Atheism vs Pantheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-01-2014, 10:29 AM
Atheism vs Pantheism
So I finally got along to reading The God Delusion, and there is a passage that describes Pantheism as a "sexed up Atheism." Now before this, I've never heard of Pantheism. So I Googled it real quick and read this article by pantheism.net.
I understand the difference in theory, or how it's explained. Everything sounds better on paper though, so I'm curious about other people's experiences with Pantheists, as well as other comments, thoughts or concerns.

Atir aissom atir imon
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-01-2014, 10:33 AM
RE: Atheism vs Pantheism
Pantheism sucks balls. They simply rename universe to look cool.
29-01-2014, 10:50 AM
Buncha flakes. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
29-01-2014, 10:57 AM
cantor what pleasure do you get out of posting bullshit?
29-01-2014, 10:57 AM
I think it's like calling yourself an agnostic. Really you are an atheist, but it's just easier and more socially acceptable to say, rather than to say atheist.

In a lot of people's mind as long as you still allow some room for some vaguely spiritual concept, however poorly defined, or unbelieved in practice by you, as long as you leave that space for it there, they seem more comfortable with you. It's a social cheat.

29-01-2014, 10:58 AM
(29-01-2014 10:57 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  I think it's like calling yourself an agnostic. Really you are an atheist, but it's just easier and more socially acceptable to say, rather than to say atheist.

In a lot of people's mind as long as you still allow some room for some vague spiritual concept, however poorly defined, or unrelieved in practice by you, as long as you leave that space of it there they seem more comfortable with you. It's a social cheat.
Yeah because in society having a religion is viewed more positive then having no religion even if the religion doesn't mean anything.
29-01-2014, 12:04 PM
Pantheism, eh? Well, as a wise man once said:
(24-08-2013 08:28 PM)cjlr Wrote:  There's some pretty foundational things I've never had explained to me coherently by a pantheist.

1. What is the nature of the divine? (corollary: can a meaningful distinction be made between pantheism and panentheism?)
2. Does it interact in non-natural* ways?
3. Is the interaction - if any - of human interest? That is, is prayer effective, or are there prophets?

To 1 the answer may well be "we don't understand it"; if so we can equally well say we do not understand the universe without then calling it god because we don't understand it. In any case I have yet to hear a positive, definite, coherent answer. If you can't explain something then why suppose it.

If you get 'no' for 3 (and implicitly then 2), then there is no way for the belief to inform human actions and no way for the belief to affect human inquiry. A divinity inextricably present in everything - such that all is then inseparable from its presence - is not actually of any interest. Since, then, we are necessarily included in it, it consequently has no bearing on our human attempts at understanding. It's not like we've ever yet had to throw in the towel when it comes to scientific, naturalistic explanations for the universe around us. Which makes it essentially a rephrased deism, in that cosmogeny is the only sphere in which it might be of any relevance - and even then, so what?.

If you get a 'yes' for 3, then what are the examples? Why are all such claims extraordinarily tenuous and so easily dismissed?

*note: something which acts within the universe by predictable and observable means is necessarily natural as I'd define it.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
29-01-2014, 12:04 PM
LOL i read the link you've given and it seems like pantheism is just atheism for hipsters.

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
[+] 2 users Like IndianAtheist's post
29-01-2014, 12:09 PM
(29-01-2014 12:04 PM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  LOL i read the link you've given and it seems like pantheism is just atheism for hipsters.

Haha I absolutely agree! Seems it's atheists that recycle and try to come across as the good guys.

~Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.~
29-01-2014, 12:09 PM
I need to read up more on this "Pantheist" thing, I like the sexed up part and might just join for that. Yes