Atheist, Agnostic, Humanist? What am I?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-05-2012, 08:26 AM
Question Atheist, Agnostic, Humanist? What am I?
I'm uncertain of how to describe myself in terms of religious beliefs. For the longest time I've called myself an agnostic, but more recently I've gained a healthy disdain for religion in most forms. Most especially I oppose organised religion, particularly Christianity (I'm not fond of what I know of Islam either, but it's Christianity I'm surrounded with in my everyday life). I'm still somewhat superstitious: I knock on wood and I believe in a Tao-like life energy that surrounds everything. I am in awe of nature, though I don't worship it in any formal way. I do try to be kind to critters as best I can (I avoid killing spiders and the like, and apologise to them if I feel I must destroy them). Smile I oppose the indoctrination religions use to further their tenets and to enslave more and more people. I grew up Catholic: I had my First Holy Communion at age 10, I think, and was confirmed at 12. At 15 I asked, "If God knows everything, why do I have to confess my sins to a priest?", got no useful answer, and became, basically, an agnostic. I believe in the humanist statement that people can be good without a god. I don't care what people individually believe, for the most part: you can believe purple squirrels rule the universe if that's where you're at. I care about how people act. If you quietly believe in the purple squirrels, fine. I may think that's odd, but I won't challenge you on it. If you knock on my door and tell me I'm going to burn in purple squirrel hell because I don't believe, now I have a problem. "Your rights end where my nose begins" is a motto of mine. Treating people like second-class citizens (or worse) simply because they don't believe what you do about the nature of the universe is not acceptable.

I am open to the existence of things that are beyond my ability to perceive them. I don't think there are any beings out there that care about *me* specifically, and watch *me* personally in my day-to-day life.

I've called myself an agnostic for years, but recently I've used humanist, freethinker, and atheist. I'm not sure any of them are right. Not that I have a burning need to label myself, but it helps to be able to have a word to use when talking about these things with people. What do you all think? And please forgive the potential ramblingness of this post: I had a very early start today with not enough sleep last night. Smile Thank you in advance for any comments on this topic.

"The amazing thing is that every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. ... So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today." -- Lawrence Krauss
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes calmblueocean's post
04-05-2012, 08:40 AM
RE: Atheist, Agnostic, Humanist? What am I?
I don't think you can be a superstitious atheist. Deist maybe?

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
04-05-2012, 08:54 AM
But he doesn't believe in a deity, he just respects nature and life.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
04-05-2012, 08:54 AM
I don't know why you'd look to compartmentalize the self, but from your personal assessment, I'd say FreeThinker is pretty accurate.

It will allow you flexibility to explore life, while giving others a name for weirdos like you. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
04-05-2012, 10:17 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2012 12:34 AM by GirlyMan.)
Only aspect of your metaphysics I give a shit about is whether or not you believe in a postmortem preservation of identity. If you do I am keen to hear your rationale and plausible mechanism of action. Any plausible mechanism of action will do. If you don't, well then I call you Brothers and Sisters.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
04-05-2012, 10:28 PM
(04-05-2012 08:26 AM)calmblueocean Wrote:  I'm uncertain of how to describe myself in terms of religious beliefs. ...... Not that I have a burning need to label myself, but it helps to be able to have a word to use when talking about these things with people.....

Then ....... get some sleep. You are you. That's all that's important, labels, not so much. I'm with Kimmer on this one.

BTW, repent, and believe my friend.

[Image: article-1099282-02DDB36F000005DC-350_470x361.jpg]

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
04-05-2012, 10:50 PM
I'm a Sapian but don't tell anyone especially the A.F.A. No
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
06-05-2012, 02:21 PM
(04-05-2012 10:28 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(04-05-2012 08:26 AM)calmblueocean Wrote:  I'm uncertain of how to describe myself in terms of religious beliefs. ...... Not that I have a burning need to label myself, but it helps to be able to have a word to use when talking about these things with people.....

Then ....... get some sleep. You are you. That's all that's important, labels, not so much. I'm with Kimmer on this one.

BTW, repent, and believe my friend.

[Image: article-1099282-02DDB36F000005DC-350_470x361.jpg]
Ha! The purple squirrels indeed! XD Does belief in a universal non-sentient life force make me a weirdo? :?

"The amazing thing is that every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. ... So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today." -- Lawrence Krauss
[+] 1 user Likes calmblueocean's post
06-05-2012, 08:22 PM
Personally, I like to think of myself as a "rationalist". I feel at times that calling myself an atheist is too easy to be interpreted as saying I stand for nothing. It's the proving a negative argument I like to avoid. Saying I'm a rationalist is a much more positive way, for me, to discuss things I do believe instead of just denouncing the idea of god.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-05-2012, 09:31 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2012 09:34 PM by houseofcantor.)
Fucking Woof... I read his post as, I'm a Spartan, which of course got Leonidas in the brain going This is Sparta! and me thinking you need a kick in the pit. Big Grin

Listen up, grasshopper, I don't wanna hafta say this more than once. You are what you are. When you say what you are, the world will make allowances, that's doing it right. Doing it wrong is going, I don't know what I am, and the wolves go, come here little sheep. We got just the label for you.
(04-05-2012 08:54 AM)Dom Wrote:  But he doesn't believe in a deity, he just respects nature and life.
He mentions "Tao-like life energy" and my IFF goes, fluffy. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user