Atheism of Ignorance; is it a problem?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-09-2011, 07:41 AM
RE: Atheism of Ignorance; is it a problem?
As a non-believer of long duration, having arrived at this state after much reading and through careful thought, i believe i've earned recognition as an atheist.
Yet i would rather eschew the label than wear it as entree to an exclusive clique.
Let's not make something precious of this: it's just a word. People will misapply, mispronounce and misspell words. I'd rather have have the ignorant aspire to be more like me, even if they don't represent me any more than i wish to represent them. Each hir own standard and shield, right?

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-09-2011, 01:46 PM (This post was last modified: 18-09-2011 01:59 PM by mysticjbyrd.)
(13-09-2011 06:04 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  I'm not sure if this ever happens in the USA, but I would assume it is pretty common in Northern Europe as well as in Britain where I live.
Basically these guys who proudly proclaim at every opurtunity that they don't believe in any religion, but they have no real reason why. For an example a guy I knew at the YMCA; his reason for being an atheist (a word I introduced him to because he'd never heard it before) "Religion doesn't buy my [cigarettes], all it does is tell you how to live"
Which might have been a good working class answer if he wasn't also one of the most bigoted and imoral people I've ever met.

Stretching it back out for the country though; a lot of these people exist who are in the band of being too ignorant to understand religion enough to believe in one, or just not caring enough to look into it. And the problem with this is that these people are far, far too ignorant on average to develope their own moral code and they're often a few generations into the problem. So there is this huge section of society who were not given the ability to form morals on their own, either through mediocre parenting or skipping out on education, but they also do not have any orginisation to force any sort of moral code.

I still think that a guy who says "homosexuals are going to hell, but I won't judge them because it's not my place" is better than someone who says "I hate homosexuals and want to harm them for no particular reason" for example.

Well if that post made sense, which it might not because I'm slightly knackered... Any thoughts? Is this a real problem or might it just sort itself out? etc
So what you are saying is some people are too dumb to pick a religion, and too dumb to create their own morals.
That is utterly laughable. The only reason any person would believe in a religion is if they are taught to ignore reason and embrace a given religion. (Usually during childhood, when they are defenseless). Childhood indoctrination has very little to do with intelligence.

Everyone is born an atheists, and people who grow up as atheists find religions to be silly. They do not need a good reason to disbelieve in religious nonsense, or any nonsense for that matter. That is the definition of nonsense.

Would you also criticize a grown adult indiscriminately disbelieving in the tooth fairy, or santa?
I would guess not, and thus you are contradicting yourself.
18-09-2011, 02:13 PM
(18-09-2011 01:46 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  Everyone is born an atheists

I don't agree. I think most of you think like that, but no belief isn't the same like atheism. You may know the quote:
Atheism is a belief like OFF is a TV channel.
You're born without TV Tongue
18-09-2011, 02:20 PM
(18-09-2011 02:13 PM)darksky Wrote:  
(18-09-2011 01:46 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  Everyone is born an atheists

I don't agree. I think most of you think like that, but no belief isn't the same like atheism. You may know the quote:
Atheism is a belief like OFF is a TV channel.
You're born without TV Tongue

That is the equivalent of saying, you do not agree the sun will rise tomorrow.
It is a fact.
It does not matter if you disagree with it, it still exists.

Everyone is born without any knowledge of any religion, and they do not believe in the existence of any god.
18-09-2011, 02:28 PM
Well, that's a misunderstanding. Sadly, atheism isn't a well-defined word. You know about the explicit/implicit atheism debate? Read about it, then you'll understand my point of view, like I understand yours.
18-09-2011, 02:49 PM (This post was last modified: 18-09-2011 02:52 PM by mysticjbyrd.)
(18-09-2011 02:28 PM)darksky Wrote:  Well, that's a misunderstanding. Sadly, atheism isn't a well-defined word. You know about the explicit/implicit atheism debate? Read about it, then you'll understand my point of view, like I understand yours.

So you want to argue about the definition of atheism?
Ok, well that is semantics at best and completely irrelevant to the thread.

You can easily replace atheism, with agnostic, or non-religious within my post, and it would make no difference to its meaning.
18-09-2011, 03:01 PM
No I don't want to discuss the definition, don't be afraid Wink
I just want to be sure that you know what I mean. I'm not the same atheistic like a new born. A new born is (like you said too) agnostic (or non-religious). And that's exactly the same with ignorant and imoral teenagers or whatever. Pointed.
18-09-2011, 03:35 PM
(16-09-2011 11:39 AM)17thknight Wrote:  Many atheists seem to think the world would just suddenly be this magical place of brotherly love without religion, but that notion is patently absurd.

The earth will never be a paradise, whatever that is. Religion in too excellent a tool to the fool. I think if reason was the rule of the planet, the fools would still be reaching for some tool to fill the hole in their understanding and the knife of religion is too sharp. The only thing we can do is fill in the holes as best we can. Is the Atheism of ignorance a problem? Of course, as is all ignorance. Ignorance of any sort leaves open the primal nature of us all toward survival of the individual over the survival of mankind. Is the Atheism of ignorance avoidable? No. I think if anything it's one of the natural beginnings of reason.

Who can turn skies back and begin again?