Atheism vs. Nihilism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-06-2011, 03:05 AM
RE: Atheism vs. Nihilism?
It was my understanding that Nihilism was the position of the "what's the point?" mentality, rendering life meaningless and achieving goals an exercise in futility.

So is this whole thread just another way of asking atheists, "what DO you believe in?" slash "isn't life purposeless without God?"

One of those silly questions? When people say "so you don't believe in anything?" to me I usually response: "yes, in the way people who don't believe in Santa Claus don't believe in anything."

C'mon people you know the drill... it's past midnight so I'm a little high. Tried to finish this post before it kicked in. Got to the Santa Claus part and lost that game. But you get the gist. Peanut butter.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2011, 10:17 AM
(03-06-2011 03:05 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  It was my understanding that Nihilism was the position of the "what's the point?" mentality, rendering life meaningless and achieving goals an exercise in futility.

No. That's teenage nihilism. In other words, not nihilism so much as Wangst taken Up To Eleven.

Actual nihilism is just the philosophical position that things like objective morality do not exist.

Most atheists, myself included, are nihilists.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
03-06-2011, 12:20 PM
I am an Atheist and a Nihilist.... However, I can’t get my mind to function on Nihilism all the time. I enjoy life and existence, even though I know both are pointless. I guess it is better to exist in a pointless universe than to not exist at all. Hehehe then again…..
03-06-2011, 04:04 PM
(03-06-2011 12:20 PM)myst32 Wrote:  I am an Atheist and a Nihilist.... However, I can’t get my mind to function on Nihilism all the time. I enjoy life and existence, even though I know both are pointless.

Nihilism doesn't say that you can't enjoy life. Nihilism just said that there is no objective "meaning" to life.

Aside from 42, I mean.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
03-06-2011, 04:27 PM
I am an advocate of Nietzsche's "transitional nihilism."

Quote:"Religion poisons everything." - Christopher Hitchens
03-06-2011, 04:36 PM

I read the subject line and immediately recalled those posts wherein people equate atheism with communism.

Nihilism

Nihilism is the belief that all values are baseless and that nothing can be known or communicated. It is often associated with extreme pessimism and a radical skepticism that condemns existence. A true nihilist would believe in nothing, have no loyalties, and no purpose other than, perhaps, an impulse to destroy. While few philosophers would claim to be nihilists, nihilism is most often associated with Friedrich Nietzsche who argued that its corrosive effects would eventually destroy all moral, religious, and metaphysical convictions and precipitate the greatest crisis in human history. In the 20th century, nihilistic themes–epistemological failure, value destruction, and cosmic purposelessness–have preoccupied artists, social critics, and philosophers. Mid-century, for example, the existentialists helped popularize tenets of nihilism in their attempts to blunt its destructive potential. By the end of the century, existential despair as a response to nihilism gave way to an attitude of indifference, often associated with antifoundationalism.
(Source: Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

I'm atheist. I'm too decent to qualify as a Nihilist. TongueCool

Stefania, I highlighted in bold this definition's reference to Nietzsche. I've not heard before of his, Transitional Nihilism. Do you have information from his writings on that, that you might care to add to the conversation? Smile
Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2011, 08:21 PM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2011 08:45 PM by GirlyMan.)
(03-06-2011 04:04 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Nihilism doesn't say that you can't enjoy life. Nihilism just said that there is no objective "meaning" to life.

I don't think you can actually fully appreciate and enjoy life until you are a nihilist. Until you realize that all meaning is local, artificial, and temporary you will not appreciate the appropriate sense of urgency. Be here now bitches.

(03-06-2011 04:04 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Aside from 42, I mean.

Aside from that. Wink RIP Douglas Adams. So long and thanks for all the fish.

(03-06-2011 02:06 AM)The_observer Wrote:  ... or go pop some Virtual Bubble wrap Smile

Very nice! Thanks! Almost as gratifying as the real thing. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
03-06-2011, 11:31 PM

Is nihilism even existentially possible to live with integrity?
04-06-2011, 12:06 AM
I think we should agree that Nihilists have a point, but then again its a philosophy, you can either agree with it or disagree with it. Also, there is no perfect philosophy!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-06-2011, 12:14 AM

(04-06-2011 12:06 AM)godofskeptic Wrote:  I think we should agree that Nihilists have a point, but then again its a philosophy, you can either agree with it or disagree with it. Also, there is no perfect philosophy!

Well, you have people saying nothing is clear. And you have others saying some things are clear. (Clear as in the possibility of knowledge).

Nothing is clear and some things are clear. Both cannot be true and both cannot be false. Understanding the meaning of those judgements.

What do you think?
[+] 1 user Likes Inexcused's post