Atheism - the term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-10-2010, 07:17 AM
Question Atheism - the term
Where does the word Atheism come from ? I mean historically how has it evolved.Were there other terms ?

And why use Atheist as a term I'm curios ?
I'd prefer to be called an A-deist : I don't accept deity.

What do you think ?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-10-2010, 07:47 AM

RE: Atheism - the term
According to dictionary.com:

atheist, noun: a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings.
Origin: 1565–75; < Gk áthe ( os ) godless + -ist

You can call yourself anything you wish. If you choose to accept the atheist label, that's your choice. I suggest you browse through the many threads on this forum that discuss the term "atheist" ...
Quote this message in a reply
19-10-2010, 07:59 AM
The term atheist comes from the Greek. The prefix "a" means without. Theos means god or deity. Theoi means deities or gods. It originally meant those who did not worship the Greek pantheon. It was a pejorative and little more. Later the Romans coopted the term and actually employed it as a legal criticism of anyone who did not practice the official state pantheon, including in particular those who rejected the declarations that elevated human being to demi-god status. Eventually, it became the basis for the persecution of the early Christians and Gnostics and other radical ecclesia such as Sol Invictus.

When the Emperor Constantine made Christianity the official state religion, the term remained but now referred to those who DID follow the Roman pantheon that had previously persectued Christianity. It also still referred to the Gnostics and Sol Invictus, et al. After the schisms, every Christian sect leveled the term at every other Christian sect as well as pagans, Jews, Muslims, what-have-you.

It was only in modern times that the term shifted to mean those who do not believe in any gods, and it was still a pejorative. Today, however, society has somewhat successfully re-branded the term. I proudly declare my atheism.

As for the term deism, that too is a relative new-comer to the vernacular. The deity of deism, however, is still a god; and the god of Abraham is no less a deity than Zeus was.
19-10-2010, 09:20 AM
Thanks , that explains some things.
At least I have a clearer picture now.
19-10-2010, 09:38 AM
You're welcome. One more quick note. The term theist comes from the term atheist. The Greek word atheos (without God) became "atheist" when it entered the English language as 2buckchuck notes. IST basically means "one who follows a creed." So if an atheist is one who follows the creed that he/she does not believe in gods, then one who does believe would be a theist. Then during the enlightenment when the biblical idea of god was being rejected, but atheism still seemed radical as well, the term deist was coined to distinguish between the ism that personal gods do not exist and theism.
19-10-2010, 05:13 PM
Thanks.

You seem very knowledgeable.
Did you take a course in literature or history ?
19-10-2010, 09:51 PM
Thanks. I studied art and communications.
01-11-2010, 11:07 AM

An atheist is one who doesn’t believe in God. The word atheist originated from Greek. According to studies more than 2% of the world population is atheist. They don’t believe in higher power. Whatever success one has in is because of hard work or luck rather than the blessing of any God. Anything bad happens it is because of one’s own fault. Most atheists are skeptic.
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Atheism in a Monarchy BrokenQuill92 14 605 25-06-2014 05:34 PM
Last Post: pablo628
  Nobody would be "good" anymore if the world turned to atheism? Pearl 22 669 06-03-2014 04:27 PM
Last Post: WillHopp
  gnostic atheism and god houseofcantor 1 230 07-08-2013 06:26 AM
Last Post: Chas
  Atheism 2.0 scientician 15 1,910 26-01-2012 04:39 PM
Last Post: kingschosen
  Atheism Spirituality gaglamesh731 24 2,594 17-02-2011 11:01 AM
Last Post: monkeywithcrayons