Atheism vs Pantheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-01-2014, 02:09 PM
RE: Atheism vs Pantheism
It is kind of sexed up atheism... If pantheists actually believe in anything then I doubt they actually really know what it is. Which is fuckin' stupid...

I think their "god" is more of an emotional response to the universe... Why they have to call that feeling "god" I'll never know.

Or some shit

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-01-2014, 02:47 PM
They call that feeling god because they are too chicken shit to come out as Atheists (if they are actually pantheists). As far as Hawking and I would suspect Einstein also that both used the term god in a poetic sense that laypeople misunderstood. For that matter, the vast majority of scientists (mostly physicists) that speak of god do so poetically.

Using Tapatalk
Find all posts by this user
29-01-2014, 04:14 PM
(29-01-2014 10:29 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  So I finally got along to reading The God Delusion, and there is a passage that describes Pantheism as a "sexed up Atheism." Now before this, I've never heard of Pantheism. So I Googled it real quick and read this article by pantheism.net.
I understand the difference in theory, or how it's explained. Everything sounds better on paper though, so I'm curious about other people's experiences with Pantheists, as well as other comments, thoughts or concerns.

There is a difference from the Pantheist or Naturalistic Pagan side though.

Atheists generally do not hold The Universe to be sacred or holy, these are words generally associated with God/religion. Atheists tend to think that we are just a speck of dust, lucky to be here though,

Pantheists have a deep reverence and respect for the interconnected reality. There is a deep level of honor and worship involved especially for Pagans and Witches who are Pantheists and view Nature as The Goddess.

Often times, ritual and other spiritual practices are centered around their Pantheistic belief systems which seems to be devoid or avoided in atheism. Some people feel a need for ritual or rituals of some kind and Pantheist provides that.

I personally do not view Pantheists or Naturalistic Pagans as atheists or sexed up atheists because of their belief in The energies and elements as The Goddess or The Universe as God, I do realize that it may seem to be atheistic from the atheist side though.

Take Shadakism for example, the religion I was raised with. It teaches that The Goddess is The Universe/Nature, she is the elements and energies that exist within Nature and she is to be revered, honored and worshiped.

Also, we can use the energies and elements around us to bring about change (Magic).

There are rituals to honor The Goddess and rituals to honor our own personal connection to The Goddess such as Loudon, Day of the Witch. Stripped down I suppose it could seem very atheistic but I dont know of any serious atheists who would bother with magic, ritual, devotion, becoming Vegan so that they can totally respect The Earth, etc etc....

An atheist can be Vegan, can engage in ritual (In my opinion, spiritual atheists do exist) An atheist can however be completely unconcerned with The environment, she can hate Nature, eat and hunt on a regular basis, litter, not read a single book, never engage in meditation, never practice magic, etc etc where a Pantheist or someone on that line of thought would find these actions to be disgusting.
29-01-2014, 04:17 PM
(29-01-2014 04:14 PM)Irishdize Wrote:  
(29-01-2014 10:29 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  So I finally got along to reading The God Delusion, and there is a passage that describes Pantheism as a "sexed up Atheism." Now before this, I've never heard of Pantheism. So I Googled it real quick and read this article by pantheism.net.
I understand the difference in theory, or how it's explained. Everything sounds better on paper though, so I'm curious about other people's experiences with Pantheists, as well as other comments, thoughts or concerns.

There is a difference from the Pantheist or Naturalistic Pagan side though.

Atheists generally do not hold The Universe to be sacred or holy, these are words generally associated with God/religion. Atheists tend to think that we are just a speck of dust, lucky to be here though,

Pantheists have a deep reverence and respect for the interconnected reality. There is a deep level of honor and worship involved especially for Pagans and Witches who are Pantheists and view Nature as The Goddess.

Often times, ritual and other spiritual practices are centered around their Pantheistic belief systems which seems to be devoid or avoided in atheism. Some people feel a need for ritual or rituals of some kind and Pantheist provides that.

I personally do not view Pantheists or Naturalistic Pagans as atheists or sexed up atheists because of their belief in The energies and elements as The Goddess or The Universe as God, I do realize that it may seem to be atheistic from the atheist side though.

Take Shadakism for example, the religion I was raised with. It teaches that The Goddess is The Universe/Nature, she is the elements and energies that exist within Nature and she is to be revered, honored and worshiped.

Also, we can use the energies and elements around us to bring about change (Magic).

There are rituals to honor The Goddess and rituals to honor our own personal connection to The Goddess such as Loudon, Day of the Witch. Stripped down I suppose it could seem very atheistic but I dont know of any serious atheists who would bother with magic, ritual, devotion, becoming Vegan so that they can totally respect The Earth, etc etc....

An atheist can be Vegan, can engage in ritual (In my opinion, spiritual atheists do exist) An atheist can however be completely unconcerned with The environment, she can hate Nature, eat and hunt on a regular basis, litter, not read a single book, never engage in meditation, never practice magic, etc etc where a Pantheist or someone on that line of thought would find these actions to be disgusting.

Hmm...so like it was said earlier, hippies.

~Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.~
29-01-2014, 04:24 PM
(29-01-2014 04:17 PM)kellyrm Wrote:  
(29-01-2014 04:14 PM)Irishdize Wrote:  There is a difference from the Pantheist or Naturalistic Pagan side though.

Hmm...so like it was said earlier, hippies.

Maybe, what is wrong with hippies? I personally love a good drum circle or the Oregon fair when it comes to town, everyone wears masks and costumes and plays Janis Joplin music and its a blast of a time Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Irishdize's post
29-01-2014, 04:27 PM
(29-01-2014 04:24 PM)Irishdize Wrote:  
(29-01-2014 04:17 PM)kellyrm Wrote:  Hmm...so like it was said earlier, hippies.

Maybe, what is wrong with hippies? I personally love a good drum circle or the Oregon fair when it comes to town, everyone wears masks and costumes and plays Janis Joplin music and its a blast of a time Smile

LOL I never said anything was wrong with hippies...I wasn't born until the 80s, so I didn't get to experience true 70s hippies, but from the stories my dad tells and the weird shit he puts on his walls, I'll go out on a limb and say hippies are pretty cool CoolCool

~Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.~
29-01-2014, 04:33 PM
(29-01-2014 04:14 PM)Irishdize Wrote:  There is a difference from the Pantheist or Naturalistic Pagan side though.

Welcome back, Irishdize.

You haven't been around for a long time. Smile

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
29-01-2014, 04:40 PM
(29-01-2014 04:27 PM)kellyrm Wrote:  I'll go out on a limb and say hippies are pretty cool CoolCool

It may appear that way now a days, but truth be told. they were dirty, disgusting, out of their mind on drugs assholes that had no honor.

Not to ruin your ideology of the times, and there were some great things about it, but the hippy culture wasnt the high point of it.

I feel for you guys that missed the probably most turbulant times of sex,drugs and rock and roll, which were great, but I wouldnt want to go through it again...... unless I was 20 again. Big Grin
29-01-2014, 04:44 PM
(29-01-2014 04:40 PM)War Horse Wrote:  
(29-01-2014 04:27 PM)kellyrm Wrote:  I'll go out on a limb and say hippies are pretty cool CoolCool

It may appear that way now a days, but truth be told. they were dirty, disgusting, out of their mind on drugs assholes that had no honor.

Not to ruin your ideology of the times, and there were some great things about it, but the hippy culture wasnt the high point of it.

I feel for you guys that missed the probably most turbulant times of sex,drugs and rock and roll, which were great, but I wouldnt want to go through it again...... unless I was 20 again. Big Grin

Well I'm in my 20s, so it's ok for me to think it's awesome, right? LOL my dad is still about 80% of what you just described as a hippy, so I think you reassured (not ruined) the way I see the hippy culture Tongue On the other hand, I have no desire to run wild having sex and doing drugs, but it's fun to think of how it used to be Cool

[+] 1 user Likes kellyrm's post
29-01-2014, 05:59 PM
(29-01-2014 04:44 PM)kellyrm Wrote:  
(29-01-2014 04:40 PM)War Horse Wrote:  It may appear that way now a days, but truth be told. they were dirty, disgusting, out of their mind on drugs assholes that had no honor.

Well I'm in my 20s, so it's ok for me to think it's awesome, right? LOL my dad is still about 80% of what you just described as a hippy, so I think you reassured (not ruined) the way I see the hippy culture Tongue On the other hand, I have no desire to run wild having sex and doing drugs, but it's fun to think of how it used to be Cool

Pay no attention to War Horse. It was great. Thumbsup

Nah, he's partly right. The hippy culture started out idealistic and positive, but it did devolve into something unhealthy.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post