Atheism vs. Evidence for God's Existence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2016, 07:44 PM
RE: Atheism vs. Evidence for God's Existence
(17-05-2016 07:26 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I’ve examined the Wikipedia page on the subject, and I just don’t believe in Mithras. It doesn’t make sense to me, and it’s not relevant to my life. I don’t want to go through their weird initiation rituals and I don’t think I can gain anything from further studying the Mithratic mysteries.

It’s that simple. I just don’t think there’s any credibility to what they say.

I know what you mean.

I'm the same with Judaism.

Buncha freaks.

Tongue

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
17-05-2016, 08:03 PM
(17-05-2016 07:44 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(17-05-2016 07:26 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I’ve examined the Wikipedia page on the subject, and I just don’t believe in Mithras. It doesn’t make sense to me, and it’s not relevant to my life. I don’t want to go through their weird initiation rituals and I don’t think I can gain anything from further studying the Mithratic mysteries.

It’s that simple. I just don’t think there’s any credibility to what they say.

I know what you mean.

I'm the same with Judaism.

Buncha freaks.

Tongue

Whaaat? OMG. You're so going to hell.
[+] 5 users Like Aliza's post
17-05-2016, 08:17 PM
'Cause babies are fuckin' delicious.

[Image: bush-eating-baby.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
17-05-2016, 09:11 PM
(17-05-2016 01:35 PM)abbyp1 Wrote:  I was just wondering if someone could explain why they are an atheist and why they do not believe in God?
Thanks

Hi! Welcome to the forum!

My personal story is not unique. I was raised catholic and believed for much of my life. About six years ago, I was confronted with information that challenged my beliefs in catholicism and in god.

My response was to do research. I wanted to know what was true. I read books, watched lectures and debates and read blogs/forums. I was hoping that my theistic beliefs could be supported by evidence, as I had been taught.

This was not the case. When presented with science or logical challenges, the religious answers were usually to point out why the science didn't matter, rather than to prove it wrong.

Eventually, I became convinced that there is no god/gods and that the various forms of religion are all false.

I continue to read and learn and as yet, have found nothing to change my mind.

Does that answer your questions?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
17-05-2016, 09:51 PM
(17-05-2016 01:19 PM)abbyp1 Wrote:  I am just curious as to what some arguments/reasons people have for being atheists?
Overall, just why are you an atheist?

Because in all My 58 years I have never seen even one piece of credible evidence for the existence of gods -- Any god. (For the record, I am agnostic regarding My own divinity and would not testify in a court of law that I actually am a goddess.)

If you specifically mean the god described in the Bible, that particular character is simply too execrably stupid to be the creator of this universe (or indeed of any of its components). If it couldn't handle a Talking Snake™ in the Garden of Eden, the very thought of putting together a hydrogen atom from scratch would almost certainly give it a holy aneurysm.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like Astreja's post
17-05-2016, 10:35 PM
I became an atheist when aged 4. I felt religion childish, foolish and nonsensical.

As I grew up this idea was only reinforced as I studied further.

I think the real question is this: Why does anyone believe such utter nonsense???

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
17-05-2016, 10:53 PM
I don't accept the biblical god as real for the same reason I don't accept Darth Vader or Voldemort as real. Magic lords who go around slaughtering innocents for their own inscrutable reasons are literary devices, not people.
[+] 3 users Like I Am's post
18-05-2016, 12:14 AM
(17-05-2016 10:35 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I became an atheist when aged 4. I felt religion childish, foolish and nonsensical.

As I grew up this idea was only reinforced as I studied further.

I think the real question is this: Why does anyone believe such utter nonsense???

As with many religions, their fundamental motivation is one of selfish - personal greed!

The promises of eternal life is enough to drive their earthly insanity!
[+] 1 user Likes Composer's post
18-05-2016, 05:42 AM
(17-05-2016 01:19 PM)abbyp1 Wrote:  I am just curious as to what some arguments/reasons people have for being atheists?
Overall, just why are you an atheist?

After being raised in a Pentecostal/fundamentalist household, I learned that all of the so-called "evidence" for god was an exercise in confirmation bias, I slowly learned to view the world with less confirmation bias. When I viewed various miracle and god claims without the filter of confirmation bias, all of this supposed "proof" dissolved.

Every bit of it was anecdotes, post-hoc rationalizations and misinterpreting the world around you.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
18-05-2016, 05:48 AM
I didn't find anything admirable about the god character that I was ordered to worship. I read a lot of religious philosophy once I got to college and found, over and over, two general conceptions of god: a first mover deity so nebulous and removed that being religious is pointless, or a repulsive, anthropomorphic, angry dad/abusive boyfriend god.

Ideas of god aside, I considered the practical effects of my religion (Christianity). Chief among them were the fostering of an obedient and unquestioning attitude towards authority (especially male authority--I am female and thus a second-class citizen in this religion) and a perpetual demand for money. And of course I was not supposed to second-guess how any money I contributed was spent, or why the pastor of my church had an enormous house and wore designer suits while I was worrying about paying the electric bill and wearing holes through my shoes, I was just to keep putting my money in the collection plate.

One practical effect of religion that I could not find was evidence that a god is intervening to the benefit of any group of humans. He wasn't turning aside hurricanes or tornados, he wasn't curing Christian family members' cancers at greater rates or keeping their cars from having accidents, etc.
[+] 5 users Like julep's post