing person Smile
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
10-05-2015, 07:27 PM
It's just so hard. I feel like the universe has ended. I don't have really close family or close friends. She was my only person for comfort.
10-05-2015, 07:41 PM
(10-05-2015 07:27 PM)Timj Wrote:  It's just so hard. I feel like the universe has ended. I don't have really close family or close friends. She was my only person for comfort.

Did this just happen? How did she die?

If it just happened today or the last few days, you are still in shock. Have you cried yet? When the tears come, don't try to stop them, let them flow. They release chemicals in your brain that help you cope.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
10-05-2015, 07:41 PM
(10-05-2015 07:27 PM)Timj Wrote:  It's just so hard. I feel like the universe has ended. I don't have really close family or close friends. She was my only person for comfort.

It is very hard. It's not easy to pick up the pieces, but you just do the best you can and you take it day by day. As time goes on (even though it might not feel like it now), the pain does get easier to manage--even though you still miss them and wish like anything that they were still here.
10-05-2015, 07:58 PM
I was informed this morning, she was in a house fire. I am an emotionally tough guy. But it is terrible. I can't concentrate and am physically ill. I literally feel like a numb, broken rock. I am usually the person others turn to. I have told family members and they tell me she is in a better place.
10-05-2015, 08:09 PM
(10-05-2015 07:58 PM)Timj Wrote:  I was informed this morning, she was in a house fire. I am an emotionally tough guy. But it is terrible. I can't concentrate and am physically ill. I literally feel like a numb, broken rock. I am usually the person others turn to. I have told family members and they tell me she is in a better place.

Yes, I know, one does feel physically ill. I am so sorry, I know just how you feel. The next few days will be very strange, the numbness and the inertia.

This will change, something will make you cry and that's when the grieving process starts. Don't let anyone tell you how you are supposed to feel or cope, your grief is personal and only you will know how to handle it.

Here is a song for you:

[+] 2 users Like Dom's post