Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like lightninlives's post
04-05-2012, 12:35 PM
RE: Atheism's little secret
My word for it is mindgasm. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
04-05-2012, 12:35 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2012 12:36 PM by germanyt.)
Interesting. I suppose I agree with the writer but have never seen anyone put that thought into words before. Just the other day I was staring at the sunset. It was a particularly beautiful vanilla sky. While looking I was thinking about things like weather patters, cloud formations, light refraction in the atmosphere, etc and the fact that all of it works together in such a beautiful way was moving. IMO the reality of the sunset had more impact that just thinking "Isn't God's creation pretty".
(04-05-2012 12:35 PM)kim Wrote:  My word for it is mindgasm. Shy
I'll give you a mindgasm. Tongue

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 4 users Like germanyt's post
04-05-2012, 12:44 PM
(04-05-2012 12:28 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  http://theunconverted.com/atheisms-delic...le-secret/

Delicious indeed!
Well-said! Nice blag too. Thumbsup
[+] 2 users Like kineo's post
04-05-2012, 12:56 PM
I can't remember who I heard it from, but some prominent atheism said that it's rather tawdry to see the most intelligent designer behind the "beauty" that we observe. If a brilliant God was behind the beauty in the universe, you'd expect to get an orgasm every time you look at a flower. Instead, you usually observe upon closer inspection that flowers aren't as symmetrical as they first appeared, smell not-quite-as-nice as synthetic smells such as scented candles, and often have a bug crawling around on them.

Is it obvious that I'm not big on this world's "beauty"? Creator or not, I'm not impressed by the things I see practically every day and would rather go on taking them for granted.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
04-05-2012, 01:02 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2012 01:03 PM by houseofcantor.)
(04-05-2012 12:35 PM)germanyt Wrote:  

I shall assist, doctor.

(04-05-2012 12:56 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  Is it obvious that I'm not big on this world's "beauty"? Creator or not, I'm not impressed by the things I see practically every day and would rather go on taking them for granted.

It is obvious that you missed the LSD part. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
04-05-2012, 05:37 PM
Lol, nature is my drug of choice. I LOVE watching things grow, all the creatures including starcrashes beetles, the sky, water, and the scent of some things is intoxicating.

Scented candles on the other hand are usually scented way too gaudy and intrusive.

I grow my own veggies and the flavor of storebought ones (if you can call it flavor) can't even remotely compare. Just went through successive blooming times of plum, pear and apple trees and it was specatacular.

Being alone in nature is like a drug to me, it makes me calm and I feel light and happy. Must be some brain chemicals that are being released.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
04-05-2012, 06:10 PM
Experiencing sensory perceptions, drugs, no difference. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
04-05-2012, 06:38 PM
(04-05-2012 06:10 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Experiencing sensory perceptions, drugs, no difference. Tongue
Legal, illegal, big difference.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
04-05-2012, 08:31 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2012 08:33 PM by lightninlives.)
(04-05-2012 06:38 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  
(04-05-2012 06:10 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Experiencing sensory perceptions, drugs, no difference. Tongue
Legal, illegal, big difference.
Drugs can definitely perform a bit of mind expansion, but they have their limits. I don't use them anymore (at least not very often, and that includes alcohol by the way) but still get the "experiences" I used to think could only be delivered via the chemical ingestion.

I'm actually helping a buddy of mine who's in recover. We both find that playing the guitar is yet another nice, clean channel for tapping into that sweet emotion everyone's after.

(04-05-2012 12:35 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Interesting. I suppose I agree with the writer but have never seen anyone put that thought into words before. Just the other day I was staring at the sunset. It was a particularly beautiful vanilla sky. While looking I was thinking about things like weather patters, cloud formations, light refraction in the atmosphere, etc and the fact that all of it works together in such a beautiful way was moving. IMO the reality of the sunset had more impact that just thinking "Isn't God's creation pretty".
Good to know I'm not the only one having these moments. I don't think about the scientific intricacy when I'm having them. Instead, what works best for me is simply clearing my mind completely (I think the Eastern folks call it being mindless) and just experiencing the fleeting moment.

But hey, whatever works, right.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted