Atheism vs. Evidence for God's Existence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-05-2016, 10:24 AM
RE: Atheism vs. Evidence for God's Existence
(17-05-2016 01:19 PM)abbyp1 Wrote:  I am just curious as to what some arguments/reasons people have for being atheists?
Overall, just why are you an atheist?

One thing is certain, let's suppose the god of the Christians is real then I tell you he's evil. All you have to do is read the old testament to see what an evil mother fucker that is. Evil means imperfect period no need to prove that. And when it comes to a benevolent all powerful god there's no such thing if there was we wouldn't be living this imperfect life in this imperfect world.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-05-2016, 12:38 PM
A simple question for any bible believer. What fraction of the bible is fiction?
[+] 2 users Like walter hollingsworth's post
28-05-2016, 02:19 PM
(28-05-2016 12:38 PM)walter hollingsworth Wrote:  A simple question for any bible believer. What fraction of the bible is fiction?

Their response would be "All of it's true. Except the bad parts. Or the parts I don't agree with."

That's why it's so great because it's so accommodating.

Laughat

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
28-05-2016, 03:03 PM
(17-05-2016 01:19 PM)abbyp1 Wrote:  I am just curious as to what some arguments/reasons people have for being atheists?
Overall, just why are you an atheist?

I didn't read through 6 pages of answers now but here my answer:
Atheist is simply, per definition, the lack of belief in theism.

Generally, if there is no proof for a claim, I will not believe it even if it is more comfy and makes me feel good.
Everything that has no proof falls into this category. Fairies, Leprecauns, Easterbunny, Gods, Santa Claus, Unicorns, Ghosts, etc. No exceptions.

Makes sense?

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 2 users Like Leerob's post
28-05-2016, 03:11 PM
(28-05-2016 02:19 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  
(28-05-2016 12:38 PM)walter hollingsworth Wrote:  A simple question for any bible believer. What fraction of the bible is fiction?

Their response would be "All of it's true. Except the bad parts. Or the parts I don't agree with."

Laughat
Well, their response is that it is all true, that there are no contradictions, that the bits where it says the universe were made in 6 days doesn't mean Earth days, that where it says people ought to be put to death for working on Sabbath or for disrespecting parents of wearing clothes of more than one cloth, well, you need to intepret it correctly.

It basically means it is OK to wear clothes of more than one cloth, that perhaps you owe it to yourself to take a rest every week-end but don't get too worried if you do some work, and that you should perhaps think about poor mum and dad and what they have done for you before you give them a hard time.

Basically, the actually words in the bible don't really mean anything, they may perhaps bring up a topic or a situation and it is upto YOU to think about it and decide for yourself what the take home message is.
28-05-2016, 03:11 PM
(17-05-2016 01:35 PM)abbyp1 Wrote:  I was just wondering if someone could explain why they are an atheist and why they do not believe in God?
Thanks

An atheist has no need to "explain" why they have no belief in the existence of supernatural entities. Supernatural (Latin, supra "above" + naturalis "natural") is defined as something which is incapable of being explained empirically by science and/or the laws of nature.

Put simply, I disbelieve in the existence of so-called gods for exactly the same reasons you don't believe in leprechauns, the Easter bunny, or unicorns.

And atheism, per se, is simply a state of mind—nothing more, nothing less. Unlike religion, its single tenet (that gods don't exist) doesn't rely on layer upon layers of faith, which is itself defined as belief without evidence.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
02-06-2016, 10:33 PM
(17-05-2016 02:18 PM)Dom Wrote:  I don't know of any evidence of god's existence.

Neither do I
02-06-2016, 11:49 PM
(28-05-2016 03:11 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(28-05-2016 02:19 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Their response would be "All of it's true. Except the bad parts. Or the parts I don't agree with."

Laughat
Well, their response is that it is all true, that there are no contradictions, that the bits where it says the universe were made in 6 days doesn't mean Earth days, that where it says people ought to be put to death for working on Sabbath or for disrespecting parents of wearing clothes of more than one cloth, well, you need to intepret it correctly.

It basically means it is OK to wear clothes of more than one cloth, that perhaps you owe it to yourself to take a rest every week-end but don't get too worried if you do some work, and that you should perhaps think about poor mum and dad and what they have done for you before you give them a hard time.

Basically, the actually words in the bible don't really mean anything, they may perhaps bring up a topic or a situation and it is upto YOU to think about it and decide for yourself what the take home message is.

A friend of mine insists that the rules about killing your kid for disobedience or killing other people for being different were "just for the old time Hebrews" and that "they wouldn't have understood anything else, these guys were savages you must remember" Facepalm I mean fuck, I get stupider just thinking about such a crappy excuse.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
03-06-2016, 12:29 AM
(27-05-2016 05:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(17-05-2016 01:19 PM)abbyp1 Wrote:  Overall, just why are you an atheist?

I see no good reason not to be.
Since when are you an atheist? Tongue

For some reason I feel like you usually call yourself something else. But I have a faulty memory, so I could very well be wrong.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
03-06-2016, 12:35 AM
(03-06-2016 12:29 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(27-05-2016 05:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I see no good reason not to be.
Since when are you an atheist? Tongue

For some reason I feel like you usually call yourself something else. But I have a faulty memory, so I could very well be wrong.

Bob asserts that he is Bob.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.