Atheism more common in the US than believed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2017, 03:30 PM
RE: Atheism more common in the US than believed
(18-05-2017 03:26 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  I went with the one with the least participation required, Methodist. They had cookies after.

Catholics have cookies after also. I can only recommend Catholic services. You always know services are 50 minutes at most and that after communion it's just one more song and you're done. I will never forget the sense of relief when I knew it was only a few more minutes of suffering the boredom.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-05-2017, 03:41 PM
(18-05-2017 03:30 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(18-05-2017 03:26 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  I went with the one with the least participation required, Methodist. They had cookies after.

Catholics have cookies after also. I can only recommend Catholic services. You always know services are 50 minutes at most and that after communion it's just one more song and you're done. I will never forget the sense of relief when I knew it was only a few more minutes of suffering the boredom.
Methodist chaplains spent 30 minutes on preaching and 30 minutes on socializing. Five song limit.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-05-2017, 03:47 PM
Let's face it; houses of worship know how to organize a community and it takes a lot of spine to say to them that you and your family will opt out, thank you very much.

How many parents start attending "church" when their kids come along? Peer pressure is very strong in our towns and developments...maybe not so much in the cities and rural areas, unless you get family pressure. I can't say for sure that my husband wouldn't have gone to church and pretended to believe had we lived in our small town, since he was and is community and politically active. I wouldn't have done, but I know other atheists who have when the kids started coming along...for social reasons, for children psyche reasons; my SIL told me she took the kids to church because she had read a paper on child development and it favored doing so in order for the child to be a part of the community. At 11 and 12 they told her they weren't going back again and she finally stopped pretending. But, she had to struggle to get the church to leave her alone...cult, cult, cult posing as Methodists!

It is hard to tell community powers-that-be that you don't reason that religion and church is a good thing for children.

So...yes, I think there are a lot more atheists than reported or suspected.

"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
18-05-2017, 04:04 PM
(18-05-2017 10:38 AM)kim Wrote:  Than believed ... ? Did you really mean to go there? Dodgy

You better believe it! Laugh out load
18-05-2017, 05:12 PM
(18-05-2017 11:26 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  true. true.

If someone created a chocolate god, I would rally behind that.

omnomnomnomnom.

... is there a relation between the words "devour" and "deivore"?

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post
26-05-2017, 07:35 PM
Atheism more common in the US than believed
Speaking of basic training... on Sundays we were given a choice. Religious services OR buffing and waxing the squad bay floor. I chose the religious services so I could rest. Still it was bullshit to offer such "Choices". My Army dog tags said "No Preference". I knew nothing about any religion until the Army. I was raised without any and all religion. I learned from the Army that I hated it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[+] 1 user Likes treefireguy's post