Atheism - the definition

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-07-2012, 02:51 PM
RE: Atheism - the definition
The weak/strong atheism definition isn't mine, btw.

It was created by the residents of alt.atheism, who collectively classed them self as belonging to one of the two definitions. This was back in the mid 90s, but may have originated much earlier for all I know. It is (or was) one of the highest-populated newsgroups... well, that didn't involve binaries.

If you want to go there and tell them that their definition is a silly one, then by all means do so. Just make sure that you're wearing flame-retardant underwear. Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-07-2012, 03:04 PM
It is tempting to tell people that they are wrong, but if I did that, it would fill a lifetime.

Plus it would remind me of my ex who would constantly tell me that I didn't know what the hell I was talking about.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
20-07-2012, 03:18 PM
(20-07-2012 03:04 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  It is tempting to tell people that they are wrong, but if I did that, it would fill a lifetime.

Plus it would remind me of my ex who would constantly tell me that I didn't know what the hell I was talking about.
One of the things that the misanthropist in me loves about atheists is... apart from their atheism, they rarely agree on anything else, ever. Including the definition of the word. It's like herding cats.

Which is one of the reasons that I was impressed by their adoption of the weak/strong subdivision of the word. Their (relative) unanimity on that matter was an impressive one.

On this solitary matter, Rahn, you are wrong. Both strong and weak atheism cater to those who describe themselves as atheists.
20-07-2012, 04:07 PM
Ok, taking this post back a few pages, I see that even the semantics of the "deliberate absence" was misleading as well.
I usually use the term "rejection" though, so "deliberate rejection due to lack of proper reasoning or evidence" is what I'm going for.

And really, I see the point that coming up with a clear-cut definition doesn't mean everyone will adopt it. Even atheists won't agree completely. But, for example, if you're debating about beliefs, it's nice to come up with a clear definition for terms, so everyone is one the same page.

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned" - Anonymous
I am glad to live where there is no God, for I am moral, and mortal; I do not wish to worship He who crafts an immoral immortality.
20-07-2012, 04:27 PM
There's a Heisenberg limit with definitions. You can make them exact up to a point. Try harder and subjectivity takes over...

This is my new thought for today Smile
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
20-07-2012, 04:38 PM
(20-07-2012 04:27 PM)morondog Wrote:  There's a Heisenberg limit with definitions. You can make them exact up to a point. Try harder and subjectivity takes over...

This is my new thought for today Smile
And we end up with a Heisenword. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
20-07-2012, 04:42 PM
"Heisenword" - I'm stealing that and it's previous definition Smile

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
20-07-2012, 05:54 PM
So if categorising Atheists is like herding cats, then why are strong Atheists defined by what they believe? And if Atheists can be defined by what they believe, then why do we still insist that they can only be defined by what they are not?

I say we find a way to categorise everyone by who and what they are. Call me kwazy.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 1 user Likes Ghost's post
20-07-2012, 06:00 PM
(20-07-2012 05:54 PM)Ghost Wrote:  So if categorising Atheists is like herding cats
No, the categorising isn't like herding cats. Please re-read what I posted. Dodgy
20-07-2012, 07:31 PM (This post was last modified: 20-07-2012 07:37 PM by ClydeLee.)
(20-07-2012 05:54 PM)Ghost Wrote:  So if categorising Atheists is like herding cats, then why are strong Atheists defined by what they believe? And if Atheists can be defined by what they believe, then why do we still insist that they can only be defined by what they are not?

I say we find a way to categorise everyone by who and what they are. Call me kwazy.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Why people use the term non-smokers at times?

I see no issue with defining someone with what they aren't as equal to what they are... the more you take away of what they aren't the more developed picture you can get.

It's similar with an argument theists like to use. Thinking if an Atheist doesn't know what God is, how can they say they don't believe/it doesn't exist. An atheist can label what God is not, based on knowing this that exist that aren't God. I would say God and one's position on God can both be described by what they are not.

BTW: I don't like to say Buddishm is directly atheist. There are two major studies of Buddishm, one of which referees the Buddha as a personal God.

"In some Mahayana traditions, the Buddha is indeed worshiped as a virtual divinity who is possessed of supernatural qualities and powers. Dr. Guang Xing writes: "The Buddha worshiped by Mahayanist followers is an omnipotent divinity endowed with numerous supernatural attributes and qualities ...[He] is described almost as an omnipotent and almighty godhead."

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson