RE: Atheism vs. Evidence for God's Existence
[Image: atheism2.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like EvolutionKills's post
20-05-2016, 10:00 PM
Can you give me any way in which Jesus was unique or special?

Can you show how Judaism is unique or special?

Can you give me any reason to think any of the OT was divinely inspired?

No?

Then why should I believe it?
[+] 3 users Like natachan's post
20-05-2016, 10:16 PM
(17-05-2016 01:35 PM)abbyp1 Wrote:  I was just wondering if someone could explain why they are an atheist and why they do not believe in God?
Thanks

There is no evidence of any gods. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-05-2016, 10:20 PM
Why am I an atheist? Because I lack faith and god(s) lack evidence.
21-05-2016, 06:07 PM (This post was last modified: 21-05-2016 06:16 PM by SpiritualAnarchist.)
The truth is we are all essentially Atheist. The difference between someone who Identifies themselves as an Atheist and those who do not is that the Atheist has one less god than the person who identifies as a Theist.

If you belong to a Monotheistic Religion and have monotheistic beliefs then you are going to identify as a Theist. But the irony is to the Atheists you are just a different type of Atheist.

Why is this? Because you do not believe that other gods exists. If a god is an invisible person that lives in a supernatural realm that has supernatural powers that can influence or create reality by supernatural means... then all theological arguments would apply to such a being.

For instance many Theologians will argue the god man of Christianity is the creator of our world/universe and is a necessary being.

But if this were true than any god could be argued as a necessary being. All that would be necessary would to be establish this god as a "creator" god. And if all the creator gods are real because they are necessary beings than because most of these gods live in a pantheon of gods we would have to accept Polytheism as necessary.

And from that we could conclude that all gods exist necessarily.

This works with almost any Theological Argument for god.

Since most if not all Theists deny other gods exists they are denying these necessary beings as existing or even being possible.

Most Theist use the same term for other gods that Atheists do. That is most ..if not all theists... refer to other peoples gods as mythological gods.

So in this sense as Richard Dawkins kindly points out most people are Atheists when it comes to other peoples gods.

Because I also see gods as Mythological and I see the God of Monotheism as a Mythological Construct I identify as an Atheist.

Because I do not think the question ends with Mythological gods or Mythological Constructs of Monotheism I further Identify as a Philosophical Atheist which means I am very interested in exploring the Philosophers God which is very different from the Theologians God.

The Philosopher's God is based on Metaphysics not Theology. Because of this the God Concept(s) involved is in no way dependent on beliefs systems or the Supernatural.

Just as Natural Science has divorced itself from Philosophy ... Metaphysics has divorced itself from Theology.

Because I think that Science will always need a Philosophy of Science I think there is room for a reconciliation between Science and Metaphysics.

As a Spiritual Atheist I think that there are even deeper implications to be explored that go deeper than Metaphysics and Science can explore separately.

But until we can get Theology completely out of Metaphysics as well as Science I will focus most of my work on Metaphysics itself and I will continue to Identify as an Atheist.

The exception being when I am cornered between Atheists that lean towards Naïve Realism or Nihilism and someone that uses God in a Nontheistic way.

In that unique situation I will admit that I am not an Atheist but more of a Nontheist.

This is to indicate that I think that God is a Metaphysical question and not a Theological question.

So in conclusion the Metaphysical question of God should only be addressed by Scientist and Philosophers. And the Theological Concepts or Beliefs about God are irrelevant except to other Theologians and the flock of sheeple that follow them.

See Also
The Repercussions
of Pseudo Metaphysics
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes SpiritualAnarchist's post
21-05-2016, 06:13 PM
(17-05-2016 01:19 PM)abbyp1 Wrote:  I am just curious as to what some arguments/reasons people have for being atheists?
Overall, just why are you an atheist?

Because it is impossible for me to believe in Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, Superman, Jehovah, Thor, Odin, Zeus, or Jesus. or any other miraculous character. No arguments at all for me. If there is evidence for any of these fictional characters say so.
21-05-2016, 08:24 PM
(21-05-2016 06:13 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  
(17-05-2016 01:19 PM)abbyp1 Wrote:  I am just curious as to what some arguments/reasons people have for being atheists?
Overall, just why are you an atheist?

Because it is impossible for me to believe in Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, Superman, Jehovah, Thor, Odin, Zeus, or Jesus. or any other miraculous character. No arguments at all for me. If there is evidence for any of these fictional characters say so.

Wait a minute. Atheists don't believe in Superman?

That's just ridiculous. How many times has Superman saved Metropolis? I mean, come on now. Rolleyes
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
21-05-2016, 08:27 PM
(21-05-2016 08:24 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(21-05-2016 06:13 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  Because it is impossible for me to believe in Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, Superman, Jehovah, Thor, Odin, Zeus, or Jesus. or any other miraculous character. No arguments at all for me. If there is evidence for any of these fictional characters say so.

Wait a minute. Atheists don't believe in Superman?

That's just ridiculous. How many times has Superman saved Metropolis? I mean, come on now. Rolleyes

[Image: god.jpg]

Relevant. Tongue

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
22-05-2016, 06:03 AM
(21-05-2016 08:27 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(21-05-2016 08:24 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Wait a minute. Atheists don't believe in Superman?

[Image: god.jpg]

Relevant. Tongue

There are currently 65 people with the name Peter Parker who live in New York.

Peter Parker

That's even better evidence for Spiderman than Jesus. Big Grin

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
22-05-2016, 06:31 AM
(22-05-2016 06:03 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(21-05-2016 08:27 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  [Image: god.jpg]

Relevant. Tongue

There are currently 65 people with the name Peter Parker who live in New York.

Peter Parker

That's even better evidence for Spiderman than Jesus. Big Grin

If we can track down any that do or do not have an Aunt May we'll be able to narrow down that list.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post