Atheism vs. Evidence for God's Existence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2016, 02:06 PM
RE: Atheism vs. Evidence for God's Existence
(17-05-2016 01:57 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(17-05-2016 01:52 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Can someone explain why we have two very similar threads created by abbyp1?

Threads merged

Hail to Lord Pablo. Saviour of TTA. Wielder of the mod button. Look on his works ye mighty and complain "This thread should be split" "Why's this troll being tolerated" "Mods hate me".

I will admit my praise-singing needs work.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
17-05-2016, 02:18 PM (This post was last modified: 17-05-2016 02:27 PM by morondog.)
OP to answer your question, I am an atheist after being brought up as a Christian.

After some time I realised that a lot of what I was being told smelled like bullshit, so I tried to confirm it. Initially I did the usual Christian things like asking the pastor and reading the Bible and praying but none of the given answers were satisfying. Mostly they were of the "Shut up, pray for guidance and everything will be fine" variety, occasionally they were of the "I do not know but someone does and they say X" - i.e. an argument from authority. No one could give proper answers. ETA: God utterly failed to answer anything either. ETA ETA: Which is a specific total lie on his part then to say "seek and ye shall find" - there are literally thousands of people who seek and never find. So God's a proven liar if he exists. Which he doesn't Smile

So after the Christian line of questioning was a dead end I kinda left it like that for a while but I was fortunate to encounter critical thinking skills at university - yes, universities are hot-beds of sin and atheism - which enabled me to further understand the mental manipulation tricks that Christianity (and religion in general) uses to hold people in thrall.

I am specifically an atheist because I haven't seen evidence for any God and besides having acquired a taste for thinking for myself even if there was a deity proven and benevolent I'd be hard-pressed to think of a reason to follow it. God can get stuffed. Humans are better than Gods.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
17-05-2016, 02:18 PM
I don't know of any evidence of god's existence.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
17-05-2016, 02:22 PM
(17-05-2016 01:19 PM)abbyp1 Wrote:  I am just curious as to what some arguments/reasons people have for being atheists?
Overall, just why are you an atheist?

I tested my religious beliefs and found them to be indistinguishable from fairy tales. I tested my god and found it to be equivalent to Santa or the tooth fairy.

Religious beliefs don't hold up well to genuine inquiry and rational thought based on evidence and logic.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 5 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
17-05-2016, 03:09 PM
(17-05-2016 01:19 PM)abbyp1 Wrote:  I am just curious as to what some arguments/reasons people have for being atheists?

Quite simply, because there is insufficient evidence to believe in god.

You wouldn't want to go believing in things that lack evidence would you? That sort of behavior leads to people giving their banking info to that nice fellow in Nigeria. Or killing themselves so they can ascend to the mothership.

Depending on the definition of god that is presented, most fall into one of three categories:
- Incoherent and nonsensical. Have a look around the Atheism and Theism thread and you'll find bushels of these. Here's a particularly ridiculous example.
- At odds with a large amount of available evidence. Creationists of all ilk fall into this group along with a host of others. If religion is in conflict with reality then you'd best stick with reality.
- Lacking evidence. Deistic gods and gods of the gaps find their home here. They're plausible but there isn't a single grain of evidence for them. Usually they're defined that way.

For a quick exercise in atheism, reflect upon your belief in Brahma. Don't believe in him? Well that's how an atheist feels.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 5 users Like Paleophyte's post
17-05-2016, 03:09 PM

I think the bigger question would be "Why believe?".

Atheism is the null position. Should suitable evidence for a god or it's existence, we might change the position.

All it is, is a lack of belief?

There is a section of people introductions of why the left. I would suggest going threw those. Many of the story's are traumatic, some just never conceived of the notion and other's came to reason threw other means.

The short version of my story is I had questions. And threw the years of finding the answers to the questions, and finally taking a step back to look at my own beliefs I realized I had no good reason to attach these beliefs to anything.

Hope you come back with more of your questions. Maybe we can find the answers together.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
17-05-2016, 03:12 PM

I'm curious to know if you believe Harry Potter is a real person?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
17-05-2016, 04:28 PM

What makes you think I'm an atheist?

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
17-05-2016, 05:20 PM
I'm just in it for the killing, raping, stealing, etc.

[Sent from Mid-Missouri Correctional Center.]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Gawdzilla's post
17-05-2016, 07:26 PM
I’ve examined the Wikipedia page on the subject, and I just don’t believe in Mithras. It doesn’t make sense to me, and it’s not relevant to my life. I don’t want to go through their weird initiation rituals and I don’t think I can gain anything from further studying the Mithratic mysteries.

It’s that simple. I just don’t think there’s any credibility to what they say.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post