Atheism, the new cash cow ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2013, 01:46 PM
Atheism, the new cash cow ?
Maybe it's just me but lately I've noticed that some of the forerunners of this movement that have been at it awhile are less than passionate about what their doing or saying, and seem to be into it more for the money.

I'm not pointing to anyone in paticular, but when a offer comes along to have a 'dinner' with one of these people for $1000.00 a plate shows up, I tend to think twice. Not to mention quite a few jet-setting all over for 'lectures' that seem to be less than sincere and much more about repetition.

The more I watch 'debates' as of late, the more I feel like the whole thing is fixed and 'give a little to everyone in the audience' a bit of what they want, then collect your cash.

I may be way out of line here, and realise we need heavy hitters to keep the wheels turning, and I understand the human condition to take advantage of a situation. Maybe I'm just a bit naive, or have different standards of how I see the world.

Either way..... just wondering if I'm seeing things out of context, and what you all think about my observations ?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-12-2013, 01:58 PM
RE: Atheism, the new cash cow ?
Human nature bro. They see how much money televangelists and alike make , they mad, they want in.

I hear Dawkins is charging 30-60k for a lecture.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
22-12-2013, 01:59 PM
They are in demand for these speaking engagements.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-12-2013, 02:01 PM
When they don't believe what they are debating, and are only doing it for the money, that's when I have a problem with it. Everyone should make as much money as someone is willing to pay them; look at pro sports.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like WillHopp's post
22-12-2013, 02:47 PM (This post was last modified: 22-12-2013 02:52 PM by Bows and Arrows.)
(22-12-2013 01:59 PM)Chas Wrote:  They are in demand for these speaking engagements.

supply and demand.

But I think many of the big names have changed their game as well. They do lectures rather than debates because by agreeing to do the debate it (in a sense) makes it look like both sides are on equal footing to start with. We don't give those who say babies come from storks a spot on the debate stage because it gives them equal footing when they shouldn't have one. The big atheist names are doing the same thing to creationists. The creationists aren't worth the time because their ideas are so insane and don't deserve any implied credibility.

edited to make more sense.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
22-12-2013, 05:15 PM
I agree, supply and demand.

Interesting and entertaining speakers command a price. It's no different than sports or music. I have no problem with this and in fact I welcome the fact that intellectuals and scientists who are good communicators are getting sufficient interest that they can fill a room and be well paid. I find this a promising trend for the future.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
[+] 3 users Like Heathen's post
22-12-2013, 06:11 PM
Why is it a problem to get paid doing something you enjoy? People do lecture and get paid to do it. Doesn't make their message and lecture less meaningful. But it isn't like they can travel, maintain housing, bills and eat with no pay. Regarding how much dawkins charges for lectures, I'm not going to go off of "word has it" without something verifiable, otherwise it's rumors and guess work and hearsay. Wouldn't be very good critical thinking if we went off of hearsay, rumors and unverifiable things. We'd be no better than chr..... heh.. hehe...

I'm sure there are times people go and do lectures for little to nothing, or if they are sponsored, etc. But someone has to do it on someone else's dime, so who does it? Which dime? Does it matter?

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
22-12-2013, 06:25 PM
I think religion is still the cash cow. If I the desire and ability, I'd be more inclined to be a religious or cult leader if money was my objective.

22-12-2013, 06:38 PM
In the interview Seth did with Dawkins, I recall Dawkins saying he's done some lectures for free, especially in the bible belt, if only as a beacon for like-minded thinkers to be able to gather, meet, and not feel so alone. PErhaps this is the goal of some of the spaekers you've seen giving sub-par speeches?

Also, going around giving lectures on atheism, and being an active in the promotion of atheism could be very time consuming. May be their only source of income. I'd hope they are using it as their standard paycheck, and pumping it back into their efforts to advance the atheist community.
23-12-2013, 05:49 AM
Interesting....... I do agree with all of you as to the fact that making money is part of the game.... however what I fear for the future is that this movement will have its equal to the mega chuch's that we so gleefully point to when it comes to the christians fleecing their sheep.

I also think the time for debates is over, and lectures are a much better suited venue. Tho I also think that there should be more emphasis on a support network/ lectures for atheists, agnostics, freethinkers, etc.

Like I said , I dont begrudge anyone making a good living off of this movement, however when prices get to the point of being so expensive that the average person cant afford it, than it becomes a very small elite group with big mansions and bank accounts. (sound familiar ?)

This is deffinitely a rapid growing movement, especially in the states and I guess the smart ones are jumping on the bandwagon during this awakening.

I've always had a good intuition about things, and my gut is telling me now to back off, and just go back to living my life as allways, quietly not believing in fairy tales. Consider