Atheism to be studied in Irish schools.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2013, 08:34 PM
Atheism to be studied in Irish schools.
Ireland is a country whose education system is dominated by the Catholic church. In that atmosphere, Atheist Ireland has scored one for our team.

In some schools, atheism will be a part of Religious Education. From what I gather, religious education will still be mandatory, but it's a beginning.

What do you think? Will this lesson be taught reluctantly, like an honest science teacher grudgingly covering creationism? Or, will it be treated like any other belief? Will parents keep their kids out of that lesson?

Any Irish folks out there like to offer a perspective?

WWMWAZSKDTVQHTMJD?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2013, 08:39 PM
RE: Atheism to be studied in Irish schools.
That seems stupid to teach atheism in schools.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
03-10-2013, 08:42 PM
Atheism can be covered in one sentence. Someone is gonna screw this up, don't most catholics think we're mislead by the devil or what not?
[+] 2 users Like grizzlysnake's post
03-10-2013, 09:24 PM
It's a huge step (theoretically) for a country whose last world-news-worthy deed was killing a woman in need of a lifesaving abortion in the name of Catholicism, but I seriously doubt it will be given much time. I can see them maybe mentioning it as a guide to what NOT to believe... Rolleyes

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
[+] 1 user Likes Ohio Sky's post
04-10-2013, 04:33 AM
Re: Atheism to be studied in Irish schools.
Are they teaching other religions in this study?

"Love is hot, Truth is molten!"
04-10-2013, 10:14 AM
I can see teaching how some people are atheists and what that means, and what atheist religions are as part of a world religions class, like the one I had in high school. The one thing that was missed out in that class was the fact that not everyone has a religion. We were taught about Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Confucianism and Taoism, aboriginal faiths, Hinduism, and Jainism as far as I remember, but not once was it mentioned that people without religions exist.

While all it takes is a few minutes to clarify that people without religions can be good, moral people who don't worship the devil, that has always been omitted from such classes.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
[+] 2 users Like Elesjei's post
04-10-2013, 11:58 AM
(04-10-2013 04:33 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Are they teaching other religions in this study?

I think it's being done a couple of different ways. One is, including atheism as a belief among other beliefs. Not quite accurate, I know. Another is an online or app-based alternative to religious studies.

I'd like to see that online option. I wonder if it's available to the public.

WWMWAZSKDTVQHTMJD?
04-10-2013, 09:56 PM
They just shouldn't do it at all.
As Grizzly said it'd be a 1 line lesson.

They'll just fuck it up and put people off. Better to keep teaching the crazy religious shit and let people make up their own minds.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
05-10-2013, 04:08 PM
How can you teach atheism? There are no set beliefs or ways of acting or life lessons or anything. There is: "I do not believe in a god". That's not even a lesson, let alone an entire subject.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The Preacher who decided to "Try On" Atheism loses his job!!! cybertuna 16 584 13-01-2014 03:47 PM
Last Post: Im_Ryan
  Creationism in Texan Public Schools Vosur 24 1,088 01-02-2013 01:59 AM
Last Post: Aseptic Skeptic
  God Did Not Protect Connecticut Shooting Victims Because Prayer Banned In Schools KVron 24 1,692 30-12-2012 05:00 PM
Last Post: Elesjei
  Do religious people have the right to rent out schools for worship services? Buddy Christ 7 748 05-07-2012 11:36 PM
Last Post: SlipStitch
  Pastor Calls for Bus Boycott Over Atheism Ads GassyKitten 2 522 07-12-2010 05:37 PM
Last Post: GassyKitten