23-12-2013, 07:16 AM
RE: Atheism, the new cash cow ?
More like a cash chicken than a cash cow. Angel

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-12-2013, 08:01 AM
Why so surprised? If you're a rare commodity, excel at what you do and deliver the content - hell yeah; charge, motherfucker, charge!

What gets me is that religious speakers aren't a rare commodity.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
23-12-2013, 10:47 AM
I'll say one more thing about this and it's in the same vein as what I posted before: If there is a group that is hosting a lecture series or think tank and paying all of its speakers/participants gobs of money, you need to do your research into that group to see what their motivation is, and if the participants are against the group's principles and motives then taking its money could have unsavory ramifications. I believe it was Dawkins (perhaps in the God Delusion) who wrote about a symposium (or something) that the Templeton Group sponsored and paid everyone a shit ton of cash to attend, as to give the appearance of the study being credible, but Dawkins refused the money because he didn't want anyone thinking he endorsed them.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-12-2013, 09:22 PM
I don't get why atheism is called a movement. Atheism simply is.
24-12-2013, 05:56 AM (This post was last modified: 24-12-2013 03:22 PM by War Horse.)
(23-12-2013 09:22 PM)Takelababy Wrote:  I don't get why atheism is called a movement. Atheism simply is.

Yes you are correct as to atheism per se , however atheist's are starting more and more, to rally and come together to fight off the religious wing nuts..... thus the term "movement" . If we dont stick together, the crazies will run the country and every aspect of our lives.
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
24-12-2013, 01:39 PM
Human nature, capitalism, blah blah blah. We all know the story already. Nothing is immune.

(23-12-2013 08:01 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Why so surprised? If you're a rare commodity, excel at what you do and deliver the content - hell yeah; charge, motherfucker, charge!

What gets me is that religious speakers aren't a rare commodity.

This is exactly what I was going to say. Except I don't believe Dawkins actually charges quite that much for his lectures.

(23-12-2013 09:22 PM)Takelababy Wrote:  I don't get why atheism is called a movement. Atheism simply is.

Atheists are a minority group slowly gaining more public awareness, who usually desire the same rights as other similar groups. Idk, I personally think it's a bit of a movement. One that's long overdue.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
24-12-2013, 02:58 PM
I tend to agree with you. I define a "movement" as an idea that is gaining in acceptance; is generating attention, exposure and is being discussed and debated in the public forum. So in that sense, yes, it is a movement.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume