Atheism, the conspiracy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-01-2015, 02:30 AM
RE: Atheism, the conspiracy
(31-12-2014 11:04 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  All I said is that Yuri Gagarin was the first guy in space, not, as I put it 'some yank' ( :L ), so wasn't even anything to do with atheism. I told a friend of mine on skype though and he said that he gets involved in the comments sections on atheist videos all the time and he is quite often accused of being a conspiracy theorist because he doesn't believe in any gods.

Did you cite your sources?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2015, 05:35 PM
It seems natural for believers to view non-believers as viewing religion as a conspiracy since much of the evidence against religions indicates the existence of a conspiracy, especially when we argue against the historicity of Christ. Also, by lumping atheists in with the other conspiracy theorists our arguments can be easily discredited without any debate.
04-01-2015, 01:06 AM
Atheists are in a conspiracy with the devil, after all.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
04-01-2015, 04:37 PM
(01-01-2015 02:30 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  
(31-12-2014 11:04 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  All I said is that Yuri Gagarin was the first guy in space, not, as I put it 'some yank' ( :L ), so wasn't even anything to do with atheism. I told a friend of mine on skype though and he said that he gets involved in the comments sections on atheist videos all the time and he is quite often accused of being a conspiracy theorist because he doesn't believe in any gods.

Did you cite your sources?

Here's a question: do you really need to cite a source when stating a well documented historical fact? If you say "Yuri Gagarin was the first man in space" and the response you get is "prove it" then I think the discussion is pretty much over. That response shows a level of willful ignorance that no citation is likely to overcome. What Gagarin did is so well documented and so well known that even someone who had a total failure in their educational experience could ascertain, in about 15 seconds using Google, that Ceta's comments were accurate. So, there is zero point in continuing the discussion.

Also, apropos of nothing else, a few years ago my parents went on vacation in China. On one of their tours the guide points out the memorial erected to honor the Chinese astronauts who landed on the moon (seriously). I guess the Chinese government figured, in the days before the internet and maybe even in the days of a heavily censored internet, they can just make stuff up and their people will believe them. This was 2010 or so, which it's really incredible. My father's brother worked on the Apollo Program in the 60s, but he decided it was not his place to correct history for these people.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
05-01-2015, 07:15 PM
(04-01-2015 04:37 PM)BnW Wrote:  Here's a question: do you really need to cite a source when stating a well documented historical fact? If you say "Yuri Gagarin was the first man in space" and the response you get is "prove it" then I think the discussion is pretty much over.

I'm your man. .... bitch. Big Grin
[Image: monkey.jpg]

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
24-01-2015, 07:07 AM
(04-01-2015 04:37 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(01-01-2015 02:30 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Did you cite your sources?

Here's a question: do you really need to cite a source when stating a well documented historical fact? If you say "Yuri Gagarin was the first man in space" and the response you get is "prove it" then I think the discussion is pretty much over. That response shows a level of willful ignorance that no citation is likely to overcome. What Gagarin did is so well documented and so well known that even someone who had a total failure in their educational experience could ascertain, in about 15 seconds using Google, that Ceta's comments were accurate. So, there is zero point in continuing the discussion.

Also, apropos of nothing else, a few years ago my parents went on vacation in China. On one of their tours the guide points out the memorial erected to honor the Chinese astronauts who landed on the moon (seriously). I guess the Chinese government figured, in the days before the internet and maybe even in the days of a heavily censored internet, they can just make stuff up and their people will believe them. This was 2010 or so, which it's really incredible. My father's brother worked on the Apollo Program in the 60s, but he decided it was not his place to correct history for these people.

Friends of our family had a foreign exchange student from Lithuania. This was in the Soviet era - when the Soviets ran all the schools.

She told us that not only had a Russian been the first to fly -they also were in space first and landed a man on the moon in 1966.

Like your uncle - I figured it a waste of time trying to convince her otherwise.

So - the Chinese didn't have the market cornered on "creative history"..

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.