Atheism vs Pantheism
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-01-2014, 06:05 PM
RE: Atheism vs Pantheism
(29-01-2014 05:59 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-01-2014 04:44 PM)kellyrm Wrote:  Well I'm in my 20s, so it's ok for me to think it's awesome, right? LOL my dad is still about 80% of what you just described as a hippy, so I think you reassured (not ruined) the way I see the hippy culture Tongue On the other hand, I have no desire to run wild having sex and doing drugs, but it's fun to think of how it used to be Cool

Pay no attention to War Horse. It was great. Thumbsup

Nah, he's partly right. The hippy culture started out idealistic and positive, but it did devolve into something unhealthy.

LOL I guess to avoid that dirty stigma that comes from referring to themselves as hippies, the new hippies will be called Pantheists...seems legit

~Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.~
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-01-2014, 07:22 PM
RE: Atheism vs Pantheism
There are a variety of pantheisms - some can lean towards an atheism with a pumped up reverence for nature whilst others are more pagan and can include paranormal or magical beliefs.

Pantheism is also a term used for philosophers who might have a problem with physicalism/materialism as a theory to explain all reality but do not accept the notion of a personal, transcendent or "anthropomorphic" God - or for that matter any concept of God "separate" from the universe or nature.

For example there are Platonists or those mathematic realists who do not see how universals (in logic or mathematics) can be reconciled with physicalism/materialism and use pantheism as a way to reconcile this age old philosophical problem i.e all of nature is God and the mind of God is something like mathematics - this is along the lines of Einsteins Pantheism. Spinoza would have also included Ethics within this and "pure reason" as being the mind of God - but these cannot be separated from the universe.
In some sense mathematics is the universe and when "the whole" is conceived of combined (mathematics, ethics, empirical reality, phenomenon, all the various parts including humans - is it ALL called "God").

One of the key distinctions pantheism has - both in Eastern religions (eg Taoism) and the West (Spinoza/Einstein) is that God is impersonal so there is no problems of natural evil to deal with which standard religions have a problem with. i.e there is no "personal good/benevolent God" - we humans are just part of a much larger system of causes & effects.
Of course its not hard to see why pantheists were accused of atheism, in some definitions it is just subtle semantic differences in how some words are defined.

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply