Atheism on TV

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2015, 08:38 AM
Atheism on TV
I hope its just not me, but lately I've been noticing a slight increase of atheism on TV which is excellent. Its great that its getting out more and more. Anyways.

One of my favorite CBS show is The Good Wife and the writers have finally let us viewers know that Alicia is an atheist and she's running for state attorney. They really represented what its like running for a political office as an atheist. She had to have a interview with a priest once and of her campaign manager, Eli Gold, told her not to mention anything about her atheism because it could hurt her and she basically told the priest she was an agnostic, lol.

Her daughter plays as a Christian and she's part of a cult like group, its very weird and they pray that her mother, Alice, to come to God. Haha.

Its an awesome show and finally a show that has an atheist as a main character..its a nice treat.

The actor that plays Eli Gold, Alan Cumming is an atheist. So that's interesting.

But what is funny is when people found out that Alicia is an atheist, they stopped watching the show because of that..narrow minded people. Like religious people don't have their time to shine on TV.

Another show which has discussed atheism as being a good thing was NBC's The Blacklist..another fantastic show. Totally check it out.

What have been your favorite atheist moments on TV? You don't see it often, but I'm seeing it more often and I think its going to get better and getting atheism out there in the public eye more and more can only be a good thing and people wont be so offended by the word "Atheist".

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes nerwin's post
22-01-2015, 08:55 AM
RE: Atheism on TV
As long as they don't distort or misrepresent atheism, I can see it being a good thing.
If they start portraying atheists as devil worshipers, or evil assholes it will just reinforce the religious stereotypes we want to shed.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
22-01-2015, 08:57 AM
(22-01-2015 08:55 AM)pablo Wrote:  As long as they don't distort or misrepresent atheism, I can see it being a good thing.
If they start portraying atheists as devil worshipers, or evil assholes it will just reinforce the religious stereotypes we want to shed.

Very true. I watch a lot of crime shows, like Criminal Minds and while there have been devil worshipers and other evil asholes..they have never mentioned atheism..actually there a lot of murders on that show that was caused by some sort of religious reasons.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.
22-01-2015, 09:04 AM
I hear so many peopke talk about the Good Wife, I really need to check it out. I do watch Blacklist- I must have missed the reference. Consider

I agree with Pablo, as long as its not portrayed as lunatics, I love seeing it. I even like movies like God is not Dead discussing it because the more its talked about, the more mainstream it becomes.

and once its mainstream, there will still be those that kick and scream about it but those numbers will shrink with every generation.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
22-01-2015, 09:06 AM
Ideally I think an atheist character on a tv show would be portrayed as someone mildly outspoken only when necessary. Upbeat, charismatic, good looking, with a great sense of humor. Consider Where would one go to find such a person?
22-01-2015, 09:17 AM
(22-01-2015 09:04 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I hear so many peopke talk about the Good Wife, I really need to check it out. I do watch Blacklist- I must have missed the reference. Consider

I agree with Pablo, as long as its not portrayed as lunatics, I love seeing it. I even like movies like God is not Dead discussing it because the more its talked about, the more mainstream it becomes.

and once its mainstream, there will still be those that kick and scream about it but those numbers will shrink with every generation.

I use to watch ABC's Resurrection, if you want to have a good laugh..watch that. The first season was pretty good..not really much religion was discussed but when people come back from the dead its obvious that religion is going to be discussed but in the first season science seemed like it was more discussed as they were trying to understand what was going on..I was hoping it was going to be aliens!! Because that would've been awesome, lol. But after that..it really started get religious and stupid..now they are talking about a antichrist and a savior. Like really? I don't think it will see a season three anyways..its just straight up dumb now and a lot of people have stopped watching it. You can't even follow it..they are basically playing events from the bible now.

22-01-2015, 09:45 AM
The advertising world is also starting to market to skeptics. There is the Esurance commercial "That's not the way it works". And some online trading company add where a guy basically tells a psychic he does not need her help.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-01-2015, 09:56 AM
Seth McFarlane, the creator of 'Family Guy', 'American Dad', 'The Clevland Show' and 'Ted' is a militant atheist (or at least represents himself as such) and he uses the characters in his shows to point out the more ignorant points of religion (mostly Christianity).

In a recent episode I watched of "American Dad", the lead character Stan Smith (a devout Christian) is upset because his new friend is an atheist. So Stan's wife, Francine calls their priest over to speak with Stan.

Stan Smith: "What do you do when your best friend doesn't believe in God?"

Father Donovan: "I don't know Stan, I wouldn't say we're best friends!"
[+] 2 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
22-01-2015, 10:04 AM
(22-01-2015 09:06 AM)pablo Wrote:  Ideally I think an atheist character on a tv show would be portrayed as someone mildly outspoken only when necessary. Upbeat, charismatic, good looking, with a great sense of humor. Consider Where would one go to find such a person?

Sorry, I'm not available.
Drinking Beverage

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
22-01-2015, 10:08 AM
And of course there is the "Super Devil" from an episode of Family Guy, who carries a jar of marmalade that forces you to commit adultery.